“Great food, great little place.”
Review of Le Chanterelle - CLOSED

Price range: US$102 - US$102
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 26 August 2010

After spending time visiting family in Shaftsbury, I found myself in Le Chanterelle, a charming old restaurant, with modern interior and classic dinning style tables. The experience was great, with attentive service throughout and thought going in to the dishes construction, flavours and presentation.

The restaurant was not very busy, which surprised us, as the value for the suburb standard of food was excellent. I think with more people it would have slightly improved, with a busier atmosphere, but as it was it was very pleasant and it meant the attentive service was of the highest standard. For £25 and after the chefs seasoned aperitifs, we knew we were in for a good evening.

The highlight for me was the Pork, which was presented with a flourish of artistic skill, but more to the point tasted amazing. The depth of the sauce and flavours were stunning, next to a tender well seasoned piece of Pork. Our table had a full compliment of different dishes and I confess I wanted to try them all. I have to compliment the kitchen on their excellently presented and constructed dishes. There was a real sense of continuity in style and complimenting dishes throughout the courses, which I find really important.

My only criticism is that I have had to travel all the way form Canterbury, and unfortunately will not be able to make it a regular occurrence. Bring on Christmas, when we’ve booked a table already and hope the winter menu is as delightful as it was this time. There are many nice restaurants near me in Canterbury, but none (even the Abode), which can compete with this menu and efforts.

Tim Slater
Palace Street
Canterbury

1  Thank TASlater

Reviewed 9 July 2010

Myself and 3 friends visited Le Chanterelle on Saturday 3 July. We had pre-booked as one of our party had special dietry requirements. Ryan the chef had taken infinite time and trouble to create a special menu for my friend which was excellent. The rest of us selected from the 3 course Bistro menu that was on offer at a very reasonable £25.

We each chose a different starter and all were really good, in particular my friends cheese souffle was superb (I had a taste). For the main course, two of us had the lamb and one had the duck, all were delicious. Three cheers for the chef!

As for the service, the chef's mother (sorry, missed your name) did a great job and the service was faultless. We were greeted at the door (nice touch). The ambience was lovely, despite the fact that there were not many customers at the time (blame the football). The selection of music was just right, varied and at the correct volume. I did mention at the time that it was nice that the candles were lit on each table, not just those occupied. It's the little things that people notice.

I would not hesitate to recommend this restaurant. Get yourself over there and bring your friends!

1  Thank RoseThorne
Reviewed 28 June 2010

As regular visotrs we have never been disappointed - the welcome by the chef and his mother, the relaxed ambience of the dining room and the absolutely superb food. We cannot recommend it highly enough.

1  Thank PGJMA
Reviewed 1 June 2010

Would hightly recommend this lovely restaurant. A friendly welcome being greeted at the door by the owner, the restaurant has been very tastefully renovated and has a lovely atmosphere. The food was fantastic, compliments to the chef, and coupled with a resonably priced wine list it was all in all a very pleasurable eperience, one that we will be repeating again soon hopefully. Thank you

2  Thank tilucy
Reviewed 25 November 2009

a lovely restaurant seving good food, the service was attentive and the wine list O.K. only bad thing was the location but once you are there the atmosphere makes up for the drive,

1  Thank Sofiasofa