All reviewssouth downspretty villagequaint villagedouble aspectfresh fruit saladrestaurant with roomsfillet steakpre dinner drinksopen fireovernight staylocal producewarm welcomecooked to perfectionlounge areasmall hotelsmoked salmonbreakfast was excellent
Reviewed 30 July 2017

I was forced to give the Wingrove a pretty scathing review a couple of years ago when the restaurant was crammed into the lounge area and our dining experience was distinctly mediocre. I am delighted that good sense has prevailed and the restaurant has been restored to its former location and glory.
We had a family supper there on a Saturday evening and were very impressed - delicious food, good, well priced wines and excellent service. Thank you and well done!@

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
WingroveSJS, Guest Relations Manager at Wingrove House, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2017

Dear HFsLondon, we're so pleased that your experience was so much better than last time. We are pleased to say that the roof to the restaurant was repaired last year which enabled us to re-open the dining area, and in turn, reinstate the lounge.
We are equally delighted to have the restaurant back where it should be!
Lots of other exciting changes coming soon at The Wingrove such as five additional rooms and the lounge having a facelift.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon

Reviewed 4 July 2017

A lovely place to stay in this interesting village very near Glyndebourne. The bedroom was comfortable and the bathroom very swish indeed. Breakfast was very good and the staff were more than welcoming.

Room Tip: There is no lift so do not choose a room at the top if you would have difficulty with stairs
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
WingroveSJS, Guest Relations Manager at Wingrove House, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2017

Dear owen562, thank you for such a lovely review. We very much hope we can welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 25 June 2017

My friends and I had a truly delicious meal, yesterday, to celebrate a birthday. There were eight of us having a broad choice of lunch from smoked salmon to pea/mint/rocket soup. My minute steak was cooked to perfection and I could have eaten it twice over. Friends had breaded chicken leg, a very large fish cake with cheese sauce filling and topped with a just right poached egg. A very memorable meal. I didn't have any dessert but everyone else tucked into a pavlova filled with strawberries/cream and rosewater coulis. I think I'll need to have my celebration there.

Room Tip: Choose the one over looking the garden, with a balcony.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
WingroveSJS, Guest Relations Manager at Wingrove House, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2017

Dear vivesse13, thank you for such a lovely review - and thank you for coming to Wingrove. We thoroughly enjoyed entertaining your party and do very much hope you'll be back to see us soon.

Reviewed 7 June 2017 via mobile

This was our 'fine dining' night during our three days in Alfriston. On the Sunday evening in June we visited there was only one other table occupied and the place felt a bit lifeless, I know this could just be the day we went but I was surprised how quiet it was.

Food wise the food is nice but didn't blow us away. We had the charcuterie starter which was very tasty and my partner had ham hock which we felt was nice but average.

For mains I had the fillet steak which was barely warm but I did eat it. I flagged this and the supplement was waived. I'd say for a fillet steak it was just ok, certainly not outstanding, not succulent or with a hint of charred grilling. My partner had the chicken, she enjoyed the chicken but felt the ratatouille was average.

Overall the food was nice but not great and eating here is fine. I think we were both expecting this to be a cut above the pub dining in the village however, but it wasn't.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank LondonFoodee
WingroveSJS, Guest Relations Manager at Wingrove House, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2017

Dear LondonFoodee, we are so sorry that you were disappointed with your evening at Wingrove. A quiet evening is unusual but not unheard of so you must have been rather unfortunate with your chosen day. We do hope you will visit us again another day.

Reviewed 6 June 2017

Perfect venue for afternoon tea. Great coffee. Delicious scones. Well-balanced selection of finger sandwiches, chocolate cake, raspberry meringue and lemon mouse - all made by the chef. Must go back mid-Summer to sit in the garden after a family meal in the lovely modern restaurant. Thank you to the host for showing us around!

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family

Dear Europeancapitals, thank you for such a lovely review. We're so pleased you enjoyed your afternoon tea. We'd be absolutely delighted to welcome you back soon.