All reviews coffee machine junior suite lovely hotel public car park flights of stairs mr and mrs smith internal courtyard bar area gold hill walk in shower room was spacious stayed for nights excellent bathroom wine list no lift old building lovely town
Reviewed 2 March 2011

I recently celebrated my 50th birthday with 27 members of my framily (sic) at the Hotel Grosvenor. Charlie and the team made sure we had a wonderful weekend with private dining in the stunning ballroom, fabulous food, great wine and friendly service. Suites were divine and all rooms reported as 'lovely' - although the lighting was challenging!! This is the perfect venue for grown-up celebrations (although not so ideal for little ones). The bar is very chic, cocktails delicious and breakfast the perfect 'follow-up to a great evening - add the fact that the hotel is pet friendly and it's hard to fault. We'll be back (if they'll have us!!).

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 January 2011

Both dinner and breakfast were excellent. The beds were comfortable and our room (not facing the main street) was quiet. If I had to be hyper-critical (and I understand this hotel is under new management, so I will be as constructive as I can) I would suggest that the rooms are slightly under furnished - our large room had a bed, one easy chair and one desk chair. The lighting in the bathroom was adequate for bathing and washing, but the mirror over the basin was unlit, making shaving and make-up a bit of a hit-and-miss affair.

One final point - the thing that brings me back, and back again to a hotel, given that the accommodation and the food is good, is the attitude of the management. The (mostly young) staff that we came into contact with were polite and enthusiastic, but the management were notable by their absence (I think I did spot someone on my one trip to 'reception' - an office off the main hallway).

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 January 2011

My husband took me here for my birthday and it was a lovely stay. We had been upgraded to a really huge bedroom and bathroom, you could have fitted about ten people in the shower-not joking! We had a nice soak in the free standing bath and watched the tv!
We had a couple of drinks in the welcoming bar before a good meal in the restaurant. where the food was presented really well. The staff are all very friendly and service good overall. The only thing that wasn't up to our expectations was the breakfast which could be improved upon. Regardless, I would thoroughly recommend this hotel and if you stay in the next couple of months, they offer good deals.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 January 2011

A surprise invite from friends led us and our dog to this hotel. Having sat through huge servings of Xmas stodge we were expecting a paired down meal or two over the Xmas break. What came to table, at a very good price, turned out to be course after course of top London level cuisine. We have since found out that the chef is michelin starred and down-sizing to the country. Cannot fault the food at all - although if had to pick fault - the breakfasts were below parr - kippers over-cooked and waitress complacent.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 January 2011

My girlfriend and I spent 3 nights here over the new year. Nothing to say other than it was absolutely superb.

We were looking for a place with a relaxed atmosphere, great food and as a bit of a getaway from the hustle and bustle of London. It hit the mark.

Rooms:
We stayed in room 9, one of the junior suites. Great decor, really comfortable bed, roll top bath in the bedroom and best of all a lovely terrace. Shame we didn't get to use it much given the cold! But this is the room you want in the summer.

Food:
We had dinner in the restaurant the night before new years eve and again, on new years eve. On the first night, the menu was simple but excellent. The menu changes every day and everything was seasonal. Both our meals were delicious and good value. With a good bottle of wine, it came in at a little over £100. Most of the staff are quite young but were very professional and friendly. My only suggestion for the restaurant is maybe a little background music would help. The restaurant was quite quiet that night and without music a little echoey. But excellent nonetheless.

Breakfast was excellent. Small buffet table with fruit and croissants and a small a la carte selection with great choice. Great cooked breakfast and again, friendly service. New years eve dinner was great. The place was full and they served a 7 course meal. Timings were perfect and again, service faultiness. Bit of a mixed clientele of people ranging from 20s all the way up. Not a young group overall but otw of people who had clearly done what we had, to get away from the city.

Bar:
Lovely bar, great drinks selection, not overfilled with tables and professional bar staff.

Service:
Overall very good. The chap who checked us in (not sure if he was the owner or manager?) was lovely and clearly cared about the hotel and the guests.

Area:
if you are looking for a relaxing weekend break with some walking, great location. Shaftesbury is a lovely little town.

Overall:
We will definitely go back. Superb break. And it only took us 1h 45 to get home to southwest London. The only challenge is that the hotel only has 3 parking spots in the church car park behind the hotel, so that was a bit hit and miss.

• Stayed: December 2010