Ye Olde Smugglers Inne
The Avondale(Seaford)
Chalk Farm Hotel(Willingdon)
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
All reviewsthe portion sizetoiletries providednooks and cranniespub foodlovely villagesteak and ale pietea coffeestayed for one nightsouth downs waygood sizefull englishpubssdwconservatorycupboardheatinglewes
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 9 July 2013

I booked a table for 8 oclock on Friday night only to wait an hour for our food ,and only to be told that thay were busy ,which at that time there was only a few people in there, as for the steak meal which two of my company had was quite poor never worth the money,the six of use was going to have a pudding so I thought I would ask how long we would have to wait and the young girl said she would ask and let us know ,as she never came back to us we decided to call it a night, wont be going back again. from Mrs Hatcher Seaford

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 July 2013

We only when in this pub for a meal, of scampi and chips, but it took nearly an hour to arrive. The reason supposedly was that they had lot of people in. However there was only one in our part of the bar so in the end for something to do really I went to investigate how many others I could see and it amounted to about six. I assume that they must have been the group who sent back some cloudy beer, and luckily for them couldn't hear the colourful language used about the complaint, although we could! When the food did eventually arrive it was nothing special, simply warmed up frozen fair from a packet. Maybe it was a bad day but not a nice one for us.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 February 2013

I have not eaten in this pub for a while as the last meal was really just huge portions of 'pub grub' of mass produced quality. Beer however is excellent. I would best describe this pub as a throwback to the late 70's and early 80's. It does have a nostalgic appeal of what pubs were like and in the right company it would be enjoyable. I did intend to stay on a previous occasion but was put off by the need to share a bathroom, in this day and age a definite no no, and the pricing of the room was in my opinion wishful thinking. In conclusion the place is curious,definitely a throwback, but in the right company OK.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 October 2012

we had a wedding at the star nice but not that friendly and very expensive so my mother, boyfriend and a few mates went to the smugglers what a lovely place, big fire a fantastic meal few wines, nice locals very helpful told us good places to enjoy while in Alfriston.The Wedding was lovely but we came back to eat at the smugglers all weekend what a find traditonal pub with loads of history the owner even showed us upstairs to the prist hole in the fire place.The next time were in Alfriston we will stay at the pub i want the sofa by the fire place and a large glass of wine and a good book could just move in

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank tina h
Reviewed 14 September 2012

A group of about 20 of us visited the Smugglers for an evenig meal after a day out walking in the area. The pub is very traditional with lots of character, we ate in the conservatory.
The food was very good, I had the fish and chips. The portion size was very generous and the fish (a portion each of hake, cod and haddock) was well cooked, nice and flakey with good chips. The ice cream for dessert on the menu said 2 scoops but it was more like a sundae when it arrived so the was great too.
On the downside there were few condiments on the tables with most of the pepper pots empty and only 1 salt cellar to go round. The owner was rather grumpy when we came to pay as we wanted to split the bill and pay individually so he rather resented having to put through a number of credit cards. Not sure why as it would only be the same as if we had booked individually. I tried to show a little humour but he didn't seem to respond well.
Would I recommend it? Yes for the food, but don't expect a warm welcome.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends