“Great food and very welcoming”
Review of Tawny's Wine Bar

Tawny's Wine Bar
Ranked #9 of 86 Restaurants in Swanage
Cuisines: European
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Hampton
“Great food and very welcoming”
Reviewed 6 October 2013

We were looking for somewhere to be at after 9pm and were pleasantly surprised that they still served food. The menu is not huge, but that's always a good sign. The manager was very welcoming as were the rest of the staff, it was in the midst of bthe Blues festival, and there was a great guitarist and singer performing that night, extra bonus for us! I had pan fried scallops which were delicious, with wilted spinach and a lemon sauce; my only criticism is that there was a little too much sauce and a bit too sharp. My husband enjoyed his chicken curry and our friend his sea bass and lemon tart. Highly recommended.

• Visited October 2013

Weybridge, United Kingdom
“Very disappointing - must have changed hands !”
Reviewed 6 October 2013 via mobile

We have been to the Swanage blues festival three times travelling from Surrey and have always eaten in this restaurant so we booked to eat here again this Saturday. On entering the restaurant, although full, there was no 'buzz' like there usually Is ! Was seated and told that it had to be cash as card machine was broke, not off to a good start - then we were told there were two dishes off the menu one of which we were going to have. Again not a good start. I had the sea bass, fish good but veg was not - I couldn't even cut the runner beans so stringy ! My husband and friend went for the curry - not impressed and vegetarian tart was so hard could not cut the base. Expresso coffees were awful , the wine was good. Service mediocre. I asked why no steak on the menu as we usually go for that only to be told 'we don't do steak anymore' !!!! Needless to say I don't think we will be eating in there again. The night before we had fish and chips on the seafront which was wonderful and a much better meal for a third of the price.

1 Thank Susanpamela
“Once great now dead”
Reviewed 26 September 2013

Used to look forward to coming here but service is now v poor, there in no atmosphere and nothing to make you feel welcome. Almost like you are a burden on front of house. Food is also average. So disappointing.

• Visited September 2013
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“Fantastic fish”
Reviewed 13 September 2013

I don't eat meat, so am accustomed to a limited choice of food. The Tawnys menu had 5 or 6 main courses that I actively wanted to eat. Choosing one and trying a little from the plate of a friend, I can confirm that the fish is lovely and cooked perfectly. Everybody was delighted with their food, and I would say that, unusually, this is a restaurant that I could go back to day after day and enjoy something different from the menu.

Visited September 2013
Rugby, United Kingdom
“Great little restaurant”
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Went to Tawneys more than once during our break. Liked the atmosphere and the staff were very friendly and helpful. The menu was good, maybe a little pricey but tasted absolutely gorgeous.

Definitely would go back and absolutely recommend

• Visited August 2013