“Olde worldy”

Deans Place, Country Hotel and Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Alfriston
Reviewed 1 September 2013

I didn't know what we had been booked into until I had arrived as someone else had booked for us. Had I known it was a very old quaint property I probably wouldn't have booked there as in my previous experiences what this type of property has in spades is a history, oak beams, creaky floorboards, quaint pots and pans on display etc etc. I was right, all that was missing was Mrs Overall from Acorn Antiques waddling in with a tray of tea. We arrived late 12.45am and even though we had informed them of this the night porter said no one had told him and that they had all just gone without a word to him.... Alarm bells were just starting to ring in my head. He asked me to sign in and gave me an electronic key card, maybe I was wrong I thought, maybe this premises had moved with the times. After sending us on our way pointing into the distance we eventually found our room which was no bigger than a broom cupboard, my wife had to lay on the bed to enable me to move around the room and visa versa. The Television was a flat screen 14 inch model and had to be unplugged every time my wife used the hair dryer. When the plug was removed it then fell behind the furniture and had to be hooked back to where I could plug it back in. Breakfast was of the highest standard, the choice and selection was superb and was one of the best I have ever had. My wife complained about the size of the room and after a little while we were told that they would be upgrading us and could we please collect our belongings and were given the room key for the bridal suite. This was much bigger and was the standard of room I was expecting however my brother in law had also complained as he had problems with noise outside his room with anyone who walked down the corridor sounding like it was the changing of the guards inside his room only to be compounded by the stomping of the staff delivering the room service, banging on the neighbours door and bellowing room service all morning. He wasn't impressed and reported the incidents. They apologised said that they would inform the staff not to do it again and refunded one of his nights stay. In conclusion, it wasn't cheap €110.00 a night for bed and breakfast and they don't pretend to be a Marriott or Holiday Inn and they can only work with the building they've got, but I won't be in a rush to go back.

Room Tip: Ask for one that's not a postage stamp size
3  Thank Ian S

Reviewed 31 August 2013

The new vegetarian menu is the best I have seen in a long time, and the food was excellent. All the staff were very friendly and helpful. We enjoyed a very nice 48 hour stay at Deans Place, and would go there again.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Philip C
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Set in the quaint little village of Alfriston, Deans Place Hotel is a gorgeous hotel to stay at.
Staff on reception were friendly and welcoming on check-in and our room (even though a cheaper one) was really lovely. Very clean, nice furnishings and bedding.
We had previously stayed here over twenty years ago (pre-children) and had a luxury, four-poster room that time which over-looked the walled garden.
Good choice at breakfast time and a very nice a la carte dinner menu. Only criticism is they don't really cater very well for vegetarians.
Lots of really beautiful places to visit within a twenty mile radius of the hotel.

2  Thank Debbie W
James D, General Manager at Deans Place, Country Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2013

Dear Debbie W,

Thank you for your comments and I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. We do offer a full 3 course vegetarian and vegan menu for both lunch and dinner which consists of 3 starters, 3 mains and 3 desserts. We also have a variety of vegetarian breakfast options available on request. All our dishes are prepared freshly and can be adapted to suit any dietary requirements.

I'm sorry you weren't made aware of these while with us, but hopefully on your next visit you will be able to enjoy them.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 25 August 2013

We stayed for my birthday in the winter and booked a package to include afternoon tea and dinner. The food was excellent, however the bedroom looked dated and tatty. Yes, the building is old and that is part of it`s charm, but the bedroom was small and cramped and the bathroom tiny. The décor looked really old fashioned and I think the hotel is really only interested in making its money from weddings in the summer. It is set in a fantastic location and is lovely for a romantic getaway, but the bedrooms seriously need updating

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 August 2013

We stopped by for lunch yesterday for our wedding anniversary. It's a beautiful location and has heavenly grounds.

We found a table on the terrace which was covered in dirty crockery.. Nobody showed any interest but we several times asked passing staff to clear it - which they eventually did piecemeal. Nobody thought of wiping the table at any stage. Our drinks did arrive after about 10 minutes. On arrival I asked for a menu and the lad on the bar said rather nonchalantly that they didn't have any at the moment. Fortunately another customer came to the rescue! I then asked what the soup of the day was. He said he would have to go to the kitchen and check. This was at 120pm!

Our starters were a very bland broccoli soup and what was advertised as salted cod was mainly mashed potato.

About half an hour after we'd finished the starters the main course arrived. It was nicely cooked and presented but the portions were extremely small. I kept thinking a plate of veg was on its way - but then again there was no bread with the soup! The water we had asked for with the main course just never arrived.

I was still quite hungry and a bit disenchanted with the service so we decided to cut our losses and pop up to the lovely Chestnuts cafe in the village for coffee and cake.

Give this place a miss if you want a special experience. It's over-priced and the staff are apathetic and very poorly trained.

Reviewed 21 August 2013

What a lovely comfortable hotel this is. No utilitarian, horrid, ikea plastic type makeovers here. Plenty of comfortable sofas and armchairs in the bar area. Lovely terrace and gardens. Food superb, staff ditto! If you want a hotel to completely relax in, Deans Place is the place for you. We have now stayed there several times and it`s charm will no doubt bring us back many times more. The surrounding Sussex countryside only serves to enhance the experience of a visit.

Reviewed 20 August 2013

We stayed for one night at Deans Place in Alfriston. The hotel is set in pretty gardens and we had a very pleasant stay here for one night. Staff at reception is friendly (ask for a room with a view), rooms are fine.
The breakfast is exceptionally good. Great choice of cereals, different seeds, both dried fruit salad and fresh fruit. The bacon and sausages are of very good quality (farmhouse). One bit of advice, fried eggs have to be ordered at the beginning, which we were not told about.
I would stay here again if in the area (which is also close to Glyndebourne and Charleston House, of Bloomsbury group fame.

Room Tip: Some rooms look out on a blank wall, ask for a garden room view
1  Thank frakaren
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alfriston
The Star at Alfriston
#1 of 1 in Lower Dicker
Chalk Farm Hotel
Chalk Farm Hotel
#1 of 1 in Willingdon

Been to Deans Place, Country Hotel and Restaurant? Share your experiences!