“Memorable stay”
Review of The Old Farriers

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Shaftesbury
The Old Farriers
Ranked #15 of 23 Shaftesbury B&B and Inns
HK
“Memorable stay”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

This review is a bit late as we were staying here about a year ago. Yet the very reason I need to write is I want to share with you this wonderful experience. The room is comfortable and clean and with a spectacular view. The breakfast is very delicious and with all the freshest ingredients. Dorothy shared with us while cooking and we enjoyed it very much. She is such an adorable and loving host. I mentioned about the little bit soft mattress on the added bed and she fix it the same day.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Carman W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
London
Reviewed 2 September 2013

3 generations of the Smith family descended on the Old Farriers and Dorothy couldn't have been more welcoming and helpful. The rooms were lovely. Comfortable, very quiet and with lots of nice touches like varieties of tea etc. and breakfast was delicious. We had a lovely stay and wholeheartedly recommend the Old Farriers for anyone wishing for an individual place to stay in the centre of Shaftesbury. I wouldn't hesitate to return.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank JintyLondon
Reviewed 14 July 2013 via mobile

Expected the verandah view to be from our room unfortunately not
(Picture a bit misleading) also pleasant evening apart from the noise from the pub
However good hostess, very comfy bed and room would recommend

• Stayed July 2013
oldfarriers, Owner at The Old Farriers, responded to this review, 25 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to add a review. To provide potential guests with a full picture I would like to expand on the first two comments:

The Old Farriers is tucked away to the rear of the High Street and on a windless day happy chatter from the excellent pub/restaurant can on occasion drift across to the verandahs, but I would like to stress that once inside your room any outside noise is not heard as The Old Farriers is built into the side of the hill. Guest rooms have french windows which open up onto a large verandah where you are free to sit and unwind or wander down to the lawn and relax under the shade of the old apple tree.

Please read guest reviews below, all will confirm an undisturbed slumber and an appreciation of hill top location and breakfast.
Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 November 2012

We have had two visits to the Old Farriers one at the end of October and one mid-November. What can I say that has not already been said. Dorothy is the most helpful and hospitable lady and her rooms are spacious, clean, warm and welcoming with all the little touches you could wish for. Breakfast is individually cooked to your requirements, and beautifully presented and really sets you up for the day. I would love to return to the area in summer to enjoy the benefit of the decking outside the rooms. Thank you Dorothy for most delightful albeit brief stays with you.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gavdot
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 November 2012

I enjoyed my stay at Dorothy's B&B. She is a lovely, warm, kind and thoughtful person. The room was delightful with a fab view down the valley and spotlessly clean private bathroom. The breakfast was scrumptious. I would definitely return.

Room Tip: The only reason Sleep Quality didn't get excellent was because despite the lovely thick duvet I...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Debbie145145
Westgate on Sea
Reviewed 21 August 2012

Welcomed and treated like princes by the lovely Doity, cordon bleu cook and hostess extraordinaire. Sparklingly clean room, exquisite views, as central a location as one could ever wish for and did I mention she is a cordon bleu cook? All food from organic and ethically sound sources. Top class all the way.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank FrankSpicer
Oxfordshire
Reviewed 18 August 2012

I needed a place to stay for the night before my brother's 40th wedding anniversary lunch, most places were not available for just one night. The Old Farriers allowed a one night stay. As I said it is very individual, with a most hospitable lady host, Dorothy. I had a poorly cat to get home to and that meant I left home much later than I had originally planned and due to a terrible connection at Basingstoke, I ended up arriving even later. This did not phase Dorothy, (although I am sure it did really) who came up to the High Street at just before midnight to escort me to my room. My fellow guests had just arrived from Italy so were exhausted and I was asked to be considerate, which I would also have appreciated in their shoes! I, too, was exhausted, so unpacked as quickly and quietly as possible for a fine sleep after a nice cup of tea and a biscuit. Up for breakfast, literally as the kitchen/dining/great room was immediately above my head. I was only sorry that I was expecting a big lunch, as the breakfasts Dorothy prepared for my fellow guests looked to be superb and smelled wonderful, so sadly fpr me, I stuck to juice, cereal, tea and toast made with fabulous local bread. The bread was so good that I am tempted to email Dorothy to get the name of the bakery and see if they do mail order! The Old Farriers is not for someone who wants a standard hotel, it is very individual, spotless and my private bathroom was definitely 21st century. Dorothy is a welcoming and very kind lady, a wonderful host. The only thing I would say is you do need to be fairly able-bodied as you access the B&B via a cobbled archway and it is up and down two short flights of steps and you go up to breakfast via an outside, metal staircase. That being said, I would totally recommend this to someone looking for a comfortable and welcoming base for touring the North Dorset area and environs!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shaftesbury
The Grosvenor Arms
#3 of 23 in Shaftesbury
Holbrook Bed & Breakfast
Holbrook Bed & Breakfast
#5 of 23 in Shaftesbury

Been to The Old Farriers? Share your experiences!