“Good location”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Alfriston
London
“Good location”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I stayed here for 2 nights in April (have been slow doing this review) in a twin ground floor room.

The hotel is in a lovely location which is great for walkers. Although the hotel has it's own restaurant and bar it is only a short walk to a number of other places to eat in Alfriston. We ate dinner in the bar one night and the food was very good.

The room was a decent size, as was the bathroom, and was very comfortable. The hotel has lovely grounds which in good weather would be lovely to sit out in.

Breakfast was an excellent selection of hot and cold food.

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and definitely intend to return.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank L_Braybrook

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
brighton
Reviewed 29 June 2014

W e went to Deans Place Hotel for afternoon tea with champagne, this was a birthday present,so we did not know what to expect as we had not being there before, but we did not need to worry as from the moment we got there the staff were very helpful, they asked what we would like did we eat meat, did we want tea or coffee.
we were told we could have tea inside or outside, seeing as it was sunny out side we decided to have tea outside on the patio, as soon as we were seated the waitress came over with two coffee cups and a plate followed by two glasses of champagne & a pot of coffee while we drank our coffee she bought out a tray sandwiches with scones, cakes, jam & cream which we proceeded to enjoy, it was all very good from start to finish.

I would recommend afternoon tea at Deans Place, its a great place with a nice garden to walk around. We spoke to some guest who had stayed at the hotel & said it was a bit dated but the service from the staff was great.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Melbourne, Vic
Reviewed 29 June 2014

A comfortable country house style hotel with good facilities including outdoor swimming pool, attractive gardens and gin-soaked bar! On the edge of a pleasant Sussex village which has several attractions including oldest National Trust property and several eating options of good quality including great cake at Badgers. Also two good hairdressers for last minute Glyndebourne glamour. But no ATMs.

Room was of adequate size (we were travelling heavy) and very comfortable. Serviced twice daily. Breakfasts OK though most hot food pre-cooked. Free wifi but apparently not good in all rooms Lots of cosy nooks and crannies for sampling bar and doing wifi if your room was not blessed by the wifi gods. Restaurant OK but other options in village.

Overall strongly recommended in the area.

Room Tip: Ask for garden view and ensure wifi reaches it.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank SallyandHarry
Newbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2014

The hotel is in a very nice location but the rooms are poor, the first room was unacceptable with inadequate ventilation on a warm day, we were moved to a second room which was not much better and had a very small bathroom and uncomfortable bed.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mark H
Reviewed 22 June 2014

My daughter's wedding was held here and to say we were delighted with the venue is an understatement. The location of the hotel was second to none and the interior was charming. The food was superb and plentiful.
The staff were hard-working, dedicated and beyond helpful and ensured that the day was greatly enjoyed by all who attended. As a result my daughter and all her friends and family had the most fantastic and memorable day.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank clarkfa
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 June 2014

The last time I reviewed Deans Place on Trip Advisor, I commented that the food quality seemed not quite as good as on previous visits. I stayed there again in May of this year, and again, was not satisfied with the food quality. That time, I wrote directly to the hotel and the manager said he would make changes to the menu and also offered me a complimentary dinner.

I decided to give them another chance and have just got back from a two night stay and have to say they have really improved on my last two experiences. This time, I was staying alone (for business) while normally I stay with a friend (for a walking weekend etc). I was made to feel very welcome and comfortable and did not feel at all awkward about dining alone.

One of my criticisms from my previous stay was that all of the red meat on the menu is served pink. I know that is the correct way for these cuts to be prepared, but unfortunately, I cannot eat pink meat. The manager pointed out that the chef would prepare any meats to a customer's taste - but that makes one feel like a 'difficult' customer if it's not offered as an option. I was delighted to find the restaurant menu now makes clear that all meats will be cooked to individual taste.

I had guinea fowl on the first night - which was absolutely delicious. The second night I had fillet of beef - well done. It was the best I've ever tasted and although the portion was extremely generous, I didn't leave a single mouthful. Cooked to perfection (to my taste) and although very well done, still juicy, tender and succulent. Every other dish I had, from starters to desserts, were equally well prepared and presented.

Breakfasts - as always - were a highlight. Best quality, fresh ingredients, well cooked and as much choice as anyone could wish for.

Well done Deans Place and thank you for making what was a hard-working few days for me, a really enjoyable experience.

Room Tip: My room had only a view of a wall and other hotel rooms - but it didn't matter since I was there...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Walker036
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Situated in a charming village on the South Downs way this hotel proved to be an absolute gem for 30 guests of Alpine Bridge when we arranged our summer Bridge and walking holiday there in June 2014.

Set amongst some beautiful gardens and with a good sized heated outdoor swimming pool we were able to take advantage of some lovely weather, and the Garden room where we played our Bridge each evening was an absolute delight.

The management were very helpful and well organised, and nothing was too much trouble for them to arrange on our behalf. All of the staff were lovely people, very friendly and gave their service with a real genuine warmth and a smile.

The restaurant was well run and the breakfasts and dinners were quite superb. There was also an extremely extensive wine list with many wines of fine quality and generally quite reasonably priced.

All of the bedrooms are slightly different and maybe some of the en suite bathrooms could be improved as the fittings and plumbing are a little dated, but that apart you are guaranteed a peaceful and a comfortable night's sleep. Each room is equipped with a fan which we needed, as we were in the middle of a very warm spell! Perhaps air conditioning in the rooms would be a good idea for the future?

So, an excellent place for a relaxing holiday, a short break or a business meeting and hence its popularity with guests and locals alike. We have already booked again for 2015!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the gardens are worth asking for.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Trevor018
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alfriston
The Star at Alfriston
#5 of 40 in Eastbourne
The Boship Lions Hotel
The Boship Lions Hotel
#1 of 1 in Lower Dicker

Been to Deans Place, Country Hotel and Restaurant? Share your experiences!