“the freshest of fish”

Dining options: Reservations
Eastleigh, United Kingdom
“the freshest of fish”
Reviewed 11 March 2014

We had a lovely lunch on Friday. The food is so fresh and a large menu choice ranging from pizzas and pasta to fresh fish and vegetables and tasty meat dishes. Will definitely be back again and again.

• Visited March 2014

Winchester, United Kingdom
“Reasonable”
Reviewed 10 October 2013

I've been visiting Swanage for many years and have always hankered after a visit to the Cafe Tratt. We went as a group of four and the food was ok but not great - service was so so. A shame. It could offer so much more.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Masons4
Watford, United Kingdom
“Lunch”
Reviewed 21 July 2013

My wife and I came here for a lunch on a recent visit to Swanage. When we arrived we were seated promptly at the front of the restaurant, which was all open as it was a hot day. I had a jacket potato with cheese and beans, which was tasty, but a bit overpriced. My wife had a tuna sandwich and she enjoyed that. We shared a large bottle of water. All in it was around £15 for lunch which was not too bad really.

• Visited July 2013
Kent
“Not bad but service blew hot and cold”
Reviewed 27 May 2013

We visited the daytime cafe (Fortes?) side of this operation for lunch last week on the last day of our holiday to the area and have to say that we found this, and Swanage, to be slightly odd. With two young kids we had earlier stopped at this cafe's namesake (no idea if it's related) by the beach for a drink and had a similarly cool reception and this seems like a town where everybody seems to speak in hushed voices and one could be mistaken for thinking that people with small pet dogs are more welcome in cafes and restaurants than people with young kids. The guy that was looking after front of house may have been a bit harassed but did seem a little dismayed when we said our youngest (10 months) would need a high chair and then seemed to check himself and put his smile back on before politely asking if we'd mind him (quite reasonably of course) removing our push-chair to the unused restaurant area.

Once our order was taken all seemed warmer on the service front. The food was okay, not amazing by any standard, I prefer my lasagne to be more balanced as it was very top heavy with ragu so was rather tart and didn't have massive flavour beyond the tomatoes but did taste quite fresh. I just asked my wife how she rated her penne arrabiatta and she said it was nice but not above average. The kid's pizza was again quite nice.

When I finally paid the bill the second waiter who looked after us did start enquiring as to our stay and was very helpful with some local advice on local attractions. The service was attentive and polite, quite understated but I actually prefer this to the over-the-top service we've had in some Italian restaurants and at least the place seemed quite straightforward and honest.

Not sure we'd visit Swanage again but if we did we'd probably check this place again if only for an early lunch.

• Visited May 2013
Andover, United Kingdom
“Not too impressed.”
Reviewed 27 May 2013 via mobile

Visiting this restaurant during the bank holiday weekend we were greeted by a waiter who acted like it was a hassle every time a customer came in.
The food was overpriced for a glorified cafe, although I did enjoy what I ate.
A big problem I feel was the smoking customers stood/sat right next to the open doors, allowing the wafts of smoke to blow freely inside. Just like being in Paris, but the food and the atmosphere was worse!

• Visited May 2013