“First dives in the UK - can't wait to go back”
Review of Swanage Diving - CLOSED

Swanage Diving
More attraction details
Owner description: Swanage Diving offers PADI dive courses and guided dives along the coast of Dorset. Courses range from Discover Scuba (Try Dives) to the PADI Divemaster (Pro). Swanage is an ideal place to learn or continue your diving education with a wide range of dive sites including wrecks, reefs, drifts and shore dives to choose from. It also has the added bonus of having the spectacular scenery of the Jurassic Coast on its doorstep plus a vibrant night life during the summer season, a Blue Flag golden sand beach, plenty of other outdoor activities and the chance of rest and relaxation at your disposal.
Hertford, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“First dives in the UK - can't wait to go back”
Reviewed 27 July 2013

Having recently taken the first steps on the PADI Open Water ladder, I was keen to take any opportunity to dive again. I'd qualified in Jamaica and did a follow up dive in Tenerife, so the prospect of getting into the cold water in the UK was a bit daunting.
I exchanged a couple of emails with Dan before booking. He was very assuring and answered my questions quickly and also made some good suggestions as to what to expect.
My 15yr old daughter joined us for our first dive under Swanage pier. Dan was great, he showed us the layout of the pier and talked us through what to expect. He then made sure we knew our stuff and rehearsed a few hand signals. By the time we geared up and entered the water, we were both confident and very comfortable with Dan.
The equipment we rented was top notch - unlike the worn-to-death gear we got in Tenerife!
The pier dive was great, surprising what could be seen - Sea Bass, Bream, Pollack, Spider Crabs, Sand Eels and the occasional Tern diving into the water (for the sand eels).
After a brief rest and recharge, Dan and I took a charter boat to Old Harry for a drift dive. Dan briefed me fully and it was so great having his vast experience on-tap. He also has a very special manner when explaining things - everything is clear, concise and builds your confidence. This was my fifth dive ever and the most complex. Yet everything went smoothly and Dan made sure I knew what to do.
The dive itself was so different to anything I'd ever done before but SO MUCH FUN. We were joined by a couple of smooth hound sharks (about 4 feet long) during the dive, they didn't seem to mind the current (nor Dan poking one of them!).
All in all it was a great day and I can't recommend Dan more highly. For novice divers, he's the business - and such a nice guy too!

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Phil-scuba

London
“Patient & knowledgeable instructor = a thoroughly enjoyable experience.”
Reviewed 18 June 2013

Me and my girlfriend have recently become certified PADI Open Water Divers. This in turn is thanks to Dan and his patience/teaching abilities.
Dan is through and calm in his teachings of required skills. His vast experience and reassuring nature really help you to get to grips with both the physical and theory elements of the course. Everything was thoroughly explained with a clear interest and passion for the skills being demonstrated.

Swanage is the perfect setting for you to put the skills/theory taught and practiced in pool sessions in to actual training, (Pier and all surrounding boat wreckage's).

Thanks Dan for helping us get started on our diving adventure and making the course a really enjoyable experience.

Visited June 2013
London, United Kingdom
“An excellent experience diving in beautiful Swanage”
Reviewed 4 September 2012

I have recently spent a week down in Swanage to complete my four day PADI open water scuba diving course. There were 3 others on the course and it was nice to meet new people and share the experience with them. My instructor Dan was really cool and made me feel confident to complete the skills we had learnt, especially knowing he has completed more than 2,000 dives. Dan also taught us the theory behind Scuba diving and how to keep safe whilst diving.
I was completely shocked to see so many fish under Swanage Pier it was beautiful. After the dives it was nice to appreciate the beach and the views of Swanage. This course gave me some time to go off and explore more of Dorset.
The only downside to this course is the fact that it is weather dependant, I completed 3 days of the course and had to return home but luckily enough Dan was flexible to fit in my 4th day another time.
On my 4th day I had the opportunity to do a boat dive. We did a drift dive by Old Harry rocks, which was AMAZING, I was literally flying through the water!
I 100% recommend this course to anyone who wants to have a bit of fun or try something new. I definitely want to move onto the advanced course…

Visited September 2012
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good instruction, lots of fun”
Reviewed 27 August 2012

I spent four days doing a PADI open water course with Dan in Swanage. Dan was a great instructor, very patient and helpful, and clearly very experienced. He made it a lot of fun to learn to scuba dive.

Swanage as a location has variable weather and visibility underwater, but does have some nice dive sites. The sea life under Swanage Pier is lovely, and I was almost in danger of getting too distracted by it and missing the instruction! The last open water dive I did was to a small fishing boat wreck called the "Fleur de Lys" - it was great experience doing a boat dive.

Visited August 2012