Such a shame - it has all the ingredients to be great but ........... so lets start with the positives: Good location, plenty of parking - we had a sea view - the room was a good size, the shower had oomph and the bed was comfortable. Add to this the staff in the restnt were courteous and efficient. Initial booking was good even the fact that they rang nearer the time to advise the first night of our stay was a Christmas Special and so dinner would be a carvery was fine.
Didnt take on board it was "us" plus such a huge gathering and catering on such a scale is rarely successful and not a particularly enjoyable setting. Second night starters excellent, puddings ok "mains" again a disappointment and with only 10 of us in dining hall no excuse, but much nicer setting. Come on tho'- in this day and age there is no excuse to only offer instant decaff coffee - reader: we went without coffee.
However it was "Receptionists" that really took the biscuit. Between the one on arrival telling us she had almost given our room away (it was around 6pm so we werent exactly late) and the one two days later giving me a three minute dressing down because I proffered a voucher she reckoned should have been handed in day before (and I would know that because?) asking me "what did I expect her to do with it" ( Oh I was so tempted) together with how it was all my fault we didnt have a paper today, although we had one yesterday, because I hadnt filled in form correctly on arrival............. Fully accept the customer isnt always right but we are still the customer and dont deserve to be treated like recalcitrant five year olds.
She lost the hotel the general tip we were ready to leave with himself going in search of particular staff to ensure our gratitude found the right pocket/s. Will we go back - what do you think??
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the Purbeck House Hotel, "An Oasis of Relaxation and Enjoyment." Purbeck House Hotel is a family-run hotel steeped in over a century of history. Nestled in extensive gardens in the centre of Swanage, close to shopping centre, Pub, Restaurant, this unique family-run hotel combines the atmosphere of a traditional country house with all the amenities of a modern hotel. Steeped in history, the 38 bedrooms are divided between the main house, constructed in 1875, and the newly-built Louisa Lodge (completed in 2003). All of the bedrooms are en suite, Tea/Coffee making facilities, LED HD Flat Screen TV, Iphone Docking Station, Iron and Iron Board, Direct Dial Telephone, Free Broadband WiFi Connection and some have sea or garden views. The hotel has a large car park and is only 300 yards from the sea front and the clean, sandy beaches.This Family howne this Hotel for the last 15 Years ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA and Ebookers so you can book your Purbeck House Hotel & Louisa Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Purbeck House Hotel And Louisa Lodge
- Purbeck House Hotel & Louisa Swanage
- Purbeck Hotel Louisa
- Purbeck House Hotel & Louisa Lodge Swanage, Isle Of Purbeck