“Not great.”

Ranked #75 of 87 Restaurants in Swanage
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Went early Sunday afternoon for carvery to find it was off. No carvery Sunday lunch on a Sunday afternoon? Wait for alternative was very long. Wouldn't have minded but they weren't busy. Plenty of others asking how long their food would be. Only saving grace was that when it finally arrived it was ok. Wouldn't bother again.

Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

We'd had a few drinks here on previous afternoons and thought the food looked nice so we came for a family meal tonight - what a mistake! I genuinely thought I may see Gordon Ramsey appear any moment, filming an episode of Kitchen Nightmares! The 'owner' was a bit tapped and the staff never stopped slagging him off behind his back; "Best thing to do when you see him is go the other way", "I'm staying out of his way" etc. The service was chaotic at best and the food was poor. I had the liver, which I wouldn't have done had I read the other reviews on here, as it appears the 'specials' have not improved in 12 months!! The liver was as tough as my flip flop, there was no bacon and the onion gravy (made with raw red onion) just turned the dry mash grey! I complained and had the price taken off the bill - but this didn't exactly fill my stomach up.
We then overheard the owner saying he'd send the chef home and one off the waitresses advise that he'd already gone! Cue Gordon.....
The other meals were mediocre and, although the prices are reasonable it spoils a family night out when the atmosphere and service is so shoddy. Drinks in the beer garden is one thing (still £4 a pint though) but don't recommend eating here.

1  Thank WednesdayLou
Reviewed 10 August 2014

we went for a meal on Saturday 9th the Cajun chicken was very nice aswel as the liver and bacon and chicken goujons, shame about the tomato and basil pasta which was just pasta and tinned toms. But very hot blond bird serving us

Reviewed 6 August 2014

We have had drinks here before and liked the look of the pubs little resteraunt and so decided to bring some friends for lunch. We were seated at a table and started to make our menu choices which were 1 scampi and 2 Cajun chicken from the menu and 1 liver from the specials board. It was then we noticed how dirty the table was. The imitation farmhouse/rustic boarded table was caked in crumbs in its grooves and gaps, It also had sugar wrappings from the previous occupants which had not been cleared away which made it obvious it hadn't even been wiped down before we had it and it certainly hadn't been cleaned properly for some time. Our food arrived and while our menu choices were pretty good the liver was not edible due to the rancid gravy. We managed to grab someone's attention, they asked if we would prefer something else and so we opted for another Cajun chicken which arrived after everyone else had finished but at least it was freshly cooked. Although I did enjoy my chicken which I thought was also reasonably priced for what it was, I would not eat here again as the service overall wasn't great and the filthy tables.

1  Thank Claire1967
Reviewed 4 August 2014

well....
very very dissapointed my nan went for the beer battered fish and the batter wasn't cooked properly. we arrived at 6.30pm and we left at 8.35pm being served at 8pm. The staff kept making excuses but this was very dissapointing. not coming here again. Finally when we went to pay the bill we had items on there which wasn't even ours.

1  Thank sw C