“I begin to suspect I may be an old f**t” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of My Brighton

My Brighton
Ranked #12 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“I begin to suspect I may be an old f**t”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

Okay, truth is for some purposes this hotel may be ideal, but...

Initial impressions (hence the Old F**t concerns) were along the lines of 'Whoa, why so much orange in the decor"? & "Not especially comfy environs" (hard chair smallish desk - waveform as well, go figure when your laptop etc is boring old square edged). This followed by an attempt to remember the SciFi film Woody Allen made yonks ago & "isn't this from Austen Powers"?

Wasn't just me either (OK, the candidates were a similar vintage) one - The Quiet American - kept looking about & saying "Faaaarrr Ouuuttt".

As time passed the positives finally made their way through my beleaguered senses:
1) The room I had (2nd floor rear) was both quiet & of a good size. That of a candidate - street side - was, he complained, noisy.
2) Inter room sound proofing is good.
3) I was able to re-jig the furniture (moving table finding cushions) such that the room was both practical & comfortable & - big plus here - housekeeping left things where I'd put them (I promise I put them back in the original positions prior departure
4)The hotel is well located - mind you, so are lots of others...
5) The staff were helpful. Just don't expect to see lots of them.

The negatives?
1) Although food is available nearby there are no restaurants within the hotel hence no room service (yes, I know I could go for carry out, lots of people were)
2) Breakfast buffet is poor & overly priced. (A couple of the candidates were visiting a nearby wetherspoons for what was reported as very goodeggs benedict for less money)
3) Not particularly competitively priced Staying on business - a seminar - so unaware of pricing I subsequently discovered that one of the candidates had elected to stay at an equally well positioned hotel as it was 60% cheaper.

Would I stay again? Yes, if somebody else was paying.

Would I choose it myself? Probably not.

Would I recommend it? Possibly. But not to anyone on the verge of Old F**rtdom.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank adrian e

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (486)
  • Polish first
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

This hotel is cute and trendy. Quirky is right. The room was quaint, but had enough room to meet our needs. The staff was extremely nice. Freddy Reynolds, guest services manager, went above and beyond, making us feel like VIP guests.

The entire staff was friendly and helpful. And I didn't even know that breakfast and free internet was included. We loved it. Brighton was a little further away from London than we would have liked, but for this little hotel in the seaside town of Brighton, it was a perfect stay.

Room Tip: Breakfast is very simple. If you like washcloths, bring your own. They only provide hand towels and...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Romsey, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

We stayed at the Myhotel Brighton for 1 night on 6th June. We are a couple with a 1 year old.

We loved the quirkiness of the room, we've stayed quite a few places, but never anywhere like this. Whilst being quirky, the rooms were incredibly practical and well thought out.

The hotel provided a cot for our little one, and the blinds were blackout blinds. We were pleasantly surprised that despite being very close to what looked like it could be a very lively area we did not hear a single thing (that was not because we were fast asleep, because the baby had us up in the night!).

The staff were very friendly and helpful, and I'd recommend using the car park as others have. The closest car park was £23.00 a night, so for the £6.50 extra it was worth it for the simplicity of just getting the lift to the hotel.

We didn't use the hotel for breakfast as it didn't sound that great for the money. Instead we went to Bills just around the corner which was amazing, and we'd highly recommend it for the food, and atmosphere.

We'll be returning to the MyHotel next time we want to stay in Brighton.

Room Tip: We had a More Superior room, I'm not sure what more we got than a Superior room could have offer...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Whambam4
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

Took my wife to Myhotel for a our first night out after having our first baby. I booked a standard room and did it in a bit of a rush. When we got to the room we found it to be absolutely adequate but wasn't quite what we wanted for a semi-special occasion. I went to reception and explained the circumstances and asked if there was any chance of an upgrade. The manager, Freddy, came out to help me and showed me to the room called Heaven...and it was really was! This is a lovely hotel room with great views over the North Laines. My wife absolutely loved it and we had a great stay. It wasn't a great deal more than a superior room but is definitely worth it. Thanks Freddy! The hotel itself is really well designed and is a nice change to your average city centre hotel room. The location is also perfect for a night/weekend in Brighton. Will definitely stay again.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jimmac_7
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

I like this hotel, however there was so much going on, some things were good and some bad.

First, the hotel is in an excellent location and handy for all the shops of Brighton there is also an abundance of great restaurants right on the doorstep.

Check in was easy and simple and the staff are friendly and helpful.

Now the rooms have a great concept, like a futuristic Holiday Inn with better bath products. There was a lot of style but a lack of substance. The bed is quite low to the floor, the desk is not really functional as it offers no writing space or any space to move. The chair whilst white funky in design is uncomfortable, the beds however are very soft and plush.

There is no in room ironing and a lack of space to hang clothes, there is a mirror and on the mirror are two stubs which one can hang clothes however by hanging your clothes you are the blocking the mirror.

Whilst the rooms are stylish they are also now a little worm, there are scuffs and marks everywhere and the walls are starting to look a little grey and marked, time for a refresh.

I did however, like the concept of this hotel I also enjoyed the food from the restaurant below which was excellent. Fun and funky, more suitable for a one night stay, I think after a few nights the novelty would start to wear off.

Room Tip: avoid the standard double, go for something a little more spacious with more ameneties.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Josh839
Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

Hard hotel to rate as many positives but the room did not do it for me. Great location in the lanes so if you want to explore Brighton and go to bars/restaurants/beach it's the perfect location. Staff were really friendly and it did not feel like they were robotic and forcing conversation which is a nice change. Parking is on site which is handy in the centre of Brighton, be sure to book though. Wifi worked well in the room which when away on business is essential. The downside for me was the room, it looked quite shabby and was not as luxurious as I was expecting, it would be quite depressing if you spent much time in there and I had a more superior room. perfect for a group on a stag do but not really catering for the business market in my opinion, which at around £160 a night you would expect it to. Next time I am in Brighton I would stay at drakes which is similarly priced but has nicer rooms, if they altered the rooms I would be back to myhotel as everything else was great.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

We recently spent an anniversary weekend at the hotel and were greeted by friendly and very helpful staff, and their below-ground parking is extremely convenient. The location couldn't be better if you want to visit the lanes (which we did) and is in easy walking distance of many great restaurants. In terms of our room it was clean and presentable and the bed was very comfortable.

Unfortunately there were issues with our room and the hotel itself. As mentioned in other reviews the shower and toilet facilities in the room are not separate from the rest of the room, therefore there is very little in the way of privacy which we did not appreciate. We also found that none of the windows opened which meant a lack of fresh air. Our TV provided only a few channels and was very basic in its operation. In this day and age I would expect a better level of entertainment available.

We popped down for breakfast in the morning which was ultimately disappointing. Firstly breakfast was served in a bar which we did not feel was entirely appropriate. Food was laid out on the bar but there was no option for cooked food such as bacon and/or eggs. We were told that breakfast was served from 8am however the food and coffee was not ready until half past eight. The person preparing the food kept leaving to talk to the reception staff and did not appear as professional as expected of a four star hotel. He was dressed in untidy, casual attire and had his earphones in whilst working.

Overall we were disappointed with the time spent at Myhotel Brighton. For the price paid and the supposed four star rating we expected more.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple