“Lovely food, shame about the atmosphere” 4 of 5 bubbles

Le Chanterelle
Price range: US$102 - US$102
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating
“Lovely food, shame about the atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2011

We visited Le Chanterelle after our regular haunt was fully booked, as a birthday meal. We had heard it recommended and figured we'd give it a go. After ringing and booking, we arrived and were met at the door by the hostess and found the place to be empty apart from us. In a way, it was nice to have it to ourselves, but it did make it feel like you were imposing a bit and it did lack atmosphere as a result. The service was unintrusive, despite our being there by ourselves, and they were accommodating of our 5yr old too. Unfortunately, the chef was overheard arguing with the hostess (I can't say waitress as it just doesn't feel accurate!) and it only made us feel more uncomfortable. I know arguments happen in restaurants but not normally where they can be overheard. Rather unprofessional really.
We were given fresh bread and roasted nuts as aperetif, which was nice. Starters were well made and nicely flavoured. The tomato tart was packed with tomato flavour and perfectly sized. The pate was delicious although slightly oversized as a starter. The cheese souffle was too rich for our daughter (despite recommendation from the staff) and in too large a portion for most people as a starter let alone a child. The main courses were a bit of a let down after the starters but pleasant enough. The confit duck was overcooked and the lamb shank was lacking in real flavour (although the accompanying ratatouille was very tasty). Could have done with more vegetables really, 3 asparagus spears is not much for a whole lamb shank or duck leg.
Pudding was a triumph. Lemon tart was evidently homemade and tasty. The strawberry sorbet with the tart
was overpowered by the Rose water in it which made it taste of Turkish delight and not to my liking although hubby ate the lot. The chocolate fondant was exactly what a fondant should be - gooey in the middle and on the right side of sweet without being sickly.
Overall, it was a bit of a mixed bag. I enjoyed my meal but wasn't enthralled by it. Would I go back? Probably not. £25 for 3 courses is very good value but I would pay that bit more for a higher standard of meal at our usual haunt. On a busier night, the whole place could be completely different. The chef is only young and can be forgiven for the flaws in the dishes we had but I still wanted that bit more.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Whiterose1407

Dorset
“Superb!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2011

Ate here and had a fantastic meal. My wife and I were the only ones there the night we went but the lovely staff made us really welcome. Food is really very good - compares to some much more expensive places. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone.

1 Thank CoDorset
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Restaurant! - Superb Food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2011

The best restaurant we have vistited in ages! - Food was exquisite and service could not be faulted....we will definately be visiting again and would strongly reccommend!!

• Visited March 2011
1 Thank portia_browning
Surrey, UK
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Hidden gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2010

La Chanterelle doesn't really look much from the outside, but is well worth a visit. Excellent food, a very warm welcome and a dining room which combines the character of this old building with a modern (but not self-conciously so) style. Recommended.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Toby048
Canterbury, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food, great little place.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2010

After spending time visiting family in Shaftsbury, I found myself in Le Chanterelle, a charming old restaurant, with modern interior and classic dinning style tables. The experience was great, with attentive service throughout and thought going in to the dishes construction, flavours and presentation.

The restaurant was not very busy, which surprised us, as the value for the suburb standard of food was excellent. I think with more people it would have slightly improved, with a busier atmosphere, but as it was it was very pleasant and it meant the attentive service was of the highest standard. For £25 and after the chefs seasoned aperitifs, we knew we were in for a good evening.

The highlight for me was the Pork, which was presented with a flourish of artistic skill, but more to the point tasted amazing. The depth of the sauce and flavours were stunning, next to a tender well seasoned piece of Pork. Our table had a full compliment of different dishes and I confess I wanted to try them all. I have to compliment the kitchen on their excellently presented and constructed dishes. There was a real sense of continuity in style and complimenting dishes throughout the courses, which I find really important.

My only criticism is that I have had to travel all the way form Canterbury, and unfortunately will not be able to make it a regular occurrence. Bring on Christmas, when we’ve booked a table already and hope the winter menu is as delightful as it was this time. There are many nice restaurants near me in Canterbury, but none (even the Abode), which can compete with this menu and efforts.

Tim Slater