“They like dogs”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Alfriston
London, United Kingdom
“They like dogs”
Reviewed 31 August 2014

One of the few places in the area that accept dogs and it is a lovely setting!
The rooms are perfectly adequate but a little tired but the staff are very good and look after you
and the food is extremely good.
For walks it is great as you leave the hotel straight onto the South Downs Way and miles of empty countryside.
Well worth a visit.

Room Tip: Choose a room overlooking the garden
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank princecharlie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
Brighton and Hove, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2014

Deans Place Hotel itself is beautiful; plenty of relaxing green space, great character and atmosphere inside, a kissing bridge; even a croquet lawn (our Dad's loved it). Located in the equally beautiful and cozy village of Alfriston, Deans Place Hotel created the perfect backdrop for our special day, as evident from our wedding photos which we couldn't be happier with. It's exactly what I wanted, and how I pictured our wedding venue to be, however what really set Deans Place apart was the attentiveness of the staff, an absolute credit to the hotel. My new wife and I were made to feel truly special; from Tracy, our rock and dedicated wedding coordinator, to Jo, a true professional; I was in awe watching her coordinate the service during the wedding breakfast. We felt so much positive energy and warmth from everyone at the hotel, including good wishes from James, the general manager and being introduced as 'the bride and groom' by Ken, our master of ceremonies. We look forward to seeing everyone at the hotel soon and to booking the executive suite for our first anniversary.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Sal714
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2014

We took advantage of the Sunday night offer at the hotel, thinking that hotel looked quite nice and the restaurant menu should have been lovely with it's two rosette awards. Unfortunately, it did not live up to expectation. We booked about two months ago and made a dinner reservation, this was then confirmed again when I called a few days before to ensure they had my special dietary requirements. Upon arrival, we were told a table had not been booked!! Luckily, it was a quiet night, so our reservation was fine but if it had been busy I think we may have ended up at one of the pubs in Alfriston, which sadly we should have gone to after experiencing the food here. I've not experienced such a poor meal for a two rosette restaurant. My fish starter was almost raw and cold, I asked for my beef to be medium to well and had to wait the extra time for it to be 'cooked'. When it was served, it was still rare. The 'roast' potatoes were flavourless and seemed to just have been boiled and rolled in fat and the veg had no flavour. The only thing that saved my meal was the chocolate fondant dessert, which was lovely. I couldn't fault the service in the restaurant, they were excellent at attending to my special dietary requirements and were friendly and efficient.
Our tablecloth was a little dirty when we sat down and the one on the table next to us looked like it had a big shoe print on it! I would have expected proper napkins and instead we were presented with paper ones - certainly not the makings of a nice, relaxing place to eat. I really don't know how they've earned their rosette awards - people clearly have a different idea of good food to us. I've had nicer meals in a pub for half the price.
The rooms were very tired looking, the shower dripped and disturbed my partner who is not a good sleeper anyway. The outdoor pool didn't seem to have any changing facilities, so you would have to walk back through the hotel to the room still wet.
I'm not one to eat a lot at breakfast, but it all looked nice and there was plenty of choice.
All in all I was glad to leave this one behind I'm afraid, the whole place needs updating and a new chef!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank FussyMissy
London
Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

This is a nice picturesque hotel with an outdoor pool and very nice bar area. Staff are friendly enough and the service is fair although a touch expensive but then most Alfriston places are - it's part of the Alfriston experience!! Building is lovely, rooms comfortable although some a little tired and a bit on the small side. Garden is nice too! It is a great place to stay but it always makes me chuckle that the staff act as if it is very formal five star!! Breakfast is really good too!

• Stayed July 2014
Sevenoaks, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2014

I liked this place very much. It has been there for aeons and I went there because my mother
Used to talk about it with nostalgia. It is indeed very nice, great garden, food is good. I like the fact it backs onto the footpath along the Cuckmere River. If you love Alfriston you will know what I mean. Only drawback for me was going as a singleton, the room was fairly airless and it was one of the hottest days of the summer. I was in quite a cramped space and with just a fan to keep me cool. I know it doesnt happen often but some a/c would have been most welcome on this occasion.

Room Tip: Not sure but perhaps ask for the older part of the hotel rathe than the new addition. If going solo...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Alfriston is a classic unspoiled Sussex village which attracts campers, walkers and tourists. There are a number of tea shops and pubs. Deans Place is at the edge of the village with well kept grounds and plenty of parking. It is likely to attract a large number of weddings and other celebrations and there is a diverse selection of guests. Like many olde world hotels it has it's disadvantages and if you are tall you may leave with a bruised head! Our room was above the entrance and did not have a good view of the south downs. We heard the occasional suitcase being dragged but this did not disturb our sleep. It was comfortable with a large double bed and there is a turn down service which is welcoming. There is not much space in the room and the bathroom was very small and uninspiring but quite functional. The furnishings all over the hotel are rather tired but well in keeping with the general old fashioned atmosphere. The bar is a pleasant intimate place to drink or relax on the settees and is certainly needed when it is raining (boots are provided if you go outside). We did not have dinner there but the function room seems to be used as a dining room sometimes and it is a rather boring area. The reception staff are efficient but not over friendly (there were no "Good Mornings" as we passed staff in the corridors) however it is at breakfast that the hotel exceeds expectation. The staff, and particular Luis, are very attentive and you will not wait long to be served. There is a full extensive breakfast and also included are various items by order such as waffles. The quality of the food was high and the dining room was light and spacious. The rooms were cleaned daily with polite and happy staff. Overall it was a good experience and would be a great place for a peaceful week-end away. There are 3 pubs in the village all of which serve food so you are not confined to the hotel and they are all within walking distance. We paid £140 per night including breakfast for a double room at the weekend.

Room Tip: Two aspects of the hotel look out over the car park. Ask for an unrestricted view.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bluebellplasnewydd
Hampshire
Reviewed 10 August 2014

It's good to find a hotel in which all the staff are cheerful and helpful, as well as having clean and well-equipped rooms at reasonable prices. The only slight disappointment was with a couple of the items on the dinner menu in the attractive restaurant, which were over-complex and rather bland. We would suggest the chef should not try quite so hard to produce "clever" combinations of ingredients, and should let good quality ingredients, simply cooked, speak for themselves.
But overall, a good hotel in wonderful countryside.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alfriston
The Star at Alfriston
#5 of 40 in Eastbourne
East Sussex National
East Sussex National
#1 of 2 in Little Horsted

Been to Deans Place, Country Hotel and Restaurant? Share your experiences!