“Superlative Food”
Review of Wingrove House

Wingrove House
Ranked #1 of 6 Alfriston B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 February 2014

This is the second time we have eaten at Wingrove House. The reason we went back this time was because we had such a great meal last time we ate here. I agree that it would have been nicer to order our food in the lounge and go through to the dinning room when the starters were ready to be served. Another very small point for us was that we ordered a very expensive bottle of wine, but there was no decanter to let it breath before serving. It mean that the first glasses were not as good as the rest of the of the bottle, as was commented on by the waiter.

That said, another fantastic meal. No doubt we will be back again.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Wingrove House

Reviewed 21 February 2014

We are regular visitors to The Wingrove which in my opinion is one of the best restaurants in Sussex.The location,ambience & food are almost faultless,its just a shame there isn't a front person to add to the experience & make customers feel really welcome .Little things like being able to order food whilst enjoying drinks in the lounge would make it more enjoyable. Its by no means cheap & therefore a little more thought as to how to improve the overall dining experience would pay dividends That said we continue to frequent it on special occasions & recommend it to others.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank MAR0306
Reviewed 8 January 2014

My Husband and myself went for a two night break between Christmas and the New Year. The rooms were beautifully furnished and very comfortable and the food served in the restaurant was absolutely delicious. All the Staff were lovely, very friendly and couldn't have been more helpful. We have recommended Wingrove House to many friends and can't wait for our next visit.

Room Tip: We stayed in one of the rooms with a verandah. The verandah had a heater and comfy chairs and I wou...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 December 2013

Myself and my wife ate and stayed over at Wingrove House for the first time last night following the recommendation of our friends. From the very friendly welcome upon arrival, to the spacious room and outstanding food and service, we could not fault our experience at all. The owner is clearly very passionate about his business and this showed in every aspect of the house. We will be returning next year and have already recommended it to many friends and family. Thank you for helping to make my wife's birthday a brilliant day/night!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 December 2013

We have recently had a meal at the Wingrove in their private room. It was perfect for the group of us and the extra bit of privacy made it really special. The food and the service were both very good as well. Definitely worth considering if you are arranging a meal for a special occasion.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank VisitingFromSussex
Reviewed 9 October 2013

A beautiful little B&B with wonderful hospitality, lovely rooms, cosy lounge area with fireplace, all newly refurbished, very clean and tidy, and set in the middle of a quiet little village. It felt like a home away from home (if your home is particularly luxurious and idyllic!) Perfect place to stay for a weekend in the english countryside. I stayed here with a friend for a weekend while we were doing the Seven Sisters walk in the South Downs. The breakfast here was delicious and the host very kindly suggested some grilled halloumi for me when I said I didn't want any bacon or sausages.

The B&B has sufficient parking for guests. There is a restaurant attached so it may get busy on popular holiday weekends. The village had a couple of pubs and restaurants and a little shop which has a small selection of groceries. The location is very well situated for walks in the South Downs way.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ruk K
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Once again my husband and I have returned to the Wingrove for a romantic nights getaway. This time alone! As soon as we arrived we were shown to our room (1), overlooking the church grounds and the rear of very old cottages. Sweet :). A new addition to the suite is a Nespresso coffee machine, which is great for us as we use one at home. Also on the landing is a fridge with bottled water and little bottles of fresh milk. The bathroom in room 1 is bigger than room 2 but I still prefer the double aspect of room 2 (personal choice obviously). I still have yet to try 3 and 4 with the balconies.
After settling in we relaxed by the fire with some reading material and a couple of drinks enjoying the unobtrusive background music.
Ian our host, informed us they had now changed the format for ordering from the restaurant menu in the bar/lounge. You are actually taken to your dining table to order. Personally this is not a change for the better. I would rather be taken to my table once the food is almost ready. It's just a little thing?!
The food as ever was good, with very generous portions, (although they forgot to serve our bread). This time we noticed the acoustics were different from last. As the restaurant was full, it was very loud, but a good, buzzy loud. They do seat the couples away from the groups, so not so bad to endure. All the wooden floors I expect!
After a fab nights sleep with various pillows to choose from, we again enjoyed a spectacular breakfast spread. We really didn't want to leave, and shall return again I'm sure to our bolt hole getaway! As we left, even the female staff were gathering the wood for the fires. I love how everyone here is more like a little family and muck in! Don't change.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alfriston
Deans Place, Country Hotel and Restaurant
#2 of 2 in Seaford
Chalk Farm Hotel
Chalk Farm Hotel
#1 of 1 in Willingdon

Been to Wingrove House? Share your experiences!