“Outstanding restaurant”

Cuisines: British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, Private Dining, Reservations
Reviewed 19 August 2014

While walking, four of us went for an evening meal on spec. Staff were unphased by my flop-flops and we were made very welcome by very friendly, attentive staff.

We had a first class meal, using local, fresh ingredients in an imaginative but not over -fussy way. The wines were excellent, the gin selection as exceptional and our three courses worked out at a little over £50.00 per head which, given the standard of the food and the service, was excellent value.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

Found this lovely place by chance when staying elsewhere in Alfriston overnight. Although they were going to have a busy evening there was no problem accommodating our group of four. The service was friendly and attentive without being intrusive. The whole building has a lovely ambience.
Very impressed by their list of gins! The food was excellent, much of it obviously locally sourced, with fresh fish and some exceptional local charcuterie. Very good value for a meal of this quality. We must come and stay.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

I have been to Alfiston a few times but somehow always missed this restaurant, Not sure why. (It is at the southern end of the village)

We had an excellent meal, well presented and perfectly cooked food, a good but reasonable wine list and a very pleasant ambiance. A particularly well presented and delicious Eton mess was a highlight.

The colonial style of the building makes it unusual and the décor is quirky but in a very positive way. Service was a little slow but pleasant. We shall certainly return

Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

Lovely new find tucked in alfriston. We went there to celebrate our first wedding anniversary. Had to book in advance so make sure you book early. Had pre dinner drinks outside on terrace before being seated in main restaurant. Very helpful and chatty waitress who was friendly and attentive. Food was really delicious I had beef and husband had pork. Excellent potions. Only criticism is that time to serve food was slow. Between starter and main a good 20 mins but luckily with good company time flew. Would recommend and return.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

2nd visit to Wingrove house and even better this time. We went to celebrate my sister's 50th birthday as we didn't fancy trying to park 3 cars in Brighton. We had the 3 course set menu which was really good value, and really tasty food. I like the fact they source so much of their stuff locally. I was probably the most disappointed with my very tomatoey haddock course, but that was my fault for ordering it, rather than theirs! The pork roast was apparently very good, and the chaps enjoyed mussels for the first time with the Skate. Crab starter was lovely, as was white chocolate and berry cheesecake. Happy birthday written on my sister's dessert was a nice touch. Friendly service, great value, lovely dining room and outside space - I will endeavour not to leave it a year before I return again!