The Grosvenor Arms
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
The Kings Arms Inn(Gillingham)
  • Restaurant
The Crown Inn(Marnhull)
View Hotel
The Saxon Inn(Child Okeford)
View Hotel
The Fiddleford Inn(Sturminster Newton)
View Hotel
The Langton Arms(Tarrant Monkton)
View Hotel
All reviewsjunior suitepublic car parkcoffee machineboutique hotellovely hotelmr and mrs smithinternal courtyardgold hillbar areadeep bathwalk in showerroom was spaciousexcellent bathroomwine listboth nightsno liftwaiting staff
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I was really looking forward to a meal with friends at The Grosvenor. The architecture is lovely with a stunning conservatory. The staff were friendly and welcoming and the ambience was good. But the food was a disappointment. I thought the menu was rather limited and, only as we left did we see the specials board. This was not pointed out to us. The hake fishcake (starter) was mainly potato and the mango salsa was tasteless; the roast meats were rather fatty and the vegetables the hard side of al dente; the sundaes were rather odd and not entirely pleasant. I will go again sometime with the hope that this was just a one off experience

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 July 2014

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We picked this hotel as it was near to an event we were attending at the weekend.

On arrival I was impressed by the decor of the hotel and the ambience felt right. On entering the foyer a wonderful courtyard opens out in front of you,which was a lovely place to sit in the warm weather to have tea and drinks before dinner. The town is nice with some glorious views of the surrounding countryside.

Our room faced out onto the square and although there was some noise at night the furnishings were just right. All in all I really liked this hotel and the town.

I would have given five stars but our experience at dinner was odd given how well everything else went. My food was Ok but one of my companion's main course didn't arrive and was replaced with an inedible dish. The cheese was also very stale. Not good for a hotel with clearly high standards. The dining room itself is lovely as were the staff. The bar area (and adjoining courtyard) was very nice and the bar staff helpful especially the bar manager who seemed to work tirelessly from dawn till dusk. Were we there on an off-night for the restaurant or is there something not quite right about the organisation yet under new management.

I don't know the answer to this but I would love to see this hotel succeed as it has all the elements to be really good. If you are in the area or looking for a good weekend break venue you should consider this hotel and maybe the restaurant will have sorted out its problems.

Room Tip: We were in Room 6 with bath.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank NABAVEY
Reviewed 5 July 2014

I stayed only one night and didn't take dinner. The bedroom was very clean, spacious, and newly refurbished, as is the rest of the hotel. Very attractively done, with modern bath and shower etc. all usual things provided to a high standard. Lovely, high quality, fine cotton sheets, soft down pillows and duvet and a super comfy bed. The hotel is old and the new decor has been carefully done. Airy outside courtyard with fountain where we enjoyed a glass of wine. Breakfast was excellent, with fresh orange juice, soda bread, smoked salmon and scrambled eggs done to perfection! The staff were all charming and helpful. I would definitely return. Parking possible but limited outside hotel, but they give you a token for the car park just around the corner.

Room Tip: I had a room overlooking the street (pretty with lots of hanging baskets) so some slight traffic noise as I kept my window open.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank DrMaggieBailey
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

This is a marvellous place to stay - either for business or pleasure ... Friendly staff / nice rooms - no need to splash out on the Junior Suite though (we stayed there the first night as it was the only room
avail - but it is noisy) room 17 is splendid !! Dinner was very tasty tooo!

Stayed: July 2014