All reviewsswimming poolnight porterthree stargood sizepleasant hotelstayed one nightfamily roomtown centrecomfortable staybar and restaurantgold hillbed and breakfastbreakfast was excellentbiscuitsyogurtweddingsauna
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Dismal, dingy and dreadfully dated, welcome to the Royal Chase Hotel Shaftesbury.

The first inkling of dread is when you drive up the rutted drive - more potholes than the north circular. Next is the reception area, this should be a welcoming warm area where a cheery receptionist says hello and asks if you have had a pleasant journey - well you wont get that at the Royal Chase Hotel - our receptonist was to busy talking to her friend to bother about such an inconvinient thing as a guest.

Once booked in and being told there wasn't a lift, me my wife and 82 year old mother-in-law climbed the wibbly wobbly stairs (and I mean wibbly wobbly) up to our rooms. You are always full of anticipation when you visit a hotel, you wonder what your room is going to be like, well at the Royal Chase Hotel Shaftesbury ours was awful. From the curtains held on by only 5 curtain hooks, the dust, the fact that only the lower half of the towel rail actually got hot, I could go on about the shabbiness of the room, the rather grubby decor in the bathroom, the single half used loo roll that hung limply beside a rather well-used toilet but I won't, you get the picture.

The hotel smells like a care home, most of the floors creak and whatever you do, don't have room 17 if there is a Saturday night party on - you will never get to sleep.

Overall, very very disappointing, would I stay there again - perhaps, but only after the whole hotel has been upgraded.

Any redeeming features ?, well breakfast was okay, the bed linen amd towels were clean

Room Tip: Do not use room 17 if there is a function on and do not use room 45 until it has been re-furbished.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank pakjone
Lesley A, Manager at Best Western Shaftesbury The Royal Chase Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2013

Many thanks for taking the time the write this very negative review.BEST WESTERN The Royal Chase is many things ,"dirty,dismal and dingy" it is not.
We are not the most modern hotel,nor do we claim to be we are an independantly owned hotel whose customer service is i am proud to say second to none and previous guests comments support this.
We do not have a lift however we do have ground floor rooms had you requested one of these i am sure one would have been allocated.
To say the hotel smells like a care home is insulting and rude to the rest of our guests who enjoy their time with us as did the other 60 guests staying at the hotel the same time as yourselves.
It seems from the moment you arrived and believed you had booked a double and a twin room when in fact you had booked two twin rooms we were never going to be able to make you happy.

Its just such a shame that during your stay with us you chose not to mention any of your grievances ,on check out when you were asked if your stay was enjoyable you chose not to mention any of this !!
Thank You for your feedback.

Reviewed 31 October 2013

Upon arrival I thought it looked tired but it was getting dark. The reception area looked a bit dated but check in was swift and then I noticed that it is going through refurbishment.
My room had been modernised and was large and clean. robably the biggest hotel room I have had for a long time. Large tv on wall and very comfy bed and pillows. Yes I could hear the next room but only a little.Desk for work and comfy chairs to sir in.
Bar area is prob yet to be moderised and was a bit small. However staff exellent and served with a smile.
Evening meal was good and prompt and seak was as ordered which is usually wrong wherever I stay. Sleep was good and no noise from roundabout outside.
Breakfast was filling and large choice of hot and cold. Service again prompt and with a smile.
I would stay again when next in the area.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 October 2013

I stayed here for a weekend a few weeks back. I must say I was very impressed with the facilities that the hotel had to offer. The service was impeccable at all times, especially from a gentleman named Nathan i think..
Breakfast was fantastic, as was lunch. Definitely worth a visit if your ever in the Hertfordshire/Enfield area.

5 out of 5

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 October 2013

This full service hotel had everything we needed. Large room with plenty of space for luggage and desk use, great bathroom, good restaurant and adequate bar. The location is easy to find and great for touring around the Dorset area.
Can't think of anything negative about this place - great in all areas.

Room Tip: Get an upgrade to a larger room if available.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 October 2013

This hotel was pleasant, comfortable, clean, friendly, and a great value. The dinner menu at the hotel restaurant was nothing special, so we ate at the Grosvenor Arms in the town (Shaftesbury) which was excellent. We enjoyed the stay at the hotel and town more than we had expected to.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family