“Lovely little haven - Ann Martyn”
Review of The Old Farriers

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Shaftesbury
The Old Farriers
Ranked #16 of 23 Shaftesbury B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 April 2012

My booking was a very last minute one,over the Easter Weekend, and I am so pleased that I chose The Old Farriers. It is hidden away yet easy to find and a stones throw from Gold Hill and the Old Abbey Walk.
Dorothy is the most amazing host you will ever find, a delightful, lovely lady, nothing is too much trouble.
The room I had was the double, with its own private bathroom, beautifully furnished. Having your own entrance to the room made it very private indeed. I have not relaxed so quickly in any place I have visited in the world as I did here, I stayed for two nights and wished it was longer. I returned home feeling completely relaxed.
The view from the bedroom is remarkable, the peace and tranquility is fabulous.
The breakfast that Dorothy made, was as good as any 5 star hotel, from a Continental breakfast to a full English, as much or as little as you wanted.
I know that I will recommend Dorothy and The Old Farriers to my family and friends, and I will most definately return there.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ann M

Reviewed 28 March 2012

We stayed at Old Farriers for two nights on a weekend away. The b+b was really easy to find and Dorothy, the owner, gave us the warmest welcome. The guest rooms are private, with their own entrance off a lower terrace overlooking the spectacular hills from a height-it doesn't feel like the centre of the village at all. The room was neat and cosy with a generous ensuite. Breakfast was gorgeous, in a stunning living room. We felt really welcome and our stay couldn't have been better- would love to return.

Room Tip: there are only a couple of rooms- we had the smaller double and it was perfect.all rooms have access...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank katia p
Reviewed 31 January 2012

I can't tell you how lovely our stay was! Dorothy (the owner) exceeded all of our expectations by providing a beautiful room and 5 star service. The grounds of The Old Farriers are set among Dorothy's lovely garden and our room was on a veranda that overlooked the stunning Shaftesbury countryside. Dorothy provided a delicious breakfast every morning that catered for us vegetarians and even helped us to find great country paths to walk on. If I return to Shaftesbury I will definitely be staying at The Old Farriers again and will be recommending Dorothy's wonderful service to my family and friends!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Alicia M
Reviewed 31 October 2011

We stayed at the Old Farriers half way through a cycling trip between London and Devon, and Dorothy couldn't have been more helpful. From before we had even booked until the moment we left she made our visit to Shaftesbury as easy and enjoyable as she could.

The rooms are very nice, comfy, clean and warm and a lot nicer than I was expecting, and Dorothy's breakfast was splendid.

I would highly recommend!

• Stayed: October 2011
2  Thank JamesWhita
Reviewed 25 October 2011

We arrived half way through a long cycle ride; although our estimate of when we would arrive was a little optimistic (by around 2 hours) there was a pot of tea and warm cake ready for us on arrival, as well as an excellent shower. Safe and easy bike storage right outside the rooms and reccomendations of where to eat as well as a call to the pub to make sure they'd keep the kitchen open for us all made the stay really easy.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Laura S
Reviewed 3 August 2011

Very comfortable room with large balcony overlooking the country side. Love the extra touches & especially breakfast. Close to everything. "The Mitre" pub great for an evening meal. Thank You.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank TassieAussie
Reviewed 2 August 2011

My partner and I stayed here on the first Saturday of July after being recomended the Old Farriers by my brother and his wife. We only booked for 1 night as we were attending a wedding in Blandford but we wish we could have stayed for longer. I've broken down my review into headings, hopefully covering all bases:

The location: Right in the heart of beautiful Shaftesbury and close to Gold Hill. Set in a beautiful valley with views from the balcony to rival those of Italy, Portugal or Spain.

The buliding: The main house is a stunning, picture postcard cottage with a barn attached that has been converted into 2 letting rooms. Outside the rooms is a large veranda with stairs leading to a big balcony overlooking the aformentioned stunning view. We ate breakfast on the balcony. The BNB is tucked away behind the high st and it is quite dark at night but the room key comes with a torch to find your way to your room. We were pretty drunk by the time we returned to the bnb from the wedding and had no problem getting to our room.

The room: Our room was lovely, really well furnished and the bathroom was beautiful with good quality toiletries. Also, lots fo wardrobe space and room for overnight bags/suitcases. Furthermore, it was spotless! Tea/coffee making facilities and homemade biscuits were also provided in the room, as well as info about the local area. I can't remember if their was a tv as we didn't watch any television but I think there was.

Owner: Dorothy was charming and helpful from the moment we arrived to the moment we left. She is one of those lovely people who makes you feel welcome but doesn't invade your space. Some friends of ours were picking us up on the Sunday morning (they stayed at another hotel as there were no more rooms available at The Farriers) and I asked Dorothy if it was ok if they joined us on the balcony whilst we ate our breakfast. She was more than happy about this and actually made them some coffee and toast!

The breakfast: Good quality cereals, yoghurt and fresh fruit (bananas and berries), followed by a delicious full English made from locally sourced produce. Toast and local jams to follow.

The price: I felt that The Old Farriers was underpriced considering how beautiful it is, the location, Dorothy's hospitality etc and I therefore paid more than the asking price.

I would definitely stay here again. Our friends were very jealous when they picked us up as their hotel turned out to be pretty grotty with a very unfriendly owner and terrible breakfast. Therefore, we have decided that the 4 of us will return to the Old Farriers for a w.end when both letting rooms are available.

Thanks Dorothy for being an excellent host and providing a beautiful bed and breakfast that is a cut above the rest!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple