“Fantastic flavours in a charming setting”
Review of Beggars' Banquet Cafe - CLOSED

Beggars' Banquet Cafe
Price range: US$5 - US$15
Cuisines: International
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Situated in a beautiful location just off Shaftesbury High Street in lovely Dorset the cafe serves delicious world and home vegetarian cuisine, freshly squeezed juices, smoothies & shakes, organic coffee & tea, homemade gluten free cakes, fine wines and cocktails. We bake our own spelt wheat bread, cakes, brownies and flapjacks. The menu offers food for vegan, gluten and dairy free diets and also caters for children. The walls of the old stable premises are adorned with rare & vintage vinyl which is also for sale. We have recently turned our function room into a fully stocked bar - onThursday, Friday and Saturday evenings we are open serving cocktails & carefully selected wines & beers, & we host regular live music nights as well as themed food evenings. Enjoy sitting by the bespoke log fire on a chilly night, or when it's sunny you can soak up the rays in our courtyard. At Beggars' Banquet it is our intention to serve delicious wholesome food in a relaxed atmosphere, where people can meet and greet, find out what's happening locally or just chill out and spend valuable solo time.
Shaftesbury, United Kingdom
“Fantastic flavours in a charming setting”
Reviewed 24 October 2013

I had the huevos rancheros and my son the all day vegetarian breakfast.
Each plate was substantial even for a 'lite bite' and full of variety with small salads packed with flavour to accompany the main dishes.

My son claimed it was the best vegetarian sausage he had ever tasted and it went well with his Mango Lassi. My egg was done to perfection on a spicy bean re-fry. We loved the mushrooms, packed with flavour like they should be.

De-caf coffe was available and of a good quality with the brownie and carrot cake. The brownie was so good we had two more and took 4 home.

Very good value food served with attention and love in a lovely little cafe.
If only I could cook like this, perhaps I'll ask for lessons!

• Visited August 2013

Sturminster Newton, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“poshpops”
Reviewed 26 September 2013

not a vegetarian but loves vegetarian meal. Food was delicious very mediteranean. Quite small and cosy had a nice feel to it. will be back!

• Visited September 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best brownie around”
Reviewed 1 September 2013

Delicious food, especially the brownies and Flapjack! And as an added bonus they're gluten free, just perfect!

• Visited August 2013
Dorset
“Really lovely place”
Reviewed 20 August 2013

Real atmosphere - the smoothies are amazing.
Been twice now and enjoyed both times.
Also liked the music they were playing.
Found the loo rather disconcerting - with that floor length mirror.

Visited August 2013
Iwerne Minster, United Kingdom
“Devout carnivore converted....well almost”
Reviewed 15 July 2013

I do love meat and like most sad carnivores I don’t really think a meal is a meal unless it put a fight up for its life at some point. However, I’ve been to this place a few times now and now and really like it. The restaurant itself is really small with only several tables inside but outside seating as well.
The menu is short but they do have specials that they put on as well including soups, curries and various snacks. The last time i went i had a burger with a really lovely interesting salad, a food dish that i avoid through its shear normally tedious nature. I had this with a mango lasi that was truly delicious and i could have done with a few more. And best of all, the place is cheap.
The place itself, even without the food, is worth a visit with its great music and live shows, I think every week. Although where they actually put them in such a small place still confuses me.

• Visited June 2013