“nice for one evening, avoid dining here”

Purbeck House Hotel & Louisa Lodge
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Swanage
Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

nice place to stay for the night, very impressive building but wouldn't recommend the evening meal here. the prawns in the prawn cocktail were tiny and tasteless and the sauce didn't have a good consistency or flavour. the lamb for main was overcooked- it wasn't pink at all and the veg that came with it tasted like they were from a frozen bag. also the sweet potato chips still had their skin on- I normally remove the skin and I didn't enjoy them at all. for desert, we ordered a chocolate orange souffle. the orange was absent and the soufflé was overcooked so it was just like a dence chocolate cake. they also didn't have any prosseco or any of the wine that we originally ordered so got a substitute which I didn't enjoy.
the rooms are fine- clean, what you would expect and have a lovely fireplace in them with beautifully high ceilings and lovely ceiling to floor windows in too. the towels we had did have a couple of stains on them but I think we were unlucky here. we stayed in the house rather than the lodge and didn't have any problems with noise, the staff were lovely and welcoming too. we did have a new waitress at dinner who was OBVIOUSLY new, she knew nothing about the menu and shouted questions across the room to her colleague. the grounds are lovely and the hotel itself is very pretty to look at, although from the professional photos I thought it would have more of a sea view and be situated in the hills but it's very close to the sea front. there are lovely little shops to explore, one called CuriOsity which has tonnes of little knicknacks, and also plenty of places to choose from for dinner so you don't have to eat at the hotel.

Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank Josie H

Reviewed 28 May 2014

The best thing about this hotel was the staff, very friendly and nothing was too much trouble. For £296 for two nights I thought that was too steep for what we got accommodation wise.
The mattress felt tired the room had a wonderful view of Swanage Bay, but felt the room could have done with a mini bar/fridge. Shampoo and conditioner were not replenished and it seemed that where any extra charges could be made they were.
Dined in the restaurant and the staff were just as friendly, but then they would be as staff were changing uniforms all day dependent on where they were designated. Nice setting for a restaurant good food but not much of it and wouldn't eat there every night as quite expensive.
Brilliant parking facilities, nice gardens.
Within walking distance of everything in Swanage and very close to bus station.
Plenty of places to eat and lots of Pubs close by seeping history.

Room Tip: Ours was a superior double so possibly basic would be better value
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tina1141
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We stayed in a family room in the Louisa Lodge. The room was large and functional, had everything we needed, but with a few little touches it could have been alot better and less like a moderate chain hotel room. Sadly the beds were not exactly the most comfortable we have slept in, but overall the room delivered for a short 2 night stay.
The hotel staff were friendly and welcoming. The hotel is set in a large garden with plenty of parking (which is a definite advantage). Very short walk to station, beach & restaurants so we never needed the car.
The breakfast was OK - nice to have it served rather than a buffet - but items were clearly just served up in the kitchen and not cooked to order (unless you order something like an omlette). The breakfast room/conservatory is such a sad room. With a little bit of effort it could be lovely. Either put cloths over the tired old tables or replace them !
Overall happy with our stay and would return if we were in the area (although pricey for 3 star).

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Tarmum
Reviewed 25 May 2014

The hotel staff were very accommodating as I stayed prior to commencing a charity event. The hotel made up a breakfast to take with me as I was leaving early the following morning. Lovely, friendly staff. Would definitely recommend this hotel to everyone!

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank Luker17
Reviewed 18 May 2014

This is historical building is impressive on the outside and on the inside. We have enjoyed drinks at the bar and ordered fish and chips - thoroughly enjoyable. Beautiful gardens and building.
Good value - we have fish and chips = good service.

Room Tip: Take your drink into the drawing room and relax in the sumptuous armchairs
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank mrsmarr904
Reviewed 15 May 2014

We spent 3 nights at this hotel recently, in the Louisa Lodge. I think we got the best of the deal as the Perbeck Hotel part was very tired looking.
Our room was just a modern hotel room but it had a nice balcony and view over the town and out to sea but there were 2 chairs on the balcony but no table.
The main building was lovely on the outside but in need of a lot of TLC inside, the public rooms had beautiful ornate ceilings and fireplaces but there wires everywhere, shabby upholstery & carpets and chipped furniture.
The whole place reminded me of an old peoples home and the clientele rather backed this up.
Breakfast was in a conservatory which was obviously a "function room" bar dancefloor ect.
and was very ordinary in fact I did not bother after the first day.
It was little things that were wrong, they did not replace the toiletres as they were used, the bar service very slow and the barman slovenly with his waistcoat undone, and more interested in the TV than serving us.
We ate one night in the dinning room I have had more fun in a library but the food was very good it was just so quite with only one other couple in.
saying all this the grounds were lovely and there was plenty of parking which is good in town.
I feel lack of money is probably the problem, it would certainly be a shame if this old building were to get any more shabby.

Room Tip: Go in the Louisa Lodge No 37 has a balcony
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

This was my 3 time staying in Swanage but the first time staying at this hotel, last year we stayed at the Grand Hotel but the room was so dull,a bathroom that had just come out if the 80s and the only thing left at the grand is the stairs. So we picked this hotel to see what it's like. Our room (14) was at the top of the hotel which let me and my partner know how unfit we have become! Room was nice had everything we would want if I was going to criticise one thing it wood be the bed, the headboard and bedside tables could fit a king size bed and the bed had a dip, bathroom was nice had everything we wanted. The main from room of the hotel is due to get a facelift but as it's such a big hotel costs are high and this will take time to do, but it has it's history unlike the grand which has all but been lost!the bar is another room that can do with new wallpaper I lived the pic of the Queen on the wall from the late 70s I think this would be a good theme for the bar maybe try to find painting of other kings and queens of the UK? Oh and bin all the furniture in the bar replace with some nice leather chesterfield sofas! Breakfast was good we were happy with everything that was given to us and the staff were very nice and helpful when we checked out I left my house keys in the room and they called me as soon as they found them so I wouldn't get very far! The woman at the front check in knew I would be at the blue pool not that far away!Thanks you guys it's a long way to Bristol to Swanage to pick up your front door keys!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bristolboy147
Also consider these accommodations in or near Swanage
Grand Hotel Swanage
#10 of 13 in Poole
Hotel du Vin Poole
Hotel du Vin Poole
#2 of 13 in Poole

Been to Purbeck House Hotel & Louisa Lodge? Share your experiences!