1,068 results
All reviews sea view the general manager bar menu private beach lovely old hotel night break seen better days short break fabulous views room was clean and comfortable sunday lunch car parking the cliff relaxing break fantastic location enjoyable stay breakfast was excellent
Reviewed 21 July 2014

My wife and I took a two night weekend break in July this year at the Grand. The idea of staying was driven by a discounted meal offer. Unfortunately the meal was not what it was built up to be, just plain and simple, and the hotel was not much different.

The best part of the hotel is its location and view. The hotel is old, originally Victorian I believe, and it shows its age. All of the fittings and decoration look very tired. The beds did not encourage sleep, apart from being uncomfortable, they were noisy. Every turn in the bed the springs groaned and moaned. The bathroom was clean and modest in size, but the shower was almost non existent, very difficult to get wet.

In conclusion the hotel is in dire need of refurbishment and is overpriced.

3  Thank James F
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We stayed here for two nights for a local wedding, but unfortunately cannot recommend it based on our experience. On the bright side, if you are a fan of Agatha Christie, this hotel feels like something out of one of her novels. You could imagine Hercule Poirot or Miss Marple sitting next to you in the Conservatory. It very much has the "Victorian seaside hotel that was once grand but is not any longer" vibe. The hotel has a very convenient location right on the bluff looking out onto the water and has some magnificent views, but as quality of the property itself was severely lacking, particularly considering the prices that they charge for rooms. You are definitely paying for the view.

We had a family room (unfortunately none of the family rooms face the water, so we had a view of the parking lot and the ever-present pigeons), which was very tired. It contained bunk beds and a queen size bed. The carpet was kind of grubby (you could see where it was gray where all of the previous guests tended to walk), and the bathroom had not been re-decorated since the 1960's. I actually laughed when I first saw the bathroom because it was so bad it was funny. It was large-ish, but just very, very dated and sparse.

I would not recommend afternoon tea there - it costs about 17 pounds for two people, but the quality of the food was very poor. I would have rather gone to the Co-op in Swanage and bought sandwiches and a snack. It would have been cheaper and tasted better. The only upside is that we had tea in the Conservatory which has a beautiful view.

We ate dinner and breakfast every morning in the restaurant at the hotel. Dinner was not great - my husband's risotto was inedible. Breakfast was better - you do have a choice of hot entrees, and my recommendation is that you order them as soon as you sit down, so that they will arrive within a reasonable period of time. Otherwise, once they get busy, you may be stuck waiting. The wait staff was very friendly and accomodating, so it wasn't all bad.

Overall, would I recommend this to anyone? No. Unfortunately I don't think this hotel is worth the rates charged, and I do feel they really need to invest more in the property. Also, I should note that wifi was basically non-existent. They gave us the password, but we were not able to access it from our room (maybe they need a new router?). I overheard one of the staff members telling another guest that if they went to the far corner of the lobby and sat next to the piano they might be able to get signal . . .

Date of stay: May 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
4  Thank LuxuryBonVivant
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Has the potential to be a good hotel - nice building/good location etc. BUT...rooms really hot, shower hot then cold then hot then cold (you get the idea), pigeons everywhere, wrong breakfast brought out both mornings we stayed, room v small, curtains see-through so awake at the crack of dawn, no lunch available on one day as they were catering for a wedding (only wanted a sandwich), parking difficult, wifi only in the main lounge...

Expect a lot more for £180 a night! Nest time I'm in Swanage, I'll try somewhere else...

2  Thank BLH4275
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

The pool was fabulous I had it to myself every morning! Beautiful location, lovely gardens and easily accesible steps down to beach. Quite pricey but worth it. On the downside rooms very warm even with windows open all night .

1  Thank Asantasi
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Very friendly staff, very clean room, comfortable bed, beautiful view of the sea, lovely garden to sit out in. Tasty, freshly cooked breakfast. So what are the buts? The shower was out of the ark (needed considerable time and patience to obtain a decent flow of water at a tolerable temperature) and the general décor is a bit run down. Overall it was a bit expensive for what you get, but we would go back again if we were in the area. Not quite "very good" but better than "average".

Room tip: Sea view is worth the extra money.
1  Thank Daz4710