nice place to stay for the night, very impressive building but wouldn't recommend the evening meal here. the prawns in the prawn cocktail were tiny and tasteless and the sauce didn't have a good consistency or flavour. the lamb for main was overcooked- it wasn't pink at all and the veg that came with it tasted like they were from a frozen bag. also the sweet potato chips still had their skin on- I normally remove the skin and I didn't enjoy them at all. for desert, we ordered a chocolate orange souffle. the orange was absent and the soufflé was overcooked so it was just like a dence chocolate cake. they also didn't have any prosseco or any of the wine that we originally ordered so got a substitute which I didn't enjoy.
the rooms are fine- clean, what you would expect and have a lovely fireplace in them with beautifully high ceilings and lovely ceiling to floor windows in too. the towels we had did have a couple of stains on them but I think we were unlucky here. we stayed in the house rather than the lodge and didn't have any problems with noise, the staff were lovely and welcoming too. we did have a new waitress at dinner who was OBVIOUSLY new, she knew nothing about the menu and shouted questions across the room to her colleague. the grounds are lovely and the hotel itself is very pretty to look at, although from the professional photos I thought it would have more of a sea view and be situated in the hills but it's very close to the sea front. there are lovely little shops to explore, one called CuriOsity which has tonnes of little knicknacks, and also plenty of places to choose from for dinner so you don't have to eat at the hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the Purbeck House Hotel, "An Oasis of Relaxation and Enjoyment." Purbeck House Hotel is a family-run hotel steeped in over a century of history. Nestled in extensive gardens in the centre of Swanage, close to shopping centre, Pub, Restaurant, this unique family-run hotel combines the atmosphere of a traditional country house with all the amenities of a modern hotel. Steeped in history, the 38 bedrooms are divided between the main house, constructed in 1875, and the newly-built Louisa Lodge (completed in 2003). All of the bedrooms are en suite, Tea/Coffee making facilities, LED HD Flat Screen TV, Iphone Docking Station, Iron and Iron Board, Direct Dial Telephone, Free Broadband WiFi Connection and some have sea or garden views. The hotel has a large car park and is only 300 yards from the sea front and the clean, sandy beaches.This Family howne this Hotel for the last 15 Years ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA and Ebookers so you can book your Purbeck House Hotel & Louisa Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Purbeck House Hotel & Louisa Swanage
- Purbeck House Hotel And Louisa Lodge
- Purbeck Hotel Louisa
- Purbeck House Hotel & Louisa Lodge Swanage, Isle Of Purbeck