“Fantastic service and high quality food.”

Deans Place, Country Hotel and Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Alfriston
“Fantastic service and high quality food.”
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Wasn't staying at the hotel, just a meal in the restaurant, food was good quality, nicely presented and everything was nice. Will be going back, next time in the area. The hotel was nice looking, with easy free parking.

Because the restaurant was so good, next time will possibly book a room and stay the weekend for a relaxing break.

The manager of the restaurant was also very good, first class from start to finish. Just how things should be.

Location is very nice also, interesting place to visit and lots of nice places to walk around, which is on my list to do next time when not so busy.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Mediawatch

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
Orpington
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Clean, comfortable. Our standard room was big enough and in excellent condition. The property has been extended so many times it is hard to see where the original part might be. It is mostly very tasteful: I specially liked the corridors, which were many, in pale paint with very dark woodwork and large gold numbers painted on the room doors.
Attractive grounds, including a croquet lawn, with equipment: anyone know the rules? Right on the edge of Alfriston village.
Breakfast was buffet style. Good ingredients but keeping them hot does no favours to scrambled eggs.
Tea, included in our deal was plentiful and fresh with real clotted cream but otherwise not specially interesting. Dinner was very generous (especially considering the age of the diners: i am retired but was one of the youngest) but short of finesse.
Excellent value on our deal.

Room Tip: Our room, 48, had some bit of electrical equipment droning under the window. A cowl or secondary gla...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Oncewasgrumpy
Darlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 September 2013

...my wife and I enjoyed a relaxing night here, leaving our little one with Grandparents overnnight for the first time. Comfortable nights sleep, good food in the restaurant at dinner and breakfast, and all the staff we met......fantastic

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Stayed here for two nights last week. Have stayed at Dean's Place three times over last couple of years. Return because of fantastic all round experience. Rooms comfortable, food wonderful - vegetarian menu excellent, staff friendly and helpful, gardens beautiful, public areas very nice. All very well kept. Couldn't fault it. Left some toiletries behind by accident and they posted them on to me promptly. They offer very good value. Will be going back soon. Well done everyone at Deans Place! Thank you very much! (Dog friendly too!)

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We spent 4 days in Alfriston as a base for our Southern England trips. It is a wonderful area, quiet place, nice countryside. Hotel itself is nicely furnished, excellent service and food. We plan to go there again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 September 2013

I didn't know what we had been booked into until I had arrived as someone else had booked for us. Had I known it was a very old quaint property I probably wouldn't have booked there as in my previous experiences what this type of property has in spades is a history, oak beams, creaky floorboards, quaint pots and pans on display etc etc. I was right, all that was missing was Mrs Overall from Acorn Antiques waddling in with a tray of tea. We arrived late 12.45am and even though we had informed them of this the night porter said no one had told him and that they had all just gone without a word to him.... Alarm bells were just starting to ring in my head. He asked me to sign in and gave me an electronic key card, maybe I was wrong I thought, maybe this premises had moved with the times. After sending us on our way pointing into the distance we eventually found our room which was no bigger than a broom cupboard, my wife had to lay on the bed to enable me to move around the room and visa versa. The Television was a flat screen 14 inch model and had to be unplugged every time my wife used the hair dryer. When the plug was removed it then fell behind the furniture and had to be hooked back to where I could plug it back in. Breakfast was of the highest standard, the choice and selection was superb and was one of the best I have ever had. My wife complained about the size of the room and after a little while we were told that they would be upgrading us and could we please collect our belongings and were given the room key for the bridal suite. This was much bigger and was the standard of room I was expecting however my brother in law had also complained as he had problems with noise outside his room with anyone who walked down the corridor sounding like it was the changing of the guards inside his room only to be compounded by the stomping of the staff delivering the room service, banging on the neighbours door and bellowing room service all morning. He wasn't impressed and reported the incidents. They apologised said that they would inform the staff not to do it again and refunded one of his nights stay. In conclusion, it wasn't cheap €110.00 a night for bed and breakfast and they don't pretend to be a Marriott or Holiday Inn and they can only work with the building they've got, but I won't be in a rush to go back.

Room Tip: Ask for one that's not a postage stamp size
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Ian S
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 August 2013

The new vegetarian menu is the best I have seen in a long time, and the food was excellent. All the staff were very friendly and helpful. We enjoyed a very nice 48 hour stay at Deans Place, and would go there again.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Philip C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alfriston
The Star at Alfriston
Chalk Farm Hotel
Chalk Farm Hotel
#1 of 1 in Willingdon
Ashdown Park Hotel & Country Club

Been to Deans Place, Country Hotel and Restaurant? Share your experiences!