“Nice hotel but poor rooms”

Deans Place, Country Hotel and Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Alfriston
Reviewed 23 June 2014

The hotel is in a very nice location but the rooms are poor, the first room was unacceptable with inadequate ventilation on a warm day, we were moved to a second room which was not much better and had a very small bathroom and uncomfortable bed.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mark H

Reviewed 22 June 2014

My daughter's wedding was held here and to say we were delighted with the venue is an understatement. The location of the hotel was second to none and the interior was charming. The food was superb and plentiful.
The staff were hard-working, dedicated and beyond helpful and ensured that the day was greatly enjoyed by all who attended. As a result my daughter and all her friends and family had the most fantastic and memorable day.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank clarkfa
Reviewed 21 June 2014

The last time I reviewed Deans Place on Trip Advisor, I commented that the food quality seemed not quite as good as on previous visits. I stayed there again in May of this year, and again, was not satisfied with the food quality. That time, I wrote directly to the hotel and the manager said he would make changes to the menu and also offered me a complimentary dinner.

I decided to give them another chance and have just got back from a two night stay and have to say they have really improved on my last two experiences. This time, I was staying alone (for business) while normally I stay with a friend (for a walking weekend etc). I was made to feel very welcome and comfortable and did not feel at all awkward about dining alone.

One of my criticisms from my previous stay was that all of the red meat on the menu is served pink. I know that is the correct way for these cuts to be prepared, but unfortunately, I cannot eat pink meat. The manager pointed out that the chef would prepare any meats to a customer's taste - but that makes one feel like a 'difficult' customer if it's not offered as an option. I was delighted to find the restaurant menu now makes clear that all meats will be cooked to individual taste.

I had guinea fowl on the first night - which was absolutely delicious. The second night I had fillet of beef - well done. It was the best I've ever tasted and although the portion was extremely generous, I didn't leave a single mouthful. Cooked to perfection (to my taste) and although very well done, still juicy, tender and succulent. Every other dish I had, from starters to desserts, were equally well prepared and presented.

Breakfasts - as always - were a highlight. Best quality, fresh ingredients, well cooked and as much choice as anyone could wish for.

Well done Deans Place and thank you for making what was a hard-working few days for me, a really enjoyable experience.

Room Tip: My room had only a view of a wall and other hotel rooms - but it didn't matter since I was there...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Walker036
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Situated in a charming village on the South Downs way this hotel proved to be an absolute gem for 30 guests of Alpine Bridge when we arranged our summer Bridge and walking holiday there in June 2014.

Set amongst some beautiful gardens and with a good sized heated outdoor swimming pool we were able to take advantage of some lovely weather, and the Garden room where we played our Bridge each evening was an absolute delight.

The management were very helpful and well organised, and nothing was too much trouble for them to arrange on our behalf. All of the staff were lovely people, very friendly and gave their service with a real genuine warmth and a smile.

The restaurant was well run and the breakfasts and dinners were quite superb. There was also an extremely extensive wine list with many wines of fine quality and generally quite reasonably priced.

All of the bedrooms are slightly different and maybe some of the en suite bathrooms could be improved as the fittings and plumbing are a little dated, but that apart you are guaranteed a peaceful and a comfortable night's sleep. Each room is equipped with a fan which we needed, as we were in the middle of a very warm spell! Perhaps air conditioning in the rooms would be a good idea for the future?

So, an excellent place for a relaxing holiday, a short break or a business meeting and hence its popularity with guests and locals alike. We have already booked again for 2015!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the gardens are worth asking for.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Trevor018
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Had a livingsocial voucher for this hotel for Afternoon Cream tea, was greeted by the front desk, shown to our table, ordered our drinks at the bar, was served by Jade, she was lovely, we sat and waited for our Cream tea to arrive, she came and asked if we wanted tea or coffee, we both said tea of which i asked for herbal tea, she got the box of tea and i choose mine, my wife had earl grey, when jade brought our cream tea it had plenty to choose from, when finished we were full up, when we found out how much it is per person, we would have paid the price, it was worth it and to die for, Jade was first class, she was all over the place, and as she passed us, asked it we were enjoying it, and of course the answer was yes,thanks for a great afternoon tea, you should visit, well worth it.

Room Tip: Just go and see for yourself, that is all i can say.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank gerry66
James D, General Manager at Deans Place, Country Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Dear Gerry66,

Thank you for such a wonderful review! I know Jade has had a chance to read your comments herself and she was very happy to hear your feedback. We really are lucky to have such a good team of staff.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future to Deans Place.

Kind Regards,
James Dopson

Reviewed 10 June 2014

Set in a small pretty village this has a real {far from the crowds} feel to it . surrounded by the beautiful south downs with lambs and cow's in the nearby fields. Lovely country walks to do and then return to a log fire in the 'chinzy' bar . [Winter time } Staff very helpful and friendly . We have stayed here many times and would highly recommend it . Award wining restaurant . The bar food is very good to
Outdoor swimming pool . The rooms over the bar can be noisy with late night drinkers but apart from that it is still a stunning little place to stay .

Room Tip: Avoid rooms over the bar area
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank margosussex

Dear Margosussex,

Thank you for taking time to give us such a lovely review! As you quite rightly point out, we are situated in a fantastic part of the world with some amazing walking available on our doorstep. We have a pretty amazing selection of over 30 gins and some great local ales brewed just across the river at the Long Man Brewery.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Deans Place in the future.

Kind Regards,
James Dopson

Reviewed 3 June 2014

We stayed overnight to meet up with friends in the restaurant for dinner.The room was depressing with a view into the back of the hotel.The shelf in the bathroom was badly chipped.We
had our two small dogs with us so we assumed this to be the reason why we were allocated this less than appealing room. .The wallpaper in the bar was scuffed near the seating area.The food was ok and the service excellent.Overall a good refurb would improve matters.Didn't feel very welcomed.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alfriston
The Star at Alfriston
#1 of 1 in Lower Dicker
Chalk Farm Hotel
Chalk Farm Hotel
#1 of 1 in Willingdon

Been to Deans Place, Country Hotel and Restaurant? Share your experiences!