“Nice cafe, nice location..”
Review of Brook Tea Rooms

Brook Tea Rooms
Ranked #12 of 13 Quick Bites in Swanage
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 8 October 2012

Sitting outside overlooking Swanage bay , probably one of the best cares available in swanage. The pasty I had was excellent, home cooked. My wife just had a cake which was excellent.

Date of visit: October 2012

Reviewed 9 September 2012

Very friendly and great cream teas. The tea was just right too. Will see you again next year!Thank you.

Date of visit: September 2012
1  Thank Babs S
Reviewed 8 September 2012

We have visited Swanage every year for the past 6 years and have been to Brook tea rooms before and have normally enjoyed it. However after todays breakfast experience, we will never be going again. We should have realised after yesterdays lunch experience.

We went yesterday for lunch. The vegetable lasagne was very tasty but cold, as was the sausage. The chips were very hard and not cooked properly. They did reheat the food and brought us out a new portion of chips but there was certainly no apology.

Today we dedided to go for breakfast. We dedided to give it another try as it has a lovely location and we put yesterday down to them having a bad day but unfortunately that was not the case.

We ordered 4 breakfasts, 4 teas, 2 croissants and 2 hashbrowns for £33, which would be fine if the food and service had been good. We sat outside. The table was very wobbly and the tea spilt if you knocked the table at all. The staff said this added to the character! There are no high chairs so not great if you have young children. When the croissants arrived, one was fine but the other was quite burnt and very hard. As they were for the children, I asked if it could be changed for another one. The reaction of the man who served me (I think it was the owner) was quite unbelievable. He was incredibly rude and unpleasant and said I couldn't change it. He said he had seen me touch it and put my hair in it!! I said it was difficult not to have touched it as they served the 2 croissants on one plate and as soon as I had realised it was burnt, I returned it to the counter. He continued to say it wasn't burnt and just golden brown but it was definitely a very different colour from the other croissants. Eventually, he did change it but very reluctantly and the whole experience made me feel quite uncomfortable - very unnecesary over a croissant. The rest of the food was okay but wasn't very hot. The tea arrived without milk and was a pretty small amount for 4 people (looked like the same size as that given for 2 peeple but they just charged us for 4 people - £1.60 a person).

Whilst I was there, I saw another customer ask for a sausage to be heated up as it had been served lukewarm. The staff didn't apologise and said that was how it was meant to be. They said it was meant to be pink and she kept saying she wasn't talking about the colour, but it is cold and she wasn't happy to give it to her young children.

I also saw another waitress bring out some coffees and when the customers said they had ordered cappuciono's, she just insisted the order was for coffees. The customers appeared too polite and just had to accept what they hadn't ordered. I also saw another man almost shouted at as he didn't know his table number when he was ordering. It was the same rude man who had served me, who I think is the owner.

Lastle, the toilets are horrible. They are very old and need updating, but apart from that, were absolutely filthy. The sink had horrible gunge and looked like it hadn't been cleaned for some time. The liquid soap bottle was empty and had had water added to it, presumably to use the last few drops left in it! There was no facilities to dry your hands in one of the toilets (no hand dryer or paper towels).

All in all a very very poor experience and not one we will be repeating on our trip next year. Such a shame as it is a lovely location overlooking the sea and could be so lovely. If I was you, I'd go elsewhere as there are some great places in Swanage.

3  Thank Georginaandfamily
Reviewed 25 August 2012

Highly recommended, excellent food, excellent service (thanks to Om) really friendly and relaxed atmosphere. Went twice in one week, and wouldn't hesitate to go again. If you're in Swanage, Brooke Tea Rooms is a must!

Reviewed 24 August 2012

From the outside this looks fairly innocuous but once you see the food it is clear a treat is in store. I found this to offer fantastic value as a sea-foodie with a taste as fresh as anything else in the area. My basic message is, go for the lobster as it is incredible value at under £20 given that other places charge nearer £30. It also comes with a good side-salad.

Sea-Bass is very good too when they have it, as is the mackerel, but I have found the menu here to change as it is mainly local produce. I love the view to the sea from here and like the simple, unpretentious service. The cream teas are superb too.

I have been coming to Swanage for many years and this place keeps getting better and better. It always delivers great food at great value prices.

Date of visit: August 2012