“What a lovely reward for a 25 mile walk!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The George Inn

The George Inn
Ranked #6 of 12 Restaurants in Alfriston
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Bar Scene, Child-friendly, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Local cuisine, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
London
“What a lovely reward for a 25 mile walk!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

My partner and his friend were on their last overnight stay of five, nearing completion of the South Downs Way. They said this was the best meal they had eaten during the whole week. Not only was the food great, but the pub feels so welcoming and the service was excellent. Although we hadn't booked a table, one had been booked for us because they were full and didn't want us not to be able to eat as we were staying. I really like that kind of forethought. In terms of the food, we can thoroughly recommend the mussels and duck (in complete contrast to a recent review of the duck) and the trout and chicken/pasta mains. Portion sizes (especially the sharing platters and the cheese board) were very generous. Good choice of wines by the glass as well With one other exception I have generally been disappointed when eating in Alfriston. Now I want an excuse to go back to The George.

Reading, England, United Kingdom
“Very enjoyable stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

Stayed here on a Friday & Saturday night. Very impressed with my 'Single' room, some of the furniture was slight dated, but so what! Everything was clean and nice. The bedding and towels were replaced following my first nights stay.

Breakfast was excellent - a large choice of cooked options, range of cereals, juices etc.

Very friendly staff.

All round very good. Would love to return

Brighton, United Kingdom
“A shock”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

Having eaten here before I recommended it when a friend offered to treat me. The smoked duck was sliced too thick, chewy. The staff cheerfully offered a replacement of the ham hock terrine - thankfully. The Thai curry bore no relation to Thailand. I ordered a steak cooked medium. It arrived well done, the chips were sodden and oily. When the bill came we asked if service was included and were told "no" so we handed over extra cash. On leaving we looked and the bill had included service. What is happening here?

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank woottonwitch
Roland C, Owner at The George Inn, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
I am so sorry that your experience at The George was not a good one. I was glad that the staff replaced the duck promptly for you. We get a lot of positive comments regarding our steak and Thai style curry, obviously on this occasion we did not deliver to those standards, for which I am very sorry. As for service charge we only ever put an optional service charge on large parties, which clearly you were not. If this was the case please contact me in person and I will fully reimburse you. You kindly said you had eaten with us before and that it was good, I do hope you can try us once more and we can show you that your poor experience was a one off.
Nottingham
“Picturesque old Coaching inn, lovely food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

We met with family for a lunch on a Saturday, having booked first. Lovely menu, we all enjoyed our meals - mains around £12-16. Staff were helpful and friendly and the service was good. Nice relaxed atmosphere.

Eastbourne, United Kingdom
“Wonderful food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014

The George in Alfriston is the place we choose to take our visitors when they come to see us as its standards are consistently high; the food is delicious, and the service is very good and feel it is the best pub/restaurant in Eastbourne. Try the duo of lamb - it is a triumph.

• Visited March 2014