“Lovely hotel in a great setting.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Eastbury Hotel

The Eastbury Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Sherborne
Winchester, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel in a great setting.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2011

Stayed just one night, very friendly staff in a great setting. Clean and comfortable room. Delicious breakfast. Due to my Motorbike breaking breaking down, i arrived very late and they left a Bucket of cold beers in the drawing room for me - superb! Hopefully, will make it back.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank CapnPugwash

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
Ludlow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2011

Last week I took a group of 20 architectural and garden historians to Dorset to visit properties there. We stayed at the Eastbury and for the first time since starting these trips 10 years ago I received no complaints, only praise. The food was excellent, tasty and varied, with something for everyone; the service was efficient and most pleasant and nothing was too much trouble. The rooms were well appointed with home-made biscuits, a good choice of teas, still and sparkling water and free wifi. As it is in the atrractive town, my group could go for a walk in the morning or evening to look at more buildings. If we visit Dorset again we will certainly stay there.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Western Australia, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2011

We stayed at The Eastbury Hotel which was charming with very friendly staff. The food is very good. The first room we were in was Cowslip which was very large and well appointed with a bath in the bedroom and 2 steps down to the ensuite bathroom. This had a good power shower. The bed was king size and very comfortable and unusually for a hotel, the lighting was excellent. Fluffy towels. The street is very quiet as most traffic turns off before the hotel and there is a large car park behind the hotel. Pretty garden and lovely conservatory to eat in. The bar is a bit dark. Sitting room absolutely beautiful. Free internet. Only problem is the very noisy kitchen extractor fan so beware the new annexe. The owner says he will try and sort the problem out. It is ideally situated for walking around Sherbone which is a delightful town. The standard rooms are well-equipped but quite small as are the ensuite bathrooms.

Room Tip: Rooms in main hotel are away from the VERY noisy kitchen extractor fan. Best one is Cowslip which is...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Maturity
Cheshire, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2011

My husband and I stayed at The Eastbury in August for 1 night, whilst in Sherborne. They have a car park round the back - easy to find.

We booked a Superior Room and stayed in the Yew, which we were shown to on arrival. Throughout our stay the reception staff were helpful and friendly. The room was large, nicely decorated. It had it's own walled courtyard accessed through French Doors with a lovely water feature. A lovely area to sit out on a nice evening.

The hotel is conveniently located for visiting the Abbey and shopping areas and Sherborne Castles.

We did not have chance to eat at the Sherborne, but did enjoy a great Indian meal in the centre of town.

Upon departure I received a call from the Sherborne informing me we had left a phone charger and checking details to post on to us. Great customer service and something that I find rare (I stay in hotels ever week for business and on the odd occasion when I have left something I have always had to contact the hotel!).

I would definitely stay at The Eastbury again if in the area.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Alton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2011

Firstly, the good points:-

- they accept dogs
- lovely (although not extensive) gardens
- charming restaurant (which was very convivial when we were there)
- friendly staff

the things we were less enamoured with:-

- the bedroom whilst nicely decorated wasn't massive
- the noise from the kitchen extraction fan seemed to run all night

I know a previous reviewer said that they were in Kingcup - and I'm sorry, I really can't recall if we had the same room but our room faced directly to the rear, so I would suggest that you avoid rooms overlooking the restaurant patio (as our room did).

The food was very nice but seemed a little pretentious (a jus of this, a timbale of that) but I have to say there were quite a few locals there who seemed to be enjoying it.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Cornwall
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2011

Booked 4 rooms in the Eastbury for Mon - Thu from late Mar 11 until early Jun 11 for me and my employees whilst working away. The reception staff were helpful, ever friendly, and really flexible when it came to the inevitable late changes each week to our booking. During our stay we used most of the standard rooms, and the occasional Superior and found all to be clean and comfortable, as well as good value. The food in the restaurant was consistently good with a good wine selection, all served by knowledgeable, helpful and friendly staff. Sitting outside on the terrace, under the large umbrella and effecient heaters was a delightful way to enjoy a drink an a bowl of olives prior to dinner. In fact I enjoyed it so much I am taking my wife and mother back for a weekend soon!

Room Tip: All very different so call the receptionists to talk through your requirements. Not all have a showe...
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2011

Took a friend for lunch. Food and surroundings wonderful. A beautiful place to hold wedding reception. Staff very friendly.

Room Tip: Didn't stay but am sure the rooms are excellent.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sherborne
BEST WESTERN Dorset Oborne the Grange Hotel
#1 of 6 in Dorchester
Bridge House Hotel
Bridge House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Beaminster

Been to The Eastbury Hotel? Share your experiences!