“An excellent friendly b & B.”
Review of The Old Farriers

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Shaftesbury
The Old Farriers
Ranked #15 of 23 Shaftesbury B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 June 2012

A small b & b with an excellent host in Dorothy. Stayed at the start of a 3 1/2 day walk that was a school re-union (after 45 yrs!). The two bedrooms are both nicely furnished and comfortable. No problems with two old blokes sharing a room although we probably kept each other awake snoring! On arrival Dorothy gave us tea and cake as a welcome. Breakfast was really good and a perfect start to a long days walk. Would have liked to stay longer so may well return one day.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank hollywoodhero
There are newer reviews for The Old Farriers

Reviewed 8 June 2012

A lovely location with stunning views. Dorothy is such a warm, welcoming host and was so helpful. Breakfast was excellent: top quality ingredients superbly prepared. The independent entrance (room led out onto veranda) gave me complete freedom to come and go as I pleased. I really enjoyed my stay here. I couldn't ask for more. Exemplary. Dorothy, thank you!

Room Tip: Both rooms equally fine.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Peter K
Reviewed 21 May 2012

Dorothy is the perfect host, and you get the sense right away that she is pleased to have you as a guest in her home. The location is good--right in the heart of Shaftesbury--albeit a bit hard to find at first (Dorothy's directions are good, however). We initially chose Shaftesbury because of its location to other places we wanted to visit, but the town itself is definitely worth a visit itself, and we're so glad we ended up there.

The food was excellent, and Dorothy was more than happy to work with our dietary restrictions.

Dorothy had taken a bit of a chance on us; in the past she hasn't taken families with babies, and we were traveling with an 11-month-old. We had to do a bit of baby-proofing in the room, but Dorothy really seemed to enjoy having the baby in the house.

I should add this, to demonstrate the type of person Dorothy is: while we were there, another guest had a medical situation that required him going to hospital in Salisbury, nearly an hour away. The next day, Dorothy gathered his items, purchased a roller-suitcase for him, and delivered everything to the hospital for him. She even gave him a ride to the train station when he was released from hospital! A truly generous and loving spirit.

We highly recommend The Old Farriers.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Caleb T
Reviewed 15 April 2012

My booking was a very last minute one,over the Easter Weekend, and I am so pleased that I chose The Old Farriers. It is hidden away yet easy to find and a stones throw from Gold Hill and the Old Abbey Walk.
Dorothy is the most amazing host you will ever find, a delightful, lovely lady, nothing is too much trouble.
The room I had was the double, with its own private bathroom, beautifully furnished. Having your own entrance to the room made it very private indeed. I have not relaxed so quickly in any place I have visited in the world as I did here, I stayed for two nights and wished it was longer. I returned home feeling completely relaxed.
The view from the bedroom is remarkable, the peace and tranquility is fabulous.
The breakfast that Dorothy made, was as good as any 5 star hotel, from a Continental breakfast to a full English, as much or as little as you wanted.
I know that I will recommend Dorothy and The Old Farriers to my family and friends, and I will most definately return there.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ann M
Reviewed 28 March 2012

We stayed at Old Farriers for two nights on a weekend away. The b+b was really easy to find and Dorothy, the owner, gave us the warmest welcome. The guest rooms are private, with their own entrance off a lower terrace overlooking the spectacular hills from a height-it doesn't feel like the centre of the village at all. The room was neat and cosy with a generous ensuite. Breakfast was gorgeous, in a stunning living room. We felt really welcome and our stay couldn't have been better- would love to return.

Room Tip: there are only a couple of rooms- we had the smaller double and it was perfect.all rooms have access...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank katia p
Reviewed 31 January 2012

I can't tell you how lovely our stay was! Dorothy (the owner) exceeded all of our expectations by providing a beautiful room and 5 star service. The grounds of The Old Farriers are set among Dorothy's lovely garden and our room was on a veranda that overlooked the stunning Shaftesbury countryside. Dorothy provided a delicious breakfast every morning that catered for us vegetarians and even helped us to find great country paths to walk on. If I return to Shaftesbury I will definitely be staying at The Old Farriers again and will be recommending Dorothy's wonderful service to my family and friends!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Alicia M
Reviewed 31 October 2011

We stayed at the Old Farriers half way through a cycling trip between London and Devon, and Dorothy couldn't have been more helpful. From before we had even booked until the moment we left she made our visit to Shaftesbury as easy and enjoyable as she could.

The rooms are very nice, comfy, clean and warm and a lot nicer than I was expecting, and Dorothy's breakfast was splendid.

I would highly recommend!

• Stayed: October 2011
2  Thank JamesWhita
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shaftesbury
The Grosvenor Arms
#11 of 23 in Shaftesbury
Holbrook Bed & Breakfast
Holbrook Bed & Breakfast
#5 of 23 in Shaftesbury

Been to The Old Farriers? Share your experiences!