“The best Xmas party”

Purbeck House Hotel & Louisa Lodge
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Swanage
Reviewed 17 December 2012

We had our staff Xmas party here this last weekend and what a truly great evening it was. The venue is gorgeous and full of charachter as it used to be a convent many years ago. I certainly remember it when it was. There are some stunning original features retained and it gives a feeling of timelessness. The attentiveness of the staff was second to none. From the moment we stepped through the door and were offered a glass of mulled wine, the ordering of starters and pudding and served from the carvery by the charming chefs was seamless. Top marks to the chef who made our vegan chocolate brownie for myself and a colleague. DELICIOUS!!! Nothing was too much trouble for the staff. The room was spacious and airy, well it would be, it was like a giant conservatory. There was plenty of room for everyone. Someties at these do's one an feel hemmed in. Nice touch to have the disco all organised by the hotel itself. The food was delicious and generous and piping hot. The only disappointment, for me, was that I couldnt have any of the most gorgeous looking roast potatoes and parsnips because they were cooked in butter; being a vegan, just couldnt do it. Please, if we come next year, can you cook them in veg oil/ Please, please, please!!!. A massive thank you to all the staff at the Purbeck House Hotel for helping to make our party special. Will definately be booking this again for next year. Stunning venue. I loved the room which must have been the chapel. Quite eerie because there was a big piano in that room with no ne playing but there was piano music wafting in the room. Nice touch. All in all. Great.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank nickyjiver

Reviewed 13 December 2012

Very last minute booking - literally on the day we travelled. Very good value. The staff were all briliiant - helpful, knowledgeable. They made this a really enjoyable one night stay. Great choice for breakfast. Restaurant looked good, but being tired, we went for a bar meal. Good value and good beer.

Room Tip: We were at the top of the hotel. Very quiet and comfortable. Nice and warm, even on a cold December...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rob S
Reviewed 6 December 2012

We love Swanage and have spent many a happy holiday when the children were small, mostly self-catering. So we thought a couple of nights in a hotel would be lovely. Swanage is still lovely, the Purbeck House Hotel is not! We arrived on Friday afternoon 16th Nov and found that there was plenty of parking and all looked good. We walked through the unkept gardens and found the reception via a back door. Receptionist was cheerful and told us we were on the first floor of Louisa Lodge. I reminded her that I have a Gluten Free diet and she confirmed this was on the booking form. (We booked with 'Late rooms', £179 for two nights B & B). She gave us directions and sent us off to find the room ourselves. We found our room on the 1st floor, which was spacious and very clean, so we thought 'great'. The bathroom on first appearance seemed clean, but on closer inspection there was dust on the toilet roll holder and the general decor was poor, there was even mould on the back of the bathroom door where wet towels had been hung. Towels were clean, but small, (I could only just get one round me and i'm a size 10/12!). The bed was comfortable and we had a good nights sleep and was really looking forward to breakfast. This is served in a large conservatory. The staff seemed quite friendly and I noticed on the form where they ticked off our room number it said 'wheat free'. When the waiter came to ask what we wanted I asked if there was any Gluten free bread. He said he would check with the chef, he returned and said that it had been ordered, but had not arrived. I was not pleased! I ordered bacon, mushrooms and beans. The mushrooms were out of tin and tasted disgusting. So I didn't eat them. The buffet was very poor, tinned fruit, bread, cheap yogurt and jam. When we had finished what we ate, we went to Reception to complain, the receptionist said she was sorry, and I told here there was no excuse and there is a very good Co-op five minutes walk away. Next morning when we went to breakfast, there was a loaf of Gluten Free bread on the buffet table, still in its wrapper as much as to say, we've got it help yourself. It would have been nice if the staff had have said, we have your bread for you and is it on the table for you. For the price we paid we expected much better service. All in all very disappointing. We have spent many happy holidays in Europe and have found the staff to be most accommodating and have made sure to check that the food is OK for me to eat. The British catering fraternity have a lot to learn!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 December 2012

Such a shame - it has all the ingredients to be great but ........... so lets start with the positives: Good location, plenty of parking - we had a sea view - the room was a good size, the shower had oomph and the bed was comfortable. Add to this the staff in the restnt were courteous and efficient. Initial booking was good even the fact that they rang nearer the time to advise the first night of our stay was a Christmas Special and so dinner would be a carvery was fine.

Didnt take on board it was "us" plus such a huge gathering and catering on such a scale is rarely successful and not a particularly enjoyable setting. Second night starters excellent, puddings ok "mains" again a disappointment and with only 10 of us in dining hall no excuse, but much nicer setting. Come on tho'- in this day and age there is no excuse to only offer instant decaff coffee - reader: we went without coffee.

However it was "Receptionists" that really took the biscuit. Between the one on arrival telling us she had almost given our room away (it was around 6pm so we werent exactly late) and the one two days later giving me a three minute dressing down because I proffered a voucher she reckoned should have been handed in day before (and I would know that because?) asking me "what did I expect her to do with it" ( Oh I was so tempted) together with how it was all my fault we didnt have a paper today, although we had one yesterday, because I hadnt filled in form correctly on arrival............. Fully accept the customer isnt always right but we are still the customer and dont deserve to be treated like recalcitrant five year olds.

She lost the hotel the general tip we were ready to leave with himself going in search of particular staff to ensure our gratitude found the right pocket/s. Will we go back - what do you think??

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 November 2012

This year the annual railwaymen's ball was held at the Purbeck house hotel. All of the staff looked after us splendidly and the food was simply excellent. This is a great venue for a great party!
Those of us who stayed overnight had lovely comfortable accomodation and most importantly a great breakfast!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Gary C
Reviewed 18 November 2012

From the High Street the imposing stunning facade conveys a sense of grandeur and the promise of luxury and fine dining.at
Descending from the rear car park and the first glimpse of a grand house there is brief confirmation as to the accuracy of that initial hope. Then you notice the somewhat unkempt lawn and borders, the shed-like conservatory with it's white painted roof and bare bleak decor.
Access to Reception is through what seemingly is a small back door, a tradesman entrance perhaps , but then all is glory with high ceilings, wood panelling, carpets and warmth. So very Ye Olde Worlde. Sadly there was no record of my website automated booking but as the hotel was virtually empty I was given a choice of rooms and chose a balcony double room overloooking that unkempt garden. Worse was the view over a flatroof with a myriad of unsecured trailing aerial wires and electric cables, broken tiles, and woodwork desperate for repalcement or at least a coat of paint.
The rooms decor was in period, busy wallpaper, dark oak and a wall mounted trouser press, yet the TV was flatscreen.
The lounges looked cosy but the shabby furniture and scruffy piles of books and magazines held no appeal.
I dined elswhere, and the breakfast in that conservatory devoid of any ambience was quickly dispensed with.
So much potential, so little spent.

Room Tip: Back room quiet
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank SunbeamSussex
Reviewed 17 November 2012

The potential for a special experience created by this late victorian 'gothic' style house converted to a hotel with a modern annex in the grounds and in the town centre has been squandered by insufficient attention to detail and maintenance. The staff were friendly and courteous when approached but as is often the case nowadays irrespective of the organisation, they had few interpersonal skills and their training is obviously very limited.
I agree with other commentators that the hotel requires a 'makeover'. A canopy from the lodge to the main building would be good and whoever manages it must pay closer attention to the finer points. I do not expect the windows to be dirty, to find discarded old clothing in the grounds, the arm chairs and sofas in the lounge to be grimy and unclean neither do I expect to find the bar staff to be watching sport on a TV when I am in there with my wife particularly when the prices of drinks are so high. The cost of accomodation is not cheap. On the plus side the breakfast provided was excellent and the service was good.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank alanAppledore
Also consider these accommodations in or near Swanage
Grand Hotel Swanage
#10 of 13 in Poole
Hotel du Vin Poole
Hotel du Vin Poole
#2 of 13 in Poole

Been to Purbeck House Hotel & Louisa Lodge? Share your experiences!