“Relax here and explore Dorset”
Review of The Bakehouse

The Bakehouse
Ranked #8 of 24 Sherborne B&B and Inns
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
“Relax here and explore Dorset”
Reviewed 10 January 2014

Arriving early evening in Sherborne for a family occasion, we received a lovely greeting from the owner & his beautiful golden Labrador 'Charlie'. Our room was clean and warm, with a large bed, big flat screen TV, & the requested view of Sherborne Abbey. The ensuite shower was nice and hot with excellent power (morning and early evening). Bed comfortable. Most important for me was the breakfast... cooked to order and delicious! Other reviewers say "Home from Home" and I felt that here. A lovely atmosphere day and night and an owner who cares for his guests. Thank you.

Room Tip: Choose room 2. Wonderful view of Sherborne Abbey both day and night.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dee J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Selsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 December 2013

I had a very enjoyable stay at the Old Bakehouse over Christmas.

A very friendly welcoming B & B, my room was extremely comfortable, nicely furnished

Always good to have a decent shower in the bathroom, and the one at the Bakehouse was no exception.

Plenty of large bath towels provided.

Good supply of Tea, Coffee and hot chocolate provided in the room.

Breakfast was excellent and cooked to order, and served from 7:00 till 11:00.

Highly recommended, and will definitely stay again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Ricky H
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 October 2013

I was on my own, and as I tend to stay in Hostels throughout the World, I booked 2 nights in a shared hostel room. As it turned out, the first night I was on my own, and the second, Malcolm the owner kindly moved me into a single room at no extra cost. Each to their own, but if you are looking for a very reasonably priced stay in a popular town, and don't mind a somewhat quirky setup, this is the place. As I had only booked for a hostel bed, the breakfast was extra, but this was excellent, filling and again very reasonably priced. The Bakehouse is also very conveniently placed for the best (and cheapish) pub in town, along with a good restaurants, and the Abbey.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Bradford, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2013

This place is amazing!! We were so well looked after by Malcolm. We had a welcome drink in the courtyard when we arrived, a lovely room with a huge bathroom with bath and shower. The breakfasts were great and Malcolm is such a lovely and very welcoming guy who goes out of his way to look after all his guests. We took our dog at no extra charge and I think she had as good a holiday as we did playing with the resident Labrador Charlie. We will be back as soon as we get the chance.
This is not a 'posh' B&B but a very friendly, clean and tidy, down to earth place to stay and would recommend to all our friends.

Room Tip: Ground floor easier to let the dog out during the night or early morning.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank SharonandTonyP
london
Reviewed 23 August 2013

I stayed here this week, excellent place and location. Its like luxury place to stay Malcom is really friendly and helpful. Lots of places to eat also and its walking distance. Parking can be found on street also

Would stay again

Desai

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed 14 August 2013

We are a spanish family and we stayed at the Bakehouse. We love the location. The rooms are big and clean, nice furniture, comfortable beds , very quiet at night. The owner and his daughter make you feel at home, they are very nice and friendly. We had a great time with them. We will come back for sure.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Shrewsbury
Reviewed 12 August 2013

I have stayed in bunkhouses and hostels before so wasn't expecting luxury but this place was awful. There was dirty laundry on the floor in the hall and bags of rubbish all over the place but the worst thing was the fridge in our lounge area. It had somebody's medication left in it and old takeaway containers! I had booked the whole dorm out for my family and children so it should have been empty. There were chairs piled in a corner and good luck to anyone apart from a child fitting onto top bunk. There was no way we going to stay there with children and a baby. I can see why there are no photo's of the dorm on here so I have taken some to share. The owner was away when we were supposed to stay so there wasn't anyone to complain to. It wasn't even cheap £160 for one night.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family