“Our wedding day at the George - everything we hoped for and more!”
Review of George Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Alfriston
George Inn
Ranked #4 of 6 Alfriston B&B and Inns
Reviewed 31 January 2013

My husband and I had our wedding reception at the George on the 15th December and it really was everything we hoped for and more!
We chose the George because we both wanted a traditional medieval location for the celebration and begun planning with Roland and Cate in January 2012. Right through to the day before they were a delight! We hired the restaurant room for 52 guests; the room hire charge was very reasonable and the food price quoted was far less than we were expecting - our guests all commented on the excellent quality and quantity of the food - everybody was delighted and nobody left hungry! My fiance and I wanted a relaxed winter wedding properly done and in the months, weeks and days before Roland and Cate were quick to reply to emails, very considerate, and on the day itself, we couldn't fault them or their staff. The room was tastefully decorated and Cate was very helpful with our own desires for table decorations, the cake and music. We also hired the bedrooms for the wedding party and they were clean, very comfortable and continued the theme of the rest of the inn; it was a real treat to stay there. Breakfast the next day was superb. Though we have no intention of marrying again (!) we would happily book the George for family events or for a good meal in the future, and would recommend for a visit of any description!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Bob Hall room, which has beautiful medieval wall paintings and a fantastic fireplac...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Emma C

Reviewed 23 January 2013

Oh dear...what a couple of miserable and unfriendly people. In today's climate of income versus expense these two did not deserve our custom. OK the place is old and exciting from the outside and it has a very welcome log fire but, where was the atmosphere? It had nothing for us. We had made a planned visit to Alfriston with the intention to eat here as we were here this time last year. Last year we were greeted by lively, happy staff and we had ham, eggs and chips. We had yearned to repeat our time in this beautiful high street 'village' and to have the same meal as we did last year. The difference this time was; no welcome Hello from the Bar, in fact, no speech at all. Even a grunt would have been nice but there was nothing at all other than a glaring look from the man and the woman standing behind the bar. Why behave like this towards customers? Do they not want custom? There was certainly no atmosphere here. We ordered our ham, eggs and chips and a bottle of sparkling water which was served by the Mr Miserable who had obviously got out of bed the wrong side that morning, unless he is always like this. The food was average. The chips (oven chips) were over done as were the two eggs. The ham was nice though and the small clump of salad leaves were fresh and tasty. But, the cost was way too high for what we had especially as we were not offered any condiments other than the salt and pepper on the table. How can you enjoy ham egg and chips without Ketchup? Not even any vinegar! Come on proprietors, how can you charge £25.40p for a poor meal like this? If you were more cheerful, welcomed your customers, said something to them and smiled occasionally maybe your pub would be filled with customers. I saw you stirring your 'cuppasoup' and eating it believing nobody was watching you. You don't deserve to have such a super building in a beautiful, pretty little village. It's not too late to make a New Year Resolution.....Be Happy! For sure you've lost two excellent travellers. We won't return. We'll go to The Ship on the opposite side of the road to you.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Michael T
Reviewed 14 November 2012

We were staying in this area in our motorhome and were meeting friends for a Sunday lunch. What a lovely location and olde worlde village.

We found the bar and restaurant to be well presented and staffed and a large open fire giving plenty of heat.

The food was excellent as was the variety of ale on offer. If we hadn't been driving later I think it could have become a very very happy event!!

All in all a very nice hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 November 2012

The George is in a lovely little town and nicely placed on the South Downs Way. The staff were very pleasant and welcoming but my room was dirty and noisy. Noise from the pub was very intrusive as the walls of my room ( close to the stairs leading up from the inn ) seemed to be made from a thin layer of plasterboard - that also let in light where it failed to fully join with the antique wooden beams. There was a lot of dust in the room and a gross-looking stain on the chair by the desk. When I ate supper I seemed to have to wave to the staff when I needed a menu, when I needed to order, when I needed the bill, when I needed to pay the bill. You get the idea. Nice people, but their attention wasn't on the customers.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank simonchaudoir
Reviewed 4 November 2012

My partenr and I booked a room for a special weekend away. I had called to ask if the room we liked the look of from their website would be noisy at the weekend, as it overlooked Alfriston High Street. I was assured that at weekends there was very little traffic on this road. The reality was very different; there were cars chundering past constantly from the time we checked in at 4pm on the friday utnil about 11pm at night and starting up again on Saturday morning. Plus as it is a very old Georgian building, with no sound proofing, you can hear everyone in the pub/restaurant until closing time.
There was no heating on in our room or in the ensuite bathroom at all during the whole time of our stay, the room wasn't particularly clean (the bedside lamps covered in dust). The price - £140 per night which included a very poor breakfast, (tasteless coffee and catering packs of tasteless jams and marmalade) we think was way over the top for the very poor standard. We had booked for 2 nights, but thankfully only paid for one. On the Saturday morning, we asked to speak to the manager or owner to explain why we were checking out and how dissapointed we were. At first a young and junior member of staff was sent to deal with us (very cowardly) and when the owner did appear, his main concern was that he was going to lose out as he "could have let the room out 10 times over" for the Saturday night! No matter that our weekend had been completely spoilt. He didn't really address our complaints, just said sorry regarding the heating, but didn't offer or offer us any compensation. We thought his 'customer service' was terrible. If you are thinking of going to Alfriston for a quiet weekend and are looking for clean accomodation, don't stay at The George Inn.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Soreh
Reviewed 26 October 2012

We revisited the George in view of the good recent reviews. It is a beautiful 14C building, and the log fires and great interior make a cosy, comfortable environment. It is dirty though. We ordered food in the evening, and my fork and spoon were dirty. I returned them to the counter and unbelievably, the landlady took them and wiped them with a bar cloth and gave them back to me. We did not stay to eat.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank pukkajon
Reviewed 25 September 2012

My son and daughter in law recently held their wedding reception at the George. Everything was perfect. A dream come true. The dinner was beautifully and very effieciently served to 50 guests. Welcoming cocktails were served in the garden. Some of us enjoyed it so much we returned for lunch the next day.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Jacqueline A
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alfriston
The Star at Alfriston
#5 of 6 in Alfriston
Wingrove House
Wingrove House
#1 of 6 in Alfriston

Been to George Inn? Share your experiences!