“Delightful tea house and wonderful food”

Badgers @ The Old Village Bakery
Ranked #1 of 12 Restaurants in Alfriston
Price range: US$4 - US$11
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Welcome to our historic tea house! Alfriston was granted its market charter in 1406, and the house at Badgers dates from 1510 – over 500 years old! We know it was the village bakery for 200 years until 1933, and proprietor Michael Luttig and manager Lynn Attfield continue the tradition of exceptional baking on the premises. “Dissenters” from St Andrews Church met here in the late 18th Century until they built their own independent church (now the United Reformed Church) in 1801. We even have a Standing Stone in the pavement outside the front door…
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I would highly recommend having lunch at Badgers. The food is always brilliant and their ploughmans is delicious!! I tend to come here every week now as nothing else seems to compare to this wonderful tea house! The scones are the best I have ever tasted!!! The Staff are always friendly and Micheal is so welcoming and goes out of his way to give us a lovely experience.

3  Thank Hannah S
There are newer reviews for Badgers @ The Old Village Bakery

Reviewed 13 April 2014

Lunching at Badgers is, in general, a pleasant experience. The menu offers a range of options, including a delightful tea served in elegant crockery. I would rather not have the pointed comments about children displayed on the menu as it is not only children who can make being in a restaurant unpleasant. However, perhaps these were aimed at ensuring that the somewhat small space was not diminished further by lively activity. There is a garden area which would be lovely in the warm weather.

2  Thank cindylou45
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Amazing cakes - a lovely pot of tea - and a beautiful garden setting. The perfect place to "fuel up" before the long hike over Seven Sisters to Eastbourne.

2  Thank Worldramblings
Reviewed 12 April 2014

If you fancy a snack at lunchtime you can do no better than Badgers. The greeting was warm and friendly with good service. We sat inside which is small but loaded with character, the garden at the back is delightful when its warm enough. My wife loved all the extra details down to the decorative tea spoons. I had a bacon and brie toasty that came up with a very fresh salad with a side dressing which was delicious, my wife had Badgers Welsh Rarebit also with side salad. The price was very good for the high standard offered.

2  Thank Informerer
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Having travelled the world, I know a thing or two about a cup of coffee and a cheese scone. And I have finally found the best cheese scone (with pecan nuts) and delicious coffee (Segafredo brand). AM-MA-ZING! The tea room is very quaint, and as soon as I sat down I was greeting by the friendly Proprietor, who asked me 'how are you today?'. My order arrived promptly by a very attentive waitress. I could not fault anything. What a treat it is to find such a good quality establishment. I will be back!

1  Thank Maureen R