“Excellent New Year's Day meal”
Review of Wingrove House

Wingrove House
Ranked #5 of 15 Restaurants in Alfriston
Price range: US$26 - US$39
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, Private Dining, Reservations
Reviewed 10 January 2017

Lovely décor, and excellent meal. We arrived on a dismal and grey New Year's day to stay overnight. Lovely atmosphere in a full restaurant. There was nothing going on in the hotel for the evening, very quiet, but the staff looked after us very well and left us a cheese board and tea/coffee to take us through the evening. Lovely lounge area, quality furnishings, newspapers, log fire. It really would be nice to have just a small selection of books/board games to choose from - plenty of space in bookcase in lounge, especially when it is so quiet!

1  Thank Janet C
WingroveSJS, Guest Relations Manager at Wingrove House, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2017

Dear Janet C - we so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us on New Years Day. Very good idea about the books and games - we used to have those in the lounge and it would be a good idea to put them back in. Thank you for the suggestion.

Reviewed 2 January 2017

Our first visit to this restaurant having seen it several times on our frequent trips to this beautiful village. Unfortunately the food was mediocre and the dining room lacked atmosphere....cages and cages of discarded deer antlers. Disappointing!

1  Thank DofTW
WingroveSJS, Guest Relations Manager at Wingrove House, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2017

Dear DofTW we are sorry you were disappointed with your visit.

Reviewed 26 December 2016 via mobile

What can I say, another fantastic meal at the Wingrove. I cannot recommend this place enough.

The staff are always friendly and welcoming. Lovely atmosphere and the food is great.

If you are looking for a lovely place to eat or stay for date night, a family meal or Sunday lunch - this place NEVER fails.

It's a delight to be at the Wingrove.

WingroveSJS, Guest Relations Manager at Wingrove House, responded to this reviewResponded 27 December 2016

Dear mlm05, thank you so much. We're delighted you enjoyed Christmas day with us - we all enjoyed it too! See you in the new year.

Reviewed 19 December 2016

Second time here and it wont be my last. Food & Service was very good. The quality of the food was to a high standard, good selection of wines and great ambiance.

WingroveSJS, Guest Relations Manager at Wingrove House, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2016

Dear billtrathen - thank you for taking the time to send a review, we're so pleased you enjoy coming here. We all love what we do and we hope it shows. Come back soon.

Reviewed 10 December 2016

We visited Wingrove House for the first time yesterday. We went with friends on their recommendation. We have visited the picturesque village of Alfriston many scores of times in the past and now find it hard to believe we had not previously dined at the Wingrove House.
On arrival the elegant , colonial style building was warm with open log fires and the decor and lighting immediately gave a cosy feeling. We were greeted by an engaging member of staff who took our coats to the cloakroom and whilst there is a large , attractive and comfortable lounge we opted to go to the table.
The dinning room staff were charming and efficient, the room was spacious and appealing. A log fire added to the atmosphere.
We ordered aperitifs from an enticing list of gins and looked at the appetising menu. The dishes were all interesting and the produce locally soured , the suppliers details being shown on the menu. The descriptions were enticing.
I'm not sure our group of four were intending to have three courses, we often don't but a glance at the menu suggested we would and this became a certainty when our starters were served. They all looked enticing so much so that a degree of cross-tasting had to occur! I was very pleased with my choice as indeed were we all.
The food was delightfully presented and the flavours fulsome. It was a joy. Our main courses were of the same high standard and so too were the deserts.
I thought it was the best meal I had eaten for a long time and the pleasant surroundings and excellent service made me quickly conclude 'I shall return'!
After the dinner we took coffee , un-rushed & relaxed in the lounge.
A very very enjoyable evening.
I haven't detailed the dishes here, because I don't think I'd recall the descriptions as well as they appeared on the menu, that's a pity on my part because they deserved quoting. All I will say is that I finished with an Iced Cappuccino Parfait that looked beautiful and was a smashing hit.

WingroveSJS, Guest Relations Manager at Wingrove House, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2016

Dear ChrisP - we're delighted that your first visit to us was so pleasing - come and see us again soon. Thank you for taking the time to give us such lovely feedback.