When looking for somewhere to celebrate my birthday but not wanting to travel too far on a Friday evening, we picked Alfriston as a possible destination (only 30-40 minutes from home & I grew up nearby so knew what a pretty village it is). Wingrove House looked ideal and it definitely did not disappoint.
We received a very warm welcome from the owner, who showed us to our lovely room overlooking the church and the Tye (room 1). From the comfortable bed, huge bathroom and relaxing decor to the amazing food, superb wine & friendly service, this was the perfect break. Dinner was delicious, with locally sourced food & an excellent choice of wines, and the lounge and veranda were ideal for pre- and post-dinner drinks. The interior of the house is a cross between a delightful museum and exclusive gallery, with many interesting artefacts to view at every turn. The colonial-style exterior, with its pretty gardens and tasteful outside seating areas, adds to its uniqueness. Breakfast was superb, with homemade flapjack, a fresh fruit salad to die for, an excellent choice of breads and the perfectly cooked "full English", again with locally-sourced produce.
We left reluctantly but happy in the knowledge that we could quite easily go back any time. In fact, we returned the following Sunday, this time for a simply divine lunch, and were greeted like old friends. We feel this may become a regular event as it’s the perfect place to relax and forget the stresses of everyday life.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Wingrove House. Originally built as a family home in the mid 19th century, this recently refurbished colonial-style house offers restaurant and rooms within a relaxed and stylish destination in the beautiful and historic village of Alfriston, East Sussex. Run by a small team, offering a personal and friendly service, with airy verandas, candlelit bar and brasserie and pretty rooms, it's a real antidote to the rush and bustle, yet just over an hour from London. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com and Agoda so you can book your Wingrove House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Wingrove House Hotel Alfriston
- Wingrove Hotel East Sussex
- Wingrove House Alfriston, East Sussex