“OK, if you've little in the way of expectations”

Harlees' The Parade Fish Restaurant
Ranked #11 of 91 Restaurants in Swanage
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Visited on a recent Saturday and sat in the restaurant area. Not particularly busy and the food came pretty quickly. Chips OK but then again, why wouldn't they be. But the fish was cooked in very poor quality batter. Now here's what I don't get about fish and chip shops: if you're only producing one basic product, why not try to make it as good as it can be? Service was of the lazy, inept and charmless kind that I'm afraid you get used to in towns like this, and the event ended with a bizarre and slightly combative conversation with the waitress over a fifty-pound note that clearly indicated that till operation wasn't her strong suit. Am always happy to tip, but after that, was disinclined to on this occasion. The entire experience was poor, and there are much better alternatives in the vicinity.

1  Thank Tom_Cobbley

Reviewed 30 September 2013

The Parade wasn't our first choice for lunch but as we had been waiting for 40 minutes in another place with no sign of food, we popped in on the 'off chance'.
We asked the waitress how long it would take for our order to be served and she went away to check. She returned saying in about 5 minutes. True to her word our order was delivered within that time and was really tasty. We eat out regularly in good restaurants so weren't expecting much but were really surprised. There are no refinements in the downstairs eating section and the table was sticky but top marks for the quality of the food and the speed of delivery. Friendly staff too. Would certainly return.

Reviewed 24 September 2013

This was once a great place, with fresh fish grilled to perfection. We had poor service and badly cooked food. Eventually we established that bass was available and all three of us ordered it, sepcifying it should be grilled - this was confirmed. It arrived, insipid and most likely microwaved, certainly not grilled. My one was raw in places. We had finished and we complained about the raw fish - the manageress was rude and offhand, but charged us only for two.

2  Thank 954Richard
Reviewed 23 September 2013

We visited Swanage recently and decided to grab fish and chips for lunch from The Parade...I really wish we had gone next door now!
Rather than take away, we choose to sit in the restaurant. We were sat upstairs, so I cannot speak for the service downstairs, however upstairs was awful. After being seated we waited about 15-20 to be served. Disappointing when there are only a handful of tables upstairs, only 4 of which had customers and 2 staff waiting on them. The girl who finally sauntered over looking like she had been chewing a wasp and didn't even great us with a 'hello', just abruptly asked "what do you want?"
She took our order and 30 minutes later she returned with our food, no apology. We simply ordered fish and chips, nothing taxing or fussy I would have thought for a chippy! The restaurant had an offer of bottomless chips, meaning free top ups. This was never offered though. Nor were we asked if we would like more drinks or how our meals were. At the end of the meal, it took another 5 minutes to get the attention of the waitress who was idlely looking out of the window. She just mouthed to come to the counter rather than heading back over to the table to serve us. By this point we had had enough and just asked for the bill.
We were made to feel like an inconvenience. Having worked in a restaurant as a teenager, I fully understand the importance of good service., this place had none. The food was ok but I would never bother going back unless for a take away.

1  Thank L4R4
Reviewed 21 September 2013

Ordered a takeaway bitterly regretted it! Guy doing the cooking was doing it one handed and was more interested in his mobile phone. Girl was sweeping stairs with a dustpan and brush one minute and serving food next with long blonde hair flowing freely next, would like to hope hands were washed in between but by the other standard of hygiene demonstrated I'm not hopeful. Old chips were left squashed in the kitchen area floor
When food did eventually get served my miss long blonde locks she put other customers orders with my order so boxes had to be opened to remove this. Finally chips were given in a bag that they had tried to keep warm- this action did not work!
When I complained I was given a disdainful look and asked did I want them reheated. When I said I wanted fresh they told me there were no more left . When I then said I waned my money back I was given a look that could have killed- that's if the food does not do it first!
Management of this restaurant need to do a mass clean up of all areas of this business, either that or Food hygiene officer will be next visitor

2  Thank Bitface