“Peaceful & very relaxing”

Grand Hotel Swanage
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Swanage
Reviewed 10 January 2010

Have just returned from having a (special offer) Winter break at this hotel ... and I honestly cannot fault anything over the course of our stay. At the time of booking, we were the only guests in the hotel and were therefore offered the choice of any of the rooms. We chose a double room with a sea view and balcony (room 103) - absolutely stunning (ok, agreed, the ensuite bathroom was 'dated' but everything functioned perfectly).
The booking in procedure was the quickest I have ever experienced at any hotel, the staff were all wonderful and very pleasant at all times (baring in mind that our stay coincided with the harsh weather conditions of January 2010). Nothing seemed to be too much trouble and my partner and myself were made to feel totally relaxed at all times during our stay.
As everyone has previously said, the views from the various rooms (bedrooms, conservatory, restaurant etc) are absolutely stunning, to watch the (winter) sun come up and go down was just pure bliss and left you feeling at peace with the world.
The hotel was warm and cozy (our room was very warm and cozy - spot on) and the food is superb at breakfast and dinner. Bar snacks are available and my partner enjoyed some lovely Dorset baked ham and mustard sandwiches one mid afternoon in the conservatory, overlooking the bay.
Only been back home for half a day as I write this, but missing the hotel greatly already. Many thanks to all at The Grand - you were simply brilliant.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Grand Hotel Swanage

Reviewed 27 August 2009

My wife’s 30th.. Fancy website and reassuringly expensive, so expected what I saw online. didn’t get it, walked the whole hotel trying to convince ourselves to stay. The smell of hospital disinfectant everywhere, not a single item of furniture matching in the room, TV smaller than my mobile phone, bathroom smelt of mould, broken windows in the gym, very strange coloured water in the pool. When I called down to reception and said, “erm we have had a good look around and it’s not quite what we had in mind” rather than an "oh how can we fix this" a very casual "well the deposit is non refundable". We took the hit and ran, All the way to a hotel in a large chain, not quite the small intimate place I was looking for but neither was the RAND. G missing from the front sign, crashed abandoned car in the car park. Please please do not go to this hotel.. The view was nice, but print it off the website and put it on your wall, and go somewhere else...

2  Thank trevorKent
Reviewed 17 August 2009

Horrible place, hugely overpriced. Very dishonest manager. I booked over the phone and the rates quoted were per person not per room. The room that we got was disgusting, with pealing wall paper, dirty, dark and with plastic dirty walls in the bathroom imitating marble.
Very average food and service. A real rip off.
The location is stunning, shame that this hotel is a disgrace in such a beautiful part of England.
Could any one tell me how to report this hotel to the Tourism Authorities please? I feel cheated.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 August 2009

Our double bedroom with sea view - which was anything but cheap - was extremely pokey and the decor was a disgrace. The bath was badly stained and everything was shabby. This hotel, which is beautifully located with superb views of the bay, needs serious money spent on it. When we complained about our room, the receptionist thanked us for our comments and said she'd pass them on to the owner - it was obvious that she'd heard it all before and was somewhat resigned to guests being unhappy about the accommodation. This hotel is wildly over-priced. We loved Swanage itself, but will try one of the B&Bs next year. We certainly won't be returning to The Grand.

2  Thank Kent-UK2
Reviewed 9 August 2009

Stayed for 2 nights the 6/7/9 and 7/7/9 at the Grand Hotel. We had 2 rooms, one single and one twin.

PROS- The twin room was very spacious and had a lot of storage space. The view was also excellent, even though it costed £30 supplement each night. The food was excellent, although very limited as the menu was the same every day and only one special starter, desert and 2 mains were offered.

The gardens and private? beach were gorgeous, and proximity to the bustling town was excellent.

CONS- The hotel decor was very dated although at one point it must have been very grand. The single room was very compact, and there were only 2 drawers under a bedside table. The advertised wifi was only available on the ground floor, although i was able to access the wifi by laying on my bathroom floor!

The bed was extremely uncomfortable, and the mattress was quite lumpy. It was also very difficult to get a good nights sleep, mainly due to the pidgeons that had a nest on the windowsill... coo coo all through the night! . At one point a pidgeon even dared to sit inside the room. I have to admit that bird foeces on the windowsill did detract from the view.

The cleanliness of the bar was quite poor... when sat at the dinner table i looked into my beer glass and saw 4 dead flies... granted, they werent huge flies, but still... it put me off my meal.

The car parking was very cramped and some of the other guests were extremely unhelpful and parked across two spaces. There was also a very worn out car in the car park that had lost a tyre... i wonder how long it had been there...

The shower in the single room was broken, but thankfully, on reporting it to rececption in the morning, it was fixed in the afternoon. On the second day, the shower in the twin room ran hot and cold, and the water was scalding hot.

The reception was poor. One night at returning after 10pm, the front door was open but there was nobody around. I had to go behind the desk to retrieve the key. On checking out, we had to wait no less than 10 minutes to find someone capable of manning the reception, despite ringing the bell 6 times and asking various members of staff for assistance.

On the second last day, the lift broke down on the ground floor. The doors were jammed and we rang the bell. We heard somebody say to the reception staff that the lift was stuck, the doors opened automatically and nobody came to see if we were ok.

All in all, a VERY expensive two night stay. If it hadnt been for the wonderful weather i think we may have returned home.

The hotel is also about as lively as a funeral home, although i shouldnt hold this against it because some people prefer a quieter stay.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank crazybeachboy
Reviewed 5 August 2009

Having read all the bad reveiws on The Grand Hotel I decided to cancell . We were meant to stay for the August Bank holiday three nights half board for £630.00 not cheap by all means. Only to find that the deposit of £252.00 was non refundable. No where on their web site did they disclose this, the only option is to cancell or to take a trip there within six months. I am so dissapointed surely those who regulate who has what rating for the Hotels in Swanage should be inspecting this one immediately. I feel I would like to warn others before booking what they let them selves in for.

1  Thank WaterGypsyUxbridge
Reviewed 4 August 2009

Luna London's review: "Grandly overpriced" is bang on the money. We stayed in a room with, agreed, a wonderful majestic view of Swanage Bay, but that really was the sole good point of this hotel, charging £170 a night for a double bed and breakfast - daylight robbery.

The website looks amazing, but the reality will disappoint. The bathrooms are in a dire state, it smells old and fusty and the hotel decor looks as if it had a refurb in 1988. Breakfast is mediocre and the staff are eccentric. Parking is problematic. The location is far from central.

There's a great restaurant down the road called Ocean Bay, and Swanage is well worth the stay - there is a 4 star nice looking B&B just down from the Grand, that or as Luna London also states, Corfe Castle village which is beautiful, or the excellent Bankes Arms pub or the lovely Manor House has accommodation in nearby Studland.

This building was probably once grand, it needs a new owner and a few million spending on it and maybe then they'd be able to charge their £170 a night justifiably. As it is, the website may look perfect but trust me, give it a wide berth.

2  Thank bramall
Also consider these accommodations in or near Swanage
Purbeck House Hotel & Louisa Lodge
#7 of 13 in Poole
Sandbanks Hotel
Sandbanks Hotel
#10 of 13 in Poole

Been to Grand Hotel Swanage? Share your experiences!