“Relaxing, friendly, wonderful place.”
Review of The Bakehouse

The Bakehouse
Ranked #8 of 24 Sherborne B&B and Inns
Bradford, England, United Kingdom
“Relaxing, friendly, wonderful place.”
Reviewed 26 August 2013

This place is amazing!! We were so well looked after by Malcolm. We had a welcome drink in the courtyard when we arrived, a lovely room with a huge bathroom with bath and shower. The breakfasts were great and Malcolm is such a lovely and very welcoming guy who goes out of his way to look after all his guests. We took our dog at no extra charge and I think she had as good a holiday as we did playing with the resident Labrador Charlie. We will be back as soon as we get the chance.
This is not a 'posh' B&B but a very friendly, clean and tidy, down to earth place to stay and would recommend to all our friends.

Room Tip: Ground floor easier to let the dog out during the night or early morning.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank SharonandTonyP

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
london
Reviewed 23 August 2013

I stayed here this week, excellent place and location. Its like luxury place to stay Malcom is really friendly and helpful. Lots of places to eat also and its walking distance. Parking can be found on street also

Would stay again

Desai

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed 14 August 2013

We are a spanish family and we stayed at the Bakehouse. We love the location. The rooms are big and clean, nice furniture, comfortable beds , very quiet at night. The owner and his daughter make you feel at home, they are very nice and friendly. We had a great time with them. We will come back for sure.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Shrewsbury
Reviewed 12 August 2013

I have stayed in bunkhouses and hostels before so wasn't expecting luxury but this place was awful. There was dirty laundry on the floor in the hall and bags of rubbish all over the place but the worst thing was the fridge in our lounge area. It had somebody's medication left in it and old takeaway containers! I had booked the whole dorm out for my family and children so it should have been empty. There were chairs piled in a corner and good luck to anyone apart from a child fitting onto top bunk. There was no way we going to stay there with children and a baby. I can see why there are no photo's of the dorm on here so I have taken some to share. The owner was away when we were supposed to stay so there wasn't anyone to complain to. It wasn't even cheap £160 for one night.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank AnnaKShrewsbury
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 3 August 2013

The words that most readily spring to mind to describe the Bakehouse are quirky, casual and very informal. I might add friendly to that, for Malcolm is a friendly and welcoming host. It's dog-friendly, too, as you'll see when you meet Charlie, Malcolm's sweet-tempered, placid labrador (and if you're unhappy about the possibility of meeting a dog on your way to breakfast, then this may not be the ideal place for you).

The furnishings are an eclectic mix, no doubt reflecting Malcolm's time in the antiques trade, and the artwork may or may not be to your taste (I was in the room which had the oil paintings that a previous reviewer described as ghastly; while they may not have been to my particular taste either, I can't say that they bothered me one way or the other - to be honest, it's not my primary concern as far as choice of B&B goes). The room was clean, its bathroom small but adequate, the wi-fi worked well, the breakfasts were good and generous, the location - near the Abbey and the train station - very convenient, and the price reasonable, so it ticked the boxes I needed it to tick. And the place had undeniable character - both in terms of the building, which is listed and has inevitable quirks because of that - and its owner, who has an interesting and varied background and, to use his own words "doesn't do bland."

Neither does he do highly polished or prettified. Some might find the style of the place - like the walls of the old building itself - a little rough around the edges: don't expect fancy individual soaps or mini jam pots, and the breakfast room is also the de facto office, so it can be a busy place, with people popping in and out, while Malcolm keeps things running and chats to the diners; it's also a cash payments only place (this is clearly indicated on an information sign on the back of the bedroom door), so you'll need to plan for that accordingly; and whatever else you might say about the Bakehouse, what you can expect when you visit is a stay that will be anything but boring.

Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Efor
malcs52, Owner at The Bakehouse, responded to this review, 5 August 2013
thank you for your review , its interesting and useful for us to see two different peoples opposite views next to each other of exactly the same room !.we accept we are quirky not like mainstream b and b s . and we use our right of reply not to score points but to make people aware of what they are likely to encounter , so there are no nasty surprises for travellers , we are not a luxury hotel but a clean and friendly band b . our prices start at £20 per night , this is an old building which has been adapted to be a b and b so dont expect perfection , my personal view is if you are a very formal and precise type of person give this place a wide berth its probably not for you kind regards malcolm
Loughborough
Reviewed 1 August 2013 via mobile

Stayed two nights in the Bakehouse. The owner was very welcoming and the whole atmosphere was a home from home and with a very good breakfast. This is not an Ikea furnished type of place so it may not suit everyone. It is on a road but all goes quiet well before time to go to sleep. Also, it will appeal to dog lovers as you get a chance to meet Charlie, a relaxed friendly Labrador.i enjoyed my stay and would book again. The location is particularly good as it is a short walk to the high street, the Abbey, Sainsburys and the train station !

• Stayed July 2013
Chichester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Stayed at The Bakehouse for the weekend and find it hard to give it an overall rating. The host is charming, friendly and laid back - perhaps too much so - and the atmosphere relaxed. He seems to be more a people person than a business person: the potential of his property is fantastic if he could raise his standards. It's an old building which could be lovely with a littleTLC but at the moment it's a bit too shabby with very little chic. He's a former antique dealer and the furniture is a very mixed bag - probably the stock he couldn't move (with reason); the décor is similarly a mixed bag.

I think the host has a friend who paints: why else would he have hung the three large and frankly ghastly oil paintings in our room that I'm glad to say were on the wall behind the bed, so we didn't have to go to sleep looking at them. I know beauty's in the eye of the beholder but I defy anyone to behold these canvasses and find an atom of beauty in them. Our ensuite shower room was a cupboard with a fingerbowl washbasin on which the hot tap was so loose we feared it would come away in the hand whenever it was turned on. The shower itself was old, tired and grubby. The light in there must have been 40W. There was no soap except a very old looking bottle of liquid soap, and a couple of leftover bottles of shampoo.

Breakfast was good: fruit juices, cereals, full English and lots of toast, and on the first morning a large dish of fresh strawberries. Good coffee too, and hot milk when I asked for it. We were also given a loaf of bread to take with us when we left (I think he gets the leftovers from the baker's stall on the market).

As a B&B for a weekend it was OK. The worst aspect for me was the lack of cleanliness and poor maintenance. Improving both wouldn't be costly and could make a huge difference to guests' enjoyment, and frankly there's no excuse for this neglect. The best thing is the B&B's location - it's fantastic, only a couple of minutes' walk from the Abbey and the town centre.

I didn't read any other reviews before we went to Sherborne so went with an open mind. I can't help agree with some of the criticism and maybe the host should be a little less defensive in his responses and just do something about it. He has a great asset there with a lot of potential.

Room Tip: It's such a maze of a building and I can't remember what our room number was, but it was on...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank HappyTraveller186406
malcs52, Owner at The Bakehouse, responded to this review, 1 August 2013
thank you for your review , i am sorry you didnt enjoy your stay and probaly anything i say will be seen as defensive ? we set out to be an affordable relaxed b and b , we are not looking to be a boutique operation ,when you make your statement maybe too friendly and informal for you it seems to imply that you want something different from what we offer, why i reply to such reviews is not to be defensive but its so people can understand what we do and offer ,its very informal here , in my view rooms are clean and well kept , yes there is a dog here and always will be, food is well cooked and plentiful . we receive a lot of bread on thursday and saturdays from the local baker , what we do is give customers some free bread , or as you so politely put left overs ! there are plenty of boutique hotels in sherborne who will charge you twice what we do , if thats what you want i suggest you go there. i am happy with my product and my attitude . yes some bedrooms have small bathrooms but none are grubby as you suggest , we have an 18 th century listed building and are restricted in what we can do here . i have no intention of changing how i do things or the basic ethos of the place ,we do beds from £20 per night to £89 per night .and most people like it here and how we do things , clearly you dont lucky for us your views are in the minority i wish you more success in sherborne next time .i respect your right to tell people about my b and b and your views maybe you should respect my right of reply ?think about it