“Afternoon tea - Average quality, ungenerous, but good service”
Review of The Dining Room

The Dining Room
Ranked #8 of 12 Restaurants in Alfriston
Price range: US$24 - US$50
Cuisines: European, Contemporary
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: We look forward to welcoming you to the Dining Room at Deans Place, our newly refurbished restaurant. Our menus change monthly along with daily chef's recommendations so that we can offer the best of Sussex's wealth of local produce wherever possible. During the week, we have our more casual food offering with our Terrace & Bar menu, which is available from midday until 9:30pm. At the weekends, lunch is served in The Dining Room on Saturdays and Sundays from 12:30pm and last orders are at 3pm. Our traditional Sunday Lunches are extremely popular and are available in both The Dining Room and in the Terrace & Bar. The Dining Room is open every night for dinner from 6:30pm and last orders are taken at 9:30pm. Non residents are always welcome. All menus found on our site should be treated as sample menus. If you are interested in knowing the current month's menu, or would like to discuss dietary needs, please do not hesitate to contact the hotel. We do reserve the right to make amendments to any of our menus at any given time, however, they will always be in keeping with the style and quality that we are known for.
Reviewed 3 March 2014

£12.50/pp for Afternoon Tea is a reasonable price, but after my second visit I won't be returning. While the scones are of good quality, and there is good selection of tea, the cake selection has been sliced straight from a supermarket loaf, and the sandwiches aren't interesting, nor of high quality, nor suitable quantity, and asking for a few more ham and salmon added £6.50 to our bill - for four sandwich fingers.

I understand the need to keep costs under control, but £1.60 for a single sandwich finger seems excessive, no?

Service is polite and courteous, plenty of car parking, but not worth the trip.

1  Thank CrashBangWallop

Reviewed 23 February 2014

We ate here two nights running when we stayed at Deans Place Hotel. Excellent food and excellent service. Top marks - will definitely return.

3  Thank LondonFamily4
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Awesome - to dish up nearly 100 dinners like we had last night. The starter and main course were to die for. I had never eaten beef in restaurant like it - it just fell apart in your month. The service was spot on as well, both bar and the waiting staff. I didn't eat my pudding as I was too busy selling raffle tickets but that looked amazing as well. Couldn't fault it.

1  Thank JillWatson
Reviewed 3 February 2014

I have eaten in this restaurant twice and each time left feeling they are getting better but not quite there... The food has been enjoyable in the main but not all served properly. I wasn't expecting lumpy custard with dessert for instance. But on the whole,.. a good and varied menu offering at a very reasonable price and my partner has enjoyed it every time...

Reviewed 15 January 2014

Interesting menu - had trouble making my choices as it all sounded Interesting. Beautifully presented. Sensible sized portions meaning we didn't feel bloated afterwards. Very attentive service and we finished the meal with coffee in the comfy bar with lots of sofas and an open fire.

2  Thank Jo B