“Very Disappointing!!”

Ranked #11 of 12 Restaurants in Alfriston
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 31 March 2013

This is a jewel of a restaurant in the centre of Alfriston just 6 miles from our home.

Unfortunately, the whole experience did not live up to the experiences of many writers or we just picked the wrong night and then paid heavily for the privilege.

Menu - limited so should have been perfect with only 4 appetizers, 3 entrees
Wine - a mediocre, overpriced Fleuris to accompany the lamb - delivered to the table freezing cold.
Appetizers - overcooked scallops, dry game terrine (no charcuterie available) and mediocre mushroom dish.
Entrees - 3 overcooked lamb with a red wine goo, rather than jus, scant vegetable selection two of which were different anyway. One sea bass fillet (in two pieces) with distinctly un-crisped skin draped over a bed of oversalted wet spinach. Potatoes accompanying were sauteed/crushed and mushy.
Tasted and poured our own wine.......
Dessert - 2 chocolate mousse - superb! one sticky toffee pudding - superb! one slate of mixed miniscule morsels of assorted local'ish cheeses - OK.
The welcome from the proprietor was warm and enthusiastic but this effort is wasted if the food does not live up to expectations. Did we complain - no because the dinner was a Christmas present from our Son and Daughter in Law who we decided to take with us.
I hope the proprietors do respond to this review because I feel that we are owed an apology at the very least.

5  Thank 1turnedup
There are newer reviews for Moonrakers

Reviewed 15 March 2013

Fabulous food, amazing wine sourced personally from French vineyard. Intimate, friendly. Each course superb (best dauphinoise potato ever had in a restaurant and I have lived in France) . My husband was delighted with my choice for his birthday and we will return! Thank you for a wonderful evening!

1  Thank SGreen33
Reviewed 21 December 2012

I enjoyed a fabulous meal with my family at the restaurant mid week. Was looking for somewhere to take my parents out for a treat and living 100 miles away from then I rely on internet information. The Michelin rating is very good and the website enticing. The reviews on Tripadvisor are also very good, but I feel that they must be up against very stiff local competition if they are only rated 5th out of 14 in the small village of Alfriston!
Our party consisted of 2 grandparents, two parents and two girls (10 + 9) and so having the magic of Christmas was equally as important as the wine list. I was planning on staying at a cheap local travel hotel, but was convinced that my wife and I should stay in the suite above (while the girls stayed with their grandparents).
We were ushered into a small and very ancient dining room which was beautifully decorated for Christmas; Alfriston generally looks like something out of Dickens (or even Shakespeare) and every shop and pub had made special efforts. The staff were very helpful and attentive and the owner Robin was especially charming. I really think he enjoys pleasing people with his delightful restaurant and this comes across - not everyone who decides to open and run a restaurant has enough charisma to pull it off.
The food was perfect and worthy of the Michelin accolades (although I guess a little too small to be reaching for stars). The menu was simple - 4 starters, 4 mains and I think 3 desserts or cheese. Five of us had venison carpaccio (locally sourced) which was beautifully presented and balanced. One has the cure Tsar fillet of salmon (done on the premises) with beetroot. This too was perfect.
The Sussex lamb was really hearty and The sea bass was perfectly cooked and seasoned.
The nougatine parfait was delicious, but my money was on the the dark chocolate marquise which was just fabulous in taste and texture.
The wine list was simple but good quality and reasonably priced. We opted for a Malbec for £24 which was so nice that we stuck to this throughout the meal.
Throughout the service was prompt but not pushy. We really had a great chance to relax and to catch up. The other side of the restaurant had more tables and I guess this would have more atmosphere if you are expecting your dinner guests to be dull. We had quite the opposite problem of highly excited children and our secluded dining room was ideal.
Do not come here if you do not want to try something new, the menu must be limited to make such perfection economically viable on this small scale and must be inventive enough to attract interest from outside the village.
I think that overall it compares very favourably with some of the Michelin stared restaurants we have tried and if you want to get this level of fine dining outside London, you will not find many places as relaxed and intimate as this.
The suite of rooms upstairs was great; really wonky old beams every where and low door frames. I could walk around the rooms (I am 6'4") but needed to limbo dance through the doorways. The breakfast (continental) was superb.
I now plan to come here again when I am next in the area. We did not get to enjoy sitting outside on the terrace or indeed walk around the local Downs due to darkness and torrential rain. I hope to return, however in the new year and stay again when the sun is out and it is warm enough to dine outside.

Reviewed 26 November 2012

This is one restaurant we enjoy visiting when we visit E. Sussex. The lunch menus (served on Wed-Sat) are fantastic value. We had a carpaccio of venison and smoked salmon starters, Sussex lamb and wild Sea Bass mains. Perfectly cooked, beautifully presented, delicious. Pads were proficient but unexceptional. We were recommended a Sauvignon Blanc made by students at Plumpton Agricultural College. Exceptional! Also really unexpected grape for UK. Three courses were approx £20, wine similar. Looking forward to our next visit to this part of the world.

Reviewed 17 November 2012

Excellent food worth a visit.
We found the restaurant by chance and truly enjoyed everything.
Robin, our host, is never short of attention to entertain his guests.
It is not the regular place you'd find in every village or small town.
Therefore it makes it quite unique. They use quality premium local products.
Very good indeed. Enjoy!