“Lovely country hotel with excellent customer service”

Deans Place, Country Hotel and Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Alfriston
Reviewed 18 July 2013

I stayed at Deans Place in June 2013 and found it to be a lovely relaxing hotel with friendly attentive and efficient staff. I was with a small group and we had three rooms booked for two nights. The bathroom in my room smelled of mold and when I informed the reception I was immediately upgraded to a much bigger room, no argument or questions asked! I was impressed by this as I wasn't really complaining about the smell just informing them. The hotel has a relaxed atmoshphere about it and the staff were always in the background to see if they could do anything for us. We had dinner there as well as breakfast and was pleased with the food both times. I have nothing but good things to say about this hotel.

Room Tip: The more expensive rooms are worth the exrta money.
2  Thank vanzanten

Reviewed 14 July 2013

Fantastic country setting in the Sussex Downs in the picture-postcard village of Alfriston, I stayed there with my Mother on our annual pilgrimage to the opera at Glyndebourne, from which it’s a 15 minute drive and an excellent choice for opera-goers.

I booked two rooms – an ‘Executive Double’ for £180 for me and my luggage … and Mum’s was a ‘standard’ double for £70.

My room was bright and spacious on the first floor (no lift) but one of the hotel staff was willing to hump my 32Kg suitcase up several flights of stairs and along a few corridors – luckily I didn’t have the usual five bags including all the cameras!!! I had a great view over the gardens and beyond into the countryside which was lovely.

Mum’s room was on the ground floor, quite a bit smaller with a partial view onto the pool. A bit small, the bathroom was internal (i.e. no windows) but it did have a full bath as well as a shower.

The place is incredibly rambling … apparently it’s been a hotel since the early 20th century and the original building dates back a lot earlier than that. It has obviously been added to over the years – in no specific order. Rooms are not numbered sequentially, and my Mum did get lost a couple of times trying to find her way around.

My room was fine – the décor was a bit confused – neither classic or contemporary – but it was bearable (to a design fascist like me) ….

The bathroom had a window (albeit frosted) to the outside, so it is nice to have that additional light, even though the grey / white 1970s style tiles looked a bit dodgy! It could do with an additional couple of hooks here and there for towels / bath robe, etc.

The bed was comfortable. There was a large wardrobe, Nespresso machine full tea / coffee facilities / medium sized desk which faced the wall rather than the view …. And no fridge, which to be honest, I would have expected from an ‘Executive’ room label.

However, the old ‘chill-the-Red-Bull-and-water-on-the-window-sill-overnight’ trick worked a treat. There was a nice wide window sill, and while the weather was absolutely glorious and sunny during the days, the night temperature plummeted to perfection for chilling drinks.

The gardens are extensive and fabulous – you can get a drink at the bar and wander round and find somewhere nice to sit and relax – when it’s good weather of course!

The restaurant we didn’t get a chance to try as we arrived later than anticipated for lunch, but by all accounts it’s well known in the area for being excellent. By the time we got back in from the opera at around ten to 10 p.m., we did ask if they could make a sandwich … But the kitchens had closed at 9.30. (had it been in Europe, they most probably would have obliged in my experience!)

Instead we had a drink in the bar which is in one of the original parts of the house. It’s well laid out with many comfortable sofas, seating areas and lots of old oak beams in the roof and other ‘charm’ features. There were lots of other people in there too, so good atmosphere with a lively conversational buzz. Several people had their dogs with them, so it’s also dog friendly which impressed my Mum!

The whole place is challenged for cell phone signal – apparently on all networks - as it’s in the middle of a valley. I had no service on any of my devices in my room for the time I was there … so for that reason, I’d think twice about staying again.

The internet was free, but in the room I was in the WIFI had a weak signal and kept dropping out – so not ideal, especially with no cell phone signal so I couldn’t use the 3G dongle. This means by default I could not stay there for more than an overnight as I need to be online.

Also, although my room was absolutely OK – it wasn’t THAT large – and I don’t think I received £110 more value than I paid for Mum’s room!

I would think about staying again for an overnight if in the area … but it wouldn’t be my first choice.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 July 2013

We chose this hotel for its proximity to Glyndebourne. Approach is lovely and generally the main public areas are all fine, the bar is nice and the staff here were very friendly and very efficient. The restaurant is also fine, I had a good meal, others were not so keen but the service was lack lustre. The maitre'd was really good but didn't have the staff to support him unfortunately. The pool area is an added bonus if the weather is good and the grounds are lovely. It's the rooms that lacked something for me. There were 4 couples in our group and everybody had a different room. Ours was tiny. Really really quite small. Difficult to find space to put your suitcase. The bathroom was also small and a little tired. Others had bigger rooms but very dated so you take your pick.

The location is lovely and Alfriston is a quaint little village that's worth a wander round. I am not saying I wouldn't stay here again (there is a lack of decent hotels around Glyndebourne) but I would want a decent price. Next time I think I would eat somewhere else too.

1  Thank Hillpudlian
Reviewed 23 June 2013

Booked this mainly because I love Alfriston, have visited many times, but have never stayed overnight. It is a great quintessential English village, full of character and right on The South Downs Way. As the weather forecast was unpredictable, I figured, if it was too wet for walking, at least we had a great place to stay. The hotel was also offering a superb deal, due to the tennis tournament taking place in nearby Eastbourne, and I was lucky enough that they had availability.
Its hard to find too much wrong with Deans, but the slightest of niggles would be..
When we arrived, another guest had walked in a few minutes ahead of us, and was dealt with promptly by a receptionist. When I approached the desk, the other receptionist on duty looked up from her screen and asked if we were together. If she had not been so focused on her screen, she would have known we were not. We went for a walk later and took advice from the same receptionist who suggested that we go to the main car park and take a footpath. When we went that way, there was a sign saying the footpath is temporarily closed. So not the greatest of 1st impressions..
The Breakfast room the next morning seemed very busy, with lots of staff on hand, and we were shown to our table. I ordered haddock and poached eggs from the menu and my partner helped himself to the Full English options from the hot buffet. The cold buffet has some of the best choices I have tasted, with delicious yoghurts and fresh fruits and nuts. I waited for my order while my other half finished his, and when I queried my order with a member of staff, mine appeared almost instantly and was delicious. We noticed we had no side plates, but got by without. While this was going on, the lady next to us, was brought a hot dish, and she told the waiter that she had already eaten. With the amount of staff, and with most guests helping themselves to the buffets, I thought service could have been smoother. But the above are just the most minor of niggles compared to the overall experience.
Generally, the staff are more than pleasant, and in particular the groundsmen. The gardens are lovely in their own right, and I had a swim before breakfast in the heated outdoor pool, which was divine on a crisp, misty morning.
Our room (room 2) was on the small side, but perfectly adequate and had a decent sized bathroom. The decor is not contemporary but pleasing, and spotlessly clean. Outside below is a drinking area, which I suspect is for guests only. It was noisy until @ 10.30pm, but then went quiet. The main road is not too far from the hotel so if you are susceptible to noise, you may wish to ask for a quieter room.
We dined at Wingrove House, which is practically next door, which I highly recommend. One last thing, and I thought this was a good touch... I did not get mobile phone reception in the whole of Alfriston, but the hotel offer guests the use of a free payphone, in reception. Now that is service...

3  Thank Brendan M
Reviewed 14 June 2013

My friend had booked a Champagne birthday Tea for me. the booking was made several weeks ago. When we arrived they had no record of the booking. But the barman was very good and laid a table for us. the service was excellent and the food was very good.

3  Thank Pamela G
Reviewed 14 June 2013

This is by far the best hotel that I have ever stayed in the UK. This is the 5th time we have stayed in the last 12 months, and such is the quality that we have now chosen this charming family run hotel as our regular retreat from the hassle of City life when we need to recharge our batteries.

Harcourts Restaurant is of a very high standard, as is the quality, choice and freshness of the food, which is complimenetd by the attentive service.

The rooms all seem to have been recently redecorated, and the Karma in the hotel is excellent.
All of the staff are so pleasant and obliging, and nothing seems too much trouble.

This is an excellent base for exploring the lovely Sussex countryside, and a walkers haven.

James and his Team are to be congratulated.

We look forward to our return visit, next month.

Room Tip: Rooms to the rear of the hotel seem airier and quieter, although we have never been disappointed by...
4  Thank 737David737
Reviewed 10 June 2013

We generally stay here when going to Glyndebourne Opera. It is a lovely hotel with friendly staff and good food (though the buffet breakfast - plus eggs to order not as good as Crossways). There's an outdoor pool and lovely garden. The rooms are of a good size (we book a superior room) and quiet(ish) - the floors creak and the firedoors tend to wake a light sleeper.

Room Tip: See review, rooms 23 & 24 have a good view over to the country.
2  Thank mikehandel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alfriston
The Star at Alfriston
The View Hotel
The View Hotel
#3 of 40 in Eastbourne
Premier Inn Eastbourne (Polegate) Hotel

Been to Deans Place, Country Hotel and Restaurant? Share your experiences!