“Nice hotel but inhospitable staff”
Review of La Fleur de Lys

La Fleur de Lys
Ranked #3 of 23 Shaftesbury B&B and Inns
New London, Connecticut
“Nice hotel but inhospitable staff”
Reviewed 27 February 2014

First the positive: The Fleur de Lys is in a lovely building in a lovely part of Shaftesbury. The breakfast was delicious, and everyone I saw leaving the restaurant was pleased.

Now the bad: The staff have no sense of hospitality, particularly the owner. I stayed over the Christmas holiday and would have expected people to be friendlier. First, on two occasions the staff phoned to ask me when I was leaving the hotel so they could get on with their day. As the guest, I should not feel like I am being pushed out of my room. Second, my brother, who was not staying at the hotel, helped me carry my suitcases up the stairs upon arrival. He took a piece of candy from a bowl of candy displayed in the hallway outside of my room. The female owner of the hotel looked at him like he had just stolen something. After she had shown us to my room, she REMOVED the candy bowl from the hallway. A few days later when he was having another piece of chocolate, I heard her say to a fellow staffer, "That boy is raiding my candy jar again." I was paying more than $100 a night to stay in this hotel. Surely she can afford to spare a cheap piece of candy in a public candy jar. When I return to Shaftesbury I will NOT be staying at the Fleur de Lys.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank willinlondon
davidgriffinshepherd, Owner at La Fleur de Lys, responded to this review, 2 March 2014
Dear Miss Adams
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at Christmas last year, we do value all comments positive or negative, to try & improve our guest experience with us. We pride ourselves on offering a warm friendly & welcoming environment for all our guests in our small family run hotel, so were saddened to hear we did not meet your expectations on this occasion.

If I may explain we only ask guests what their plans are for the day so as to be as unobtrusive as possible for guest during their stay, but obviously given your comments I will review how we go about this as you seem to have felt we were pushing you out which is never our intention. I am also sorry if we were inattentive to you during your stay & am sorry for that, Christmas can sometimes be a very stressful time of year but that is no excuse.
Incidentally it was good to catch up with Graham again after many years as we have some great memories with him when he taught our daughter at Clayesmore & used to take her Skiing.
Wishing you well for 2014
Kindest regards
David & Mary

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 February 2014

I booked a room here for a valentines present to my partner as a friend has been here many times and highly recommended it. Its billed as a "restaurant with rooms" and their food is known to be brilliant, however their Valentines Night menu was a bit too pricey for us and there was a lot of seafood which we don't eat.
I paid a small supplement for us to have the 4 poster bedroom and it was definitely worth it! The room was nice and large, with a big desk (with a laptop for use free of charge and free Wifi), 2 seater sofa, 4 poster wooden bed, walk in wardrobe and beautiful bathroom (with a lovely huge bath and great lighting). This room is used in the advertising so I assume it is their best room, which is easy to believe, as it is so gorgeous.
The furnishings are luxurious and quality without being OTT and the little touches were brilliant such as a carton of local fresh milk in the mini fridge, 2 bottles of mineral water, a cafetiere and a tin of homemade biscuits including shortbread. The decor is clean with lovely soft cream carpets. The curtains and bed hangings are slightly old fashioned but still luxurious with gold and green silk being used. The only downside to the decor was the ongoing theme of cats (and it seemed like a random theme!) There were stuffed cat toys / ornaments / pictures / door-stops in the lounge/bar and hanging on the door knobs in the bedroom, the point was to hang them outside the room when you didn't wish to be disturbed. It made it look a little bit cheap but it was a small element and the dining room's Japanese painted Faberge type eggs made up for it!
On arrival we we were met by the lady of the house who was very efficient, almost to the point of rushing us! However, when we met her later on she was very friendly and polite.
The bar and lounge were small but cosy with a real log fire and piano which you were allowed to play, if you can! There's also a small TV in the communal lounge should you wish to watch.
Breakfast was gorgeous as they served all fresh and local produce. The orange juice was squeezed fresh on site as is the apple juice I believe. The option of mixing and matching the continental breakfast with the full English breakfast was nice. Again, the coffee served was a cafetiere and the crockery was of great style and the teapot didn't drip!! The service at breakfast was also brilliant and nothing is too much trouble.
Whilst there is on site parking, it's higgledy piggledy and when we came back after dinner at night, everyone was blocking everyone else in. Saying that though, the staff came and got my car keys to move my car so as not to disturb us too much, which was appreciated as we'd had a glass of fizz or two! The short alley way into the car park is also very narrow so if you have a big car or you're particularly precious about your vehicle, hold your breath!!!
All in all an amazing stay at a gorgeous hotel, with lovely staff and an amazing bedroom. Shaftesbury is also a lovely location with lots of history, cue shops and friendly pubs.

Room Tip: Chardonnay room is the 4 poster bed room with a £10 supplement per night.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mesulina
Thank you for your kind words & are very please you had such a lovely stay with us over Valentines

Best wishes for 2014

Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
Reviewed 26 September 2013

We had a really lovely time staying there the service was second to none could not fault it
Had a fabulous evening meal there on Saturday night the food was excellent and so was the service we had a lovely young waitress by the name of Darryl who looked after us.
The hosts of the Hotel were very friendly and helpful.

Felt relaxed at this hotel, it felt like home. Recommend highly. Breakfasts were surreal.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Elizabeth W
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2013

This lovely little hotel is a real pleasure to stay in. Everyone was very welcoming and friendly. The rooms were lovely, by which I include the dining room, sitting room and our bedroom, which arrived equiped with tea and coffee, milk in a fridge that was properly cold, and homemade biscuits, a lovely touch! We did not eat dinner there (as we were staying there for a wedding) but the breakfast was lovely, with a wide choice including full cooked and continental. I had the continental, which came with a homemade, hot blueberry muffin, which was delicious.

Also very handy was that we were given a key to the outside door, so we could let ourselves in when we got back late from the wedding.

Our stay was almost perfect - the only downside for me was the bed, which had almost no give in it, which I felt was a little like sleeping on a table tennis table, although my boyfriend disagreed and had a very pleasant night's sleep!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank EleanorH856
Ibiza, Spain
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Beautifully furnished rooms, including the lounges. The service here is always exceptional, as is the food . What a joy to sleep in a really comfortable bed. The location in Shaftesbury is ideal and even a few parking spaces at the rear if you plan to stay overnight, which you should do, as after a gourmet dining experience who wants to drive home. And there is an elegant ground floor bedroom for those not fleet of foot.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Roadtripparsnip
co-owner, Owner at La Fleur de Lys, responded to this review, 1 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us last year
Glad you had a good time hope to see you again one day

Kindest Regards

London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2013

Really had a very enjoyable evening here, would wholly recommend to others looking for relaxed dining with excellent food in a premium Inn. David and Mary are very helpful, kind and have helped us a lot through the booking process and during our stay.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Carl P
gloucestershire
Reviewed 15 July 2013

My husband & I stayed here on Saturday, the room was spotless & the food exceptional. It would of been nice to have a blind on the sky light in our room as the sun was beaming in on me very early in the morning (although I think it might prove difficult to do) apart from that little niggle & the young girl "asking me if I was alright" the next morning (still bemused by that!? I am only 50!) we would certainly stay again as the owners work exceptionally hard to make your stay an enjoyable one. Well done!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
davidgriffinshepherd, Owner at La Fleur de Lys, responded to this review, 17 July 2013
Good Evening

Thank you for taking the time to post a review, Mary & I are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us.
We are looking into how we can attach a blind to the Velux window in this particular room & thank you for your observations on the early morning light, we hope it didn't wake you too early.

Look forward to seeing you both again when visiting Shaftesbury

Kindest Regards & best Wishes

David & Mary
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shaftesbury
Best Western Shaftesbury The Royal Chase Hotel
The Pembroke Arms Hotel
3 Ivy Cross
3 Ivy Cross
#1 of 23 in Shaftesbury

Been to La Fleur de Lys? Share your experiences!