“Excellent B&B”
Review of Clare House

Clare House
Ranked #4 of 50 Swanage B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Alan and Diana made us most welcome. The house has an interesting history.
We took advice about where to eat which turned out well. The rooms was comfortable and the breakfast first class.
We just stayed the one night but managed a train to Corfe with a walk back via Old Harry, a walk from Langton Maltravers via Durlston to Swanage and a walk from Worth Maltravers to Chapmans Pool, St Alhelms Head and Winsplit.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Clare_House, Owner at Clare House, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to give CH a lovely review. Phew! didn't you do a lot while you were here. I do hope we will see you both again sometime.

There are newer reviews for Clare House

Reviewed 14 January 2014

My husband and I stayed in Swanage for one night and had the pleasure of staying at this lovely B&B.
We had a gorgeous room in a stunning location. The Owners we brilliant. Very warm, helpful and welcoming. They were able to let us know which places were good to eat and also gave us a lot of information about coming back with my baby. (I was pregnant at the time!)
Dianne showed my husband the family room and seemed very excited for us to return with our baby which we will absolutely do.
Overall - it was a very enjoyable stay. The room was spacious, clean and nicely stocked/decorated.
I must say that the parking situation isn't so great but I guess that really can't be helped.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nicola R

Hi Nicola, thank you for a lovely review and we certainly hope you do come back with the little one.

Reviewed 29 October 2013

Recently booked at short notice a weekend in Swanage, a town I've not visited before, so was shooting in the dark accommodation wise. Definitely hit the target with Clare House. Beautiful building, inside and out, and fantastic welcome from Alan & Dianne, taking the trouble to learn our names etc and advise where possible. Our room - no. 4 I believe - had great views, very comfortable. Free parking higher up the street, so no big deal, Breakfast was quite superb - fab quality and great choice. Got back home to find an email from Dianne telling me I'd left some CDs in the room and they were already in the post - excellent! Only issue re: Swanage is relative lack of restaurants, so take advice from Alan when booking and book restaurant in advance,

SteveB

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank SteveB_Andorra
Clare_House, Owner at Clare House, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2013

Hi Steve thank you for your kind words, Alan and I much appreciate your review. I hope you received the CD's and we hope you will come and visit us again at Clare House the next time you are back in the UK.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

This is the second time my husband & i have stopped at Clare House with Dianne, unfortunately we yet have to meet Alan. We go with friends & take over the guest house, for the blues festive in october. The Location is perfect for us, right in the middle of town, as most of us are 70 plus!! You always get the most wonderful welcome from Dianne on arrival. Every room is cosy & the place is immaculate though out. The selection at breakfast is second to none.you wont find better value any where, we definitely will be back.

Room Tip: Every room is amazing, going to try room one next visit, as my knees are not what they use to be!!
1  Thank Jenny T

Hi Jenny thank you for taking the time to write a lovely review You and your friends were, as always a delight to have stay with us at Clare House, and I look forward to seeing you all again next year at Blues in October 2014.

Reviewed 13 October 2013

This was my first visit to Swanage and was made to feel very welcome by Dianne and Alan.
First class hospitality, immaculate clean fresh rooms and a wonderful hearty breakfast with a huge selection from fruit to home cooked breakfasts to a wide variety of teas, made this stay even more enjoyable. Good quality furnishings throughout. I loved the breakfast room and would compare it to a high class dining experience.
Nothing is too much trouble for Dianne and would go out of her way to make you comfortable. I only stayed for two nights and by the end of my stay I really felt I did not want to leave. Great location. I will definitely be back for a longer stay.

Paula

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Paula C
Clare_House, Owner at Clare House, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2013

Hi Paula, thank you for the lovely review, and thank you for choosing Clare House, for your first holiday as a woman travelling alone. We are glad we made you feel at home, and we look forward to seeing you and your husband sometime next year.

Reviewed 9 October 2013

Stayed at Clare House with friends for the Swanage Blues Festival and our stay was absolutely fantastic. Location faultless, rooms spotless (thank you Gorgeous Karen), bed dreamily comfortable (guess a lot of money was invested on top of the range mattresses) and the sheets were crisp, a good weight, and smelt lovely. As for The Breakfasts....... All I can say is that previous guests did not lie. The toast (I now know what to buy), creamy scrambled eggs, perfectly cooked bacon (I love the way Dianne slightly crisps the edges and hurrah - sweet, not rock hard and sour, tomatoes!!! Husband thought equally highly of mushrooms. It was the bacon that was the give-away. Cheap bacon oozes that horrible white scummy liquid. Dianne's didn't!!!!

Dianne really goes the extra mile. She was full of good local information tips, smiled non stop and even looked after utterly stupid customers such as me. I had stupidly left behind a bottle of my favourite (and expensive) perfume. She contacted me to say that she will be forwarding it to me within the next day or two. I can imagine that some landladies may have shrugged their shoulders and not contacted the customer. Not Dianne.

Room Tip: Not sure of room number. Ours was on 1st floor to the far left of 3 rooms up a little 4-5 step stai...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you Maureen for the fabulous review, I am so glad you enjoyed your first Blues Festival in Swanage, I look forward to seeing you and Roger next year for Blues.

Reviewed 7 October 2013

Diane is a fabulous host and greeted us with a very warm welcome. The rooms are comfortable and clean and there's everything you need to enjoy your stay. The breakfasts are truely out of this world. It is really convenient for everything in the centre of town. We have stayed here a couple of times now and we'll defintiely be back again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Hi Jo, thank you for the lovely review and thank you for introducing your friends to Clare House. The Blues Festival was great and you were so lucky with the weather. Look forward to seeing you all next year.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Swanage
Purbeck House Hotel & Louisa Lodge
Mortons House Hotel
#1 of 2 in Corfe Castle
Arbour House Bed & Breakfast
A Great Escape Guest House

Been to Clare House? Share your experiences!