“Good Food, Good Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Village Inn

Village Inn
Ranked #45 of 82 Restaurants in Swanage
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Ulwell Cottage Caravan Park.
The Midlands
“Good Food, Good Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

Been here a number of time, mostly with family and always had a good, if not excellent, meal.

The specials are top quality, the prices are reasonable and the menu is varied even if it doesn't change much or often. The fish pie is amazing.

The service is also good from the bar staff to the waitresses. Yes you don't get table service unless you have booked a table but that is the deal in most pubs.

I've also been around Christmas as part of a group and they catered for 30 odd of us, 3 courses, with no problem at all.

Would recommend.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank O M

Solihull, United Kingdom
“Terrible!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

Having visited this camp site for many years with no issues at all, we decided to try out the Village Inn for an evening meal. There were 8 of us in total, all paying separately, no waitress service, you have to order your meal at the bar.
The menu stated that there are 'light bites' sometimes served of a evening, but please ask at the bar." When we did ask, all we got was a barked reply 'afternoon only!', by a large gentleman who I believe is the landlord, possibly called Phil?
We also asked that all meals could be brought out together, we were told "NO - as you paid seperatley" - although one after the other!
I also asked for my eggs not be runny... and again were told 'Phhhft well we can try!'. He was utterly rude and clearly has no people skills whatsoever!
When my steak arrived, it was practically black, dry through and totally uneditable! There was a hair in my chips and everyone complained that their pea's were completely over cooked and hard.
Quite honestly no one was happy with the quality of their food or the service we were shown.
There are loads of lovely little pubs in Swanage only a short walk away, who display fabulous food and friendly atmosphere - my advise is to go to one of these. Don't expect any type of welcome or respect in the Village Inn! Avoid.

• Visited May 2014
3 Thank bex_j90
“Great Fish Pie!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014

One of the nicest fish pies I've had in a Pub. Lots of fish in a tasty white sauce, topped by cheesy mash, baked and served in a single-serving dish. There was plenty of it too. The accompanying "seasonal" vegetables were freshly cooked and thankfully not over done. I was too full for one of their home-made puds but they did look nice!
We've eaten here a few times over recent years, during our annual post-Christmas visit to rellies. It's so nice to get home-cooked food that you know has been sourced locally where possible. Service is always good and we feel you get good value for money.

• Visited December 2013
“Lovely”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2013 via mobile

As regular visitors here and after reading another review I felt the need to straighten thing out a little.the food here is good and varied the menu changes although I would estimate only once a year.there is a specials board also with varied dishes on.the food here isn't cheap but they use local farms for alot of there meat etc so they don't buy cheap, I know this because I asked one of the staff after seeing an advert in a local paper. On some of my visits the pub Has been totally packed out not a spare seat anywhere and still all the staff seem to manage and our dinner was lovely although there was a bit of a wait. The food is on the simple side perhaps (good home cooking springs to mind) steaks, chicken, fish, pies, currys etc, there is plenty to choose from and it's all done to what I feel is a good standard I know you can't please everyone but I've never been disappointed so give it a try

• Visited August 2013
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Nothing special”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

We were staying on the site so went for a meal at the Village Inn. It wasn't the first time we've been - stayed here for over 15 years. The pub is clean and tidy but the food is on the disappointing side. The menu hasn't varied in 15 years dsepite what is said. It is of a reasonable pub standard but nothing special and expensive for what it is - compared to Half Way Inn where the food is of a higher quality, better selection, all freshly produced and not as expensive. You wuill get an adequate meal here but don't expect anything other than fodder.

• Visited July 2013