“Phenomenal setting for a phenomenal wedding”

Review of Chaucer Barn

Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
colemvaug...
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Phenomenal setting for a phenomenal wedding”
Reviewed 25 February 2013 for a stay in August 2012
person found this review helpful

Chaucer Barn: I was online looking for whatever the laws were regarding US/UK weddings, and civil ceremonies. I’m American, and was in the process of getting permanent residency, so wanted to make sure I’d done everything necessary before registering for the wedding. While online, I came across Chaucer Barn, literally on the only day I had ever looked for a ‘wedding venue’. I sent D the link simply saying, ‘What a dream location.’ By the end of the week, he’d visited James & Laura, took pictures to show me, and put the deposit down. I think I visited about two weeks after that, and fell even more in love. Who did they get to decorate that place? I want to marry them next! (It’s okay, D does, too. He gets my love of all things décor!)

When I was doing a 'price comparison' between hiring Chaucer Barn, as well as the catering & supplies I would need v. a one day wedding venue, Chaucer Barn won hands down. Add in the fact that you're staying there, with a large number of people, and it almost seems inexpensive in comparison.

We wanted a place that would bring the people we loved together in a relaxed setting. Done. What we hadn’t bargained for was how warm and helpful Laura was, and how she made everything seem possible. In fact, everyone at Chaucer Barn are ‘Yes’ people, and this is a trait I love- proactive and ready to make whatever you want happen. This is what you need, friends, in most every walk of wedding planning life.

We had the ceremony outside, in front of the arbor. It was important to me to be outside if I could, even though the law is really that you are ‘officially’ married under a roof. So, if you’re planning an outdoor ceremony, plan on leaving your guests for the official signing with the registrar.

James & Laura were extremely clear about all of the rules before-hand, and everything, and I mean everything, is clearly outlined in their contract. This is a large house surrounded by fantastic grounds, and it is just about 'whatever you want', but within very reasonable terms. They bent over backwards to make sure that everything went smoothly and they communicated regularly in the run up to the wedding. 'Rules' I can remember: no paper confetti (we ordered dried rose petals). Keep the band indoors, and in a particular room (this is where there is space/electricity/ possibly sound proofing from the rest of the house). Although the house is secluded, there are 'neighbours' within 1/2 a mile, so it is only polite to be sensitive to them regarding noise.

We had 55 guests, and wanted to keep the festivities in the house, instead of hiring a marquee. If you choose to use the Pink room for dinner, you will need to pay extra to lay a temporary carpet down, to ensure their beautiful wooden floor is taken care of...they did this for us and it was brilliant. We had the reception in the Pink Living Room. Staff moved the furniture out the day before, and the tables, etc were delivered by the catering supply company. The candelabras at Chaucer Barn are so beautiful, and you can use everything in the house (just remember to bring your own candles, which Laura helpfully reminded us to do before hand). As I stated earlier, everything was clearly written in the contract, and if ever there was a question, there was someone on the other end of an email or the telephone within 24 hours.

We stayed (with 16 guests) at Chaucer Barn for three nights/four days. I ordered groceries from a grocery store and they delivered before we even arrived. Laura made sure that food & drink was safely stored for us, and easy to collect on arrival. The bedrooms were immaculate, comfortable, and so tastefully decorated. Friends from all over the world kept stating how 'this was the best wedding ever- you think one thing is amazing, and then turn a corner to see something else even more amazing'. The house is big enough to accommodate small groups all over the grounds and in the house having a drink or a quiet chat, as well as a full on party in the dining room.

I cannot recommend it enough....!

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Unique, beautiful location with outstanding support from staff
Liked least: That I had to leave when our stay was over.
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
Large groups
Gill S
Hitchin
“A fantastic barn in a beautiful setting, perfect for our dream wedding.”
Reviewed 3 February 2013 for a stay in May 2012

The barn provided the perfect venue for our wedding. It had the wow factor for our guests and great accommodation for the family to stay together.

All of the staff were helpful and ready to assist.

Great weather helped but we will be back for an anniversary soon!!

Absolutely no hesitation in recommending this beautiful venue.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Style, luxury with a beautiful garden.
Liked least: Nothing, although a dressing table and window covering in the bathroom would be nice!
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children Large groups
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Rozie H
Norwich
“Beautiful place, terrible customer service”
Reviewed 11 November 2012 for a stay in August 2012
people found this review helpful

We stayed at the barn for our wedding. We had looked around for a few months before seeing the barn and myself and my wife to be fell completely in love with the place.

We met a member of the team and went through what we intended to do for our wedding. Everything seemed great we were told that there were just two rules: no buffet food inside the barn and no music/bands outside. This all seemed fair and we had no problem with this, it just meant we needed to organise a marquee for the garden.

We did this and when we were contacted by the management team to update our itinerary we informed them.

Two days before our wedding, one day before we were to go to the barn we called up the barn to let them know that the marquee firm would be arriving around 9:00am. At this point we were told that they didn't know we were having a marquee. We didn't think this would be a problem. We were wrong, we were told that we weren't allowed to have a marquee were we wanted it due to their grass being ruined. We were told we needed wooden flooring (this costs around £900). We instantly dropped everything and drove over to the barn and spent the night discussing with the owner what we were going to do. He was initially trying to get us to put the marquee around 400 meters away from the barn (my 85 year old grandmother would not have been able to manage) Eventually we came to an agreement we would put the marquee slightly further back on the main lawn.

We thought that everything was then sorted however this was not the case. We were contacted by the marquee company at around 9:00am on the day were meant to arrive at the barn. The owner had changed his mind and decided he was not happy with the arrangements we had agreed upon the night before. He was trying to get the marquee firm to deviate from what we had asked them to do. I again had to drive over to the barn to try and resolve the issue. The owner then spent the morning shouting at me that I had to compromise (this isn't something one feels they should have to do considering the price and the fact it is your wedding day).

I eventually gave up as I felt so upset. I was nearly in tears, I have not been shouted at like that in my life.

We also had to move where we put our juke box as they again added a new rule of which room music had to be played in. We were also asked to turn the music down at 10:00pm

Their two rules seemed to be multiplying by the minute.

I would not recommend getting married here or even staying here. Disgusting customer service levels

Liked least: Customer service
Travelling group: Large Group
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
jacki M
London, United Kingdom
“Wonderful place for a wedding!!”
Reviewed 5 April 2012 for a stay in March 2012
person found this review helpful

My son and his fiance got married here last weekend, it is a truly beautiful place! 18 of us stayed from Friday to Monday and enjoyed every moment. The ceremony took place in the house then we had canapes and champagne in the large sitting room and on a terrace followed by dinner in a matquee on the lawn. We used the recommended caterer, Andy Parle who was superb. We then went back into the house for were a band played in one area for those who wanted to dance while others could relax in the 'chill out' room. The following day the guests returned for a 'hog roast' lunch. We had 80 guests on the Saturday and 60 on the Sunday and it was very comfortable. There were table tennis touraments and extrem croquet (played uphill), a great time was had by all. If you are looking for a wedding venue in North Norfolk this should be it!!

Overall condition of the property Bedding & mattresses
Kitchen & utensils Bathroom cleanliness
Other facilities & amenities Service
Liked best: It is a truly beautiful place whether for a wedding venue or just a break away from it all
Liked least: Ther was nothing we didn't like
Travelling group: Large Group/Tour
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children Large groups
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing