Very smart hotel, old fashioned character house with lots and lots of history. Sits in the centre of town up a gentle hill so easy to walk into town or to the beach to explore. The hotel sits in its own gardens with lots of nooks and crannies to explore - very peaceful. There is a separate modern hotel unit in the grounds, Louisa Lodge. We stayed in this part which is modern, clean and comfortable. There were a few knocks and scrapes to the paint work but these were very minor. The room was nice and cosy with everything we could need for a nights stay. Would do equally well for a week away. Two comfy chairs and a coffee table to sit and relax in front of the TV. Rather small bathroom but it was all clean and tidy with a nice deep bath and very powerful shower.
We didn't eat in the hotel but the menu looked good. We walked a short way down the hill to the Red Lion which was ok but just very basic pub grub. There is a variety of other restaurants and pubs within a very short walk so the hotel is really well placed to go out for a drink and meal and easily walk back.
Breakfast was cooked to order and all very nice although they do need a new toasting machine as you had to put bread through twice. (minor point but I've seen this mentioned in other reviews and agree) But juices and fruit, cheeses, etc were all topped up regularly and nice and clean and tidy.
Paid £75 for two people B & B for the night and I would say this was very fair, however this was a deal price and I'm not sure I would want to go back at the full going rate. They are advertising various short breaks in the winter and spring which include dinner and I would say from what I've experienced that these would be good value for money.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the Purbeck House Hotel, "An Oasis of Relaxation and Enjoyment." Purbeck House Hotel is a family-run hotel steeped in over a century of history. Nestled in extensive gardens in the centre of Swanage, close to shopping centre, Pub, Restaurant, this unique family-run hotel combines the atmosphere of a traditional country house with all the amenities of a modern hotel. Steeped in history, the 38 bedrooms are divided between the main house, constructed in 1875, and the newly-built Louisa Lodge (completed in 2003). All of the bedrooms are en suite, Tea/Coffee making facilities, LED HD Flat Screen TV, Iphone Docking Station, Iron and Iron Board, Direct Dial Telephone, Free Broadband WiFi Connection and some have sea or garden views. The hotel has a large car park and is only 300 yards from the sea front and the clean, sandy beaches.This Family howne this Hotel for the last 15 Years ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Agoda, Priceline and Hotels.com so you can book your Purbeck House Hotel & Louisa Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Purbeck House Hotel And Louisa Lodge
- Purbeck House Hotel & Louisa Swanage
- Purbeck Hotel Louisa
- Purbeck House Hotel & Louisa Lodge Swanage, Isle Of Purbeck