All reviews swimming pool night porter three star good size pleasant hotel stayed one night family room town centre comfortable stay bar and restaurant gold hill bed and breakfast breakfast was excellent biscuits yogurt wedding sauna
Reviewed 20 December 2013

Having read mixed reviews we arrived to find a great hotel ! Reception were efficient , friendly , the check inn was quick and efficient . Our room 33 was very large ,well furnished , modern and very well. Equipped , spotlessly clean a great result .Did not use the restaurant but went to the pub opposite and had a great value meal .

Had a drink in the hotel bar , it was very nice , the pool and sauna looked great ,all in all great value stay . We were at the rear in the new part of the hotel I would recommend you request this when booking

Room Tip: Ask for rear room ground floor
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Lesley A, Manager at Best Western Shaftesbury The Royal Chase Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2013

Dear Bill B

On behalf of myself and all the team at BEST WESTERN Royal Chase Hotel, we would like to thank you for taking the time to submit your review, it is greatly appreciated.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

I stayed here last Friday night; bit of a check in, straight out and back late for sleep. No complaints at all. Had an enormous room (3) on the first floor which was clean and very comfortable. Breakfast was good and attentively served. It may not be the most modern of hotels in terms of decor and facilities but you get what you pay for and The Royal Chase is very good value for money and half the price of some of the bijou pubs and B & Bs in the area.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Lesley A, General Manager at Best Western Shaftesbury The Royal Chase Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2013

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review of BEST WESTERN Royal Chase Hotel.We at The Royal Chase pride ourselves on giving value for money and excellent customer service, your review is appreciated.

Many Thanks

Reviewed 10 November 2013

Dismal, dingy and dreadfully dated, welcome to the Royal Chase Hotel Shaftesbury.

The first inkling of dread is when you drive up the rutted drive - more potholes than the north circular. Next is the reception area, this should be a welcoming warm area where a cheery receptionist says hello and asks if you have had a pleasant journey - well you wont get that at the Royal Chase Hotel - our receptonist was to busy talking to her friend to bother about such an inconvinient thing as a guest.

Once booked in and being told there wasn't a lift, me my wife and 82 year old mother-in-law climbed the wibbly wobbly stairs (and I mean wibbly wobbly) up to our rooms. You are always full of anticipation when you visit a hotel, you wonder what your room is going to be like, well at the Royal Chase Hotel Shaftesbury ours was awful. From the curtains held on by only 5 curtain hooks, the dust, the fact that only the lower half of the towel rail actually got hot, I could go on about the shabbiness of the room, the rather grubby decor in the bathroom, the single half used loo roll that hung limply beside a rather well-used toilet but I won't, you get the picture.

The hotel smells like a care home, most of the floors creak and whatever you do, don't have room 17 if there is a Saturday night party on - you will never get to sleep.

Overall, very very disappointing, would I stay there again - perhaps, but only after the whole hotel has been upgraded.

Any redeeming features ?, well breakfast was okay, the bed linen amd towels were clean

Room Tip: Do not use room 17 if there is a function on and do not use room 45 until it has been re-furbished.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank pakjone
Lesley A, Manager at Best Western Shaftesbury The Royal Chase Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2013

Many thanks for taking the time the write this very negative review.BEST WESTERN The Royal Chase is many things ,"dirty,dismal and dingy" it is not.
We are not the most modern hotel,nor do we claim to be we are an independantly owned hotel whose customer service is i am proud to say second to none and previous guests comments support this.
We do not have a lift however we do have ground floor rooms had you requested one of these i am sure one would have been allocated.
To say the hotel smells like a care home is insulting and rude to the rest of our guests who enjoy their time with us as did the other 60 guests staying at the hotel the same time as yourselves.
It seems from the moment you arrived and believed you had booked a double and a twin room when in fact you had booked two twin rooms we were never going to be able to make you happy.

Its just such a shame that during your stay with us you chose not to mention any of your grievances ,on check out when you were asked if your stay was enjoyable you chose not to mention any of this !!
Thank You for your feedback.

Reviewed 31 October 2013

Upon arrival I thought it looked tired but it was getting dark. The reception area looked a bit dated but check in was swift and then I noticed that it is going through refurbishment.
My room had been modernised and was large and clean. robably the biggest hotel room I have had for a long time. Large tv on wall and very comfy bed and pillows. Yes I could hear the next room but only a little.Desk for work and comfy chairs to sir in.
Bar area is prob yet to be moderised and was a bit small. However staff exellent and served with a smile.
Evening meal was good and prompt and seak was as ordered which is usually wrong wherever I stay. Sleep was good and no noise from roundabout outside.
Breakfast was filling and large choice of hot and cold. Service again prompt and with a smile.
I would stay again when next in the area.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 October 2013

I stayed here for a weekend a few weeks back. I must say I was very impressed with the facilities that the hotel had to offer. The service was impeccable at all times, especially from a gentleman named Nathan i think..
Breakfast was fantastic, as was lunch. Definitely worth a visit if your ever in the Hertfordshire/Enfield area.

5 out of 5