“A shock”

Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Brighton, United Kingdom
“A shock”
Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

Having eaten here before I recommended it when a friend offered to treat me. The smoked duck was sliced too thick, chewy. The staff cheerfully offered a replacement of the ham hock terrine - thankfully. The Thai curry bore no relation to Thailand. I ordered a steak cooked medium. It arrived well done, the chips were sodden and oily. When the bill came we asked if service was included and were told "no" so we handed over extra cash. On leaving we looked and the bill had included service. What is happening here?

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank woottonwitch
Roland C, Owner at The George Inn, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
I am so sorry that your experience at The George was not a good one. I was glad that the staff replaced the duck promptly for you. We get a lot of positive comments regarding our steak and Thai style curry, obviously on this occasion we did not deliver to those standards, for which I am very sorry. As for service charge we only ever put an optional service charge on large parties, which clearly you were not. If this was the case please contact me in person and I will fully reimburse you. You kindly said you had eaten with us before and that it was good, I do hope you can try us once more and we can show you that your poor experience was a one off.

Nottingham
“Picturesque old Coaching inn, lovely food”
Reviewed 6 April 2014

We met with family for a lunch on a Saturday, having booked first. Lovely menu, we all enjoyed our meals - mains around £12-16. Staff were helpful and friendly and the service was good. Nice relaxed atmosphere.

• Visited April 2014
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
“Wonderful food”
Reviewed 1 April 2014

The George in Alfriston is the place we choose to take our visitors when they come to see us as its standards are consistently high; the food is delicious, and the service is very good and feel it is the best pub/restaurant in Eastbourne. Try the duo of lamb - it is a triumph.

• Visited March 2014
“Welcoming Pub”
Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

Visited as part if a large group. Nice atmosphere, open fire, pleasant beer garden. And great value champagne :)

I believe the beers were good but I don't drink beer...

1 Thank RachelCockett
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Mmmm...Mother's Day”
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Delicious Sunday Lunch on the busiest day of the year for any decent restaurant. Our meals were wonderful, cooked beautifully and a really good choice for a set menu. The service was very good and there is always a lovely atmosphere at The George, a proper family run business. Look forward to coming back soon.

• Visited March 2014