“I really hope I come back”
Review of The Eastbury Hotel

The Eastbury Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Sherborne
London
“I really hope I come back”
Reviewed 22 January 2012

I loved our room. We had one of the superior rooms, and it was great to be finally in a room that's better than the one we have at home. It was large with a massive bed, and a generously-sized en-suite, with a separate shower and large bath. We stayed for two nights and had two breakfasts and one evening meal. The food was delicious and seems to be sourced almost entirely from local producers. We arrived by train and the hotel is only about a 10 minute walk, if that, from the station. It's also very near the main street, Cheap Street, and you can also walk to Sherbourne Castle in about 15 mins if you don't have a car. Highly recommended if you want a romantic break only two hours from London Waterloo. I hope I come back.

Room Tip: I had 'Tamarix', a superior room, and it was great.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 January 2012

The Eastbury is a gorgeous old style hotel in beautiful Sherborne. All the staff were very welcoming and friendly with a degree of courtesy I thought had been forgotten. I had booked a single en-suite, and my room was very clean and well appointed, with all one could wish for and fluffy towels. There is a buffet style breakfast, with lots of choice from cut fruits, cereals, juices and various cooked breakfasts, tea and coffee. All in all a lovely place to stay, and will definitely stay here again when next in the area.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank richardw12
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 January 2012

Situated a few minutes’ walk from Sherborne’s beautiful high street, the Eastbury is a beautifully quaint building. There is off-street parking round the back but found parking on the street not a problem. Sherborne itself is also delightful to stroll around, be sure to visit the abbey, but our high expectations of this hotel - gained from previous reviews - were not entirely met.

On arrival we were warmly welcomed and escorted to the ‘quinze’ room, a four bedded family room (the separate bunkroom was locked) on the first floor, overlooking the gardens. The bedrooms are nicely furnished although the beds have soft mattresses. Acknowledging that it was January, we struggled to get the room warm despite the radiators being hot to the touch. Our biggest gripe about the room came from the fact that it is situated directly above the bar, as well as the outside terrace used by smokers. As we were only staying at the hotel for one night I determined to put up with the noise – which carried on until 01:30am. On checking out the next morning, I mentioned this on being asked “was everything ok?” The measure of a good hotel, I feel, is the way in which it deals with the things that don’t go quite to plan. My complaint about the noise was sadly met with indifference “it can be a bit disorientating waking up to noise” – for £139 per room per night, I should not have expected to be woken up by noise.

On a positive side, the breakfast was plentiful and a wide choice of dishes was available, from continental to smoked kippers or salmon. Request a room away from the bar and restaurant area and your experience of this hotel may be more in line with other reviewers.

Room Tip: Avoid the 'quinze' room if you like your sleep uninterrupted
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Garfster_S
EastburyReception, Owner at The Eastbury Hotel, responded to this review, 17 January 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to review the Eastbury Hotel. I am sorry that you were kept awake when you stayed. Your room 'Quince' is above the bar and ocassionally there is noise late into the night. Ususally we try to ensure that guests are not put in that room when there is an event taking place, I am sorry that did not happen in your case. In addition, I am surprised at the reaction of our receptionist when you departed and will look at how we handle complaints in the future to ensure that guests leave satisfied that their complaint has been handled in a satisfactory and professional manner.
Chipping Campden, UK
Reviewed 1 December 2011

Stayed at the Eastbury Hotel last night and what a lovely place it is, full of nice little touches and quality service. Will definitely come back if ever I need to spend the night in the area again... Thank You!!
The room was clean, spacious and had the most amazing bathtub.
Hotel is on a quiet street - didn't hear a single car outside.
Dinner (room service) was delicious... top class food.
Breakfast was very nice - tables had been allocated with a nice little printed card with names on to all the in house guests... really nice touch.
And most impressively, every single member of staff, from the receptionists and the people delivering room service to the lovely gentleman serving breakfast in the restaurant, were professional, polite, friendly and offered incredible service.
Love it... can definitely recommend the Eastbury Hotel!!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Scandie101
Tavistock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2011

Lovely hotel in the heart of beautiful Sherborne. Very cosy with friendly staff - thoroughly recommend. Elegant reception rooms and cosy bar - lovely breakfast.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank poshpetal
Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 November 2011

I had a long weekend as a luxury to myself (not always easy to do) and chose this hotel. The staff were really helpful and friendly, a beautiful room, lovely gardens and fantastic food. It is a stone's throw from the town center, which is full of pretty little shops and character (and Oliver's Coffee shop with THE best cheese scones!). Wonderful surrounding countryside. I felt really comfortable by myself and will definitely stay again (hopefully with my husband next time). I thoroughly recommend it.Thank you

Room Tip: Overlook the courtyard or garden for complete peace and quiet. But on a quiet road anyway.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Stayed just one night, very friendly staff in a great setting. Clean and comfortable room. Delicious breakfast. Due to my Motorbike breaking breaking down, i arrived very late and they left a Bucket of cold beers in the drawing room for me - superb! Hopefully, will make it back.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank CapnPugwash
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sherborne
Best Western Dorset Oborne the Grange Hotel
#1 of 1 in Beaminster
Munden House
Munden House
#1 of 1 in Alweston

Been to The Eastbury Hotel? Share your experiences!