“noise noise noise!!!!!!!!!!”
Review of My Brighton

My Brighton
Ranked #13 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed 21 July 2014

What's the definition of a hotel?
Certainly not this.! Okay so it looked quirky, but beyond that it had nothing to offer in terms of facilities. The room was beyond basic and the decor was cheap. My room overlooked a back yard full of bins that were overflowing with rubbish. After a busy day I settled down to a good nights sleep. No chance! The noise from below went on and on and on. I couldn't leave the " hotel " fast enough. When we left 2 nights earlier than intended to move hotels, they didn't even ask why! I'm guessing it's not the first time this has happened to them.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Emily F
Write a ReviewReviews (2,305)

Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

This hotel is like a really chic, stylish Travelodge but with so much more! The rooms are colour-coded per floor and have speakers built into the ceiling with a jack to play your own music! The bathroom is open plan but so cool. The frosted glass door didn't bother me, no different to an actual wooden door in a travelodge - just ask the person to put the TV on - or some music in the ceiling speakers! High quality bathroom freebies too.

The best bit about our stay was the bed. The most comfortable bed I've slept on. I asked the receptionist where they got the mattress and they said they would happily find out and email me! Service very good and friendly also. They even do an "express checkout" where you can just fill in a form which is popped under your door in the morning with the card and pass to reception, sorting out any extra charges later! Location convenient, right on the North Lanes shopping district and only 10 mins walk to the station. Would definitely come back and recommend!

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Redfoxjo
Reviewed 20 July 2014

This is a hotel with a difference and funky. Service is good and the rooms light and airy and it has free wifi. There were some little design issues with the room e.g. no light switch near the bathroom so the light had to be left on all night, but otherwise it is clean and has a different feel to the run of the mill. Has a great coffee place attached (Small Batch Coffee Co) and all the amenities on the door step.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tim M
Reviewed 19 July 2014

The MyHotel Brighton offers an interesting and unique visual look however the overall experience is let down in several areas.

The room I was allocated, 190, was initially pleasant upon entry, however this soon changed when I noticed the large orange stain on the carpet, the fact the carpet didn't even fit properly and had come away from the join with the vinyl and then there was the view.... the spectacular view of a white wall, pavement and a pair of grey doors. Not what you expect from any hotel (unless stated no view), let alone a first floor window.

This is the first hotel I have come across where they restrict the number of devices you can connect to the wifi with. I therefore had the choice of which of my three devices to connect. I thought this may not be a problem as when I had one device turned off I could use the other - sadly this did not work and I simply got an error saying the password could not be used again.
Whilst this was a minor annoyance the major annoyance came when actually trying to use the Internet. It was very reminiscent of a dial-up modem, waiting for pages to load became tiresome very quickly. I found the next day that the Internet was much better until shortly after 5pm when it quickly ground to a halt again. I can only assume that the infrastructure cannot cope with the number of guests trying to use it, with the evening being more of a peak time at the hotel. I can only assume this is why there is a restriction to the number of devices a guest can use on it, but either way this is simply not adequate enough and needs serious review. Sure enough the wifi was painfully slow again for the rest of the night.

An interesting part of any hotel stay is working out which light switches control which lights. My room had the infamous switch which appears to control nothing, then a dimmer switch which I assume was meant to control the main lights but didn't want to dim a thing.

One positive was the plug socket next to the bedside table so you can charge your phone and leave it near you over night, something many hotels lack. That said, only one of the two provided next to the bed really worked properly, the other seemed to have a mind of its own as to when it actually wanted to work.

The "tablet sized safe" is just that and should be taken literally. The in-room speakers are a nice touch, however there should really be some literature on how to use the system. As this is something I am familiar with I had no problem but to someone else having a cable with a note saying 'feel free to use me but if you want to take me home there is a charge' is a little non descriptive as to what it is for.

The workstation is not designed for doing any work, the seat area positioned under the smallest part of it.

For £130 a night at a 4* hotel which describes itself as "luxury" you do not expect these flaws. I do not see how this room can be priced at the same rate as other standard doubles when it is in fact an 'inside' room, there may as well not be a window - you get no view from it and you could not even open it as it was locked shut. If the hotel fails to get the basics right on a standard double I would not want to pay more for a superior grade of room.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Michael G
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Just got back from a 3 night stay at the MyHotel in Brighton. My boyfriend and I chose the hotel as we didn't have much to spend and the early bird rates meant we got the Superior Double for £300 for the 3 nights which is the same as the Premier Inn just around the corner! I don't have much experience of hotels but I found that this one was exactly what I was looking for and totally exceeded expectations. This hotel is in an ideal location with a wide range of restaurants/ bars/ shops within a few minutes walking distance! I stayed in the Superior Double on the Green floor, I was lovely and light and modern. The whole place was well presented and clean with unique features such as the art on the blinds. The mini bar was well stocked with basically everything you could want/ need although I did steer clear of it due to the prices. There was a huge range of complimentary tea/ coffee as well as a little bottle of fresh milk which was a nice touch. I would also have to say that it is a great bonus that you really don't need to take and toiletries with you as they have generous and high quality products stocked in your room. There were only a few negatives of this hotel which weren't really a huge deal; firstly as we stayed on the top floor the windows allowed a lot of light in, they also allowed the people working in the office directly across to have a great view straight into the room. Also the blinds do not stop all the light getting in (blackouts would be a great improvement but i could see how this may affect the design). Last tiny thing is that I would only recommend sharing a room with someone here if you are very comfortable with them as the shower room is very open plan with a large hole in the wall directly across from the shower and the toilet is only separated from the room by a frosted glass door, but again still lovely a coordinated design.
Overall had a great time and would definitely go back !

Room Tip: Top floor had great rooms but would ask for one on the sides to avoid the office workers having a di...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JMFK28
Reviewed 17 July 2014

i had specifically booked this hotel for sentimental reasons. When there was a problem with the booking (overbooked due to website error) they were v apologetic and helpful and when i explained the issue (not just any booking to me) they sorted out the mistake and got me a room. Fantastically helpful throughout. Room was quiet, clean and in the middle of town.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Claudia987654
Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

My girlfriend booked a stay in this hotel included in a surprise for my Birthday and It was fantastic!

It is very modern and has such a great atmosphere inside, reception even provide you with a cable so you can play your own music in the room through the speakers.

We stayed in a superior double room. It was clean, spacious and comfortable with a well stocked minibar (pricey as all minibars are but convenient!)

There is a restaurant and a bar downstairs with a nice atmosphere, didn't get the chance to go to the bar but saw the cocktails and they looked great! Will definitely give it a look when I go next time!

Will be booking again sometime in the near future. Great hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014